Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moved to the Dark side

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:14 PM
benedict_arnold
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moved to the Dark side

Hi,
Been riding motorcycles since I was 16. I've always ridden sport bikes though. I recently sold my R6 and want to get a harley. Almost killed myself too many times on the crotch rocket. I want a dyna but can't afford it. Now I'm looking at sportsters. I'm just worried it might feel too small. I'm 5'8", 150lbs. Just looking for some advice on shopping for a bike. Any input is welcome. Thanks.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:19 PM
jody7734
Intermediate

If you want a Dyna, you could go for a used bike. There are some really good bargins out there on used bikes right now. I would suggest going to your local HD shop and test ride a couple of sportsters. Good luck.

P.S. a year ago I sold my rocket and bought a road king, I'll never go back..

Old 06-12-2010, 08:22 PM

At your size, no Harley will feel "small." Even the Sportsters are pretty big. I came from a GSXR1000R, and have had a slew of Harleys since then. I'm 6'0", 200 lbs (just lost 75#, but was on Harleys even at the large side of it). Since you are used to crotch rockets, the XR1200X will feel best to you, as it has rear set pegs, and a somewhat sporty riding position. Next best is my personal favorite, the Forty-Eight. This is a completely different riding position than you are used to, but it really lets you stretch out (for a Sportster, that is).

By the way, if you really want a Dyna (FXD), get a Forty-Eight, and I'll trade you straight up.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am 6 foot and 200 pounds and I am comfortable on my 1200L.
I don't think of it as a little bike as I came off a 1969 Triumph Daytona (500cc).

Most of the Harleys are low though.
Longer shocks and a thicker seat help a lot, and improve the ride quality.

Brett

Old 06-12-2010, 08:58 PM
medic2931
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 5' 7" and 145. I bought an Iron last May and put on some forward controls. You are not too big for a sporty that's for sure. Sporties are not girls bikes as they are more top heavy and off balance than most other Harley bikes so don't let the reputation about being smaller get to you. Go sit on some bikes and test a couple. Sit on an Iron or Nightster for mid controls and a 48 or 1200C for forward controls. I recently went from my stock stocks to 12" Street Glide shocks and it's made a big difference is ride. If you like your sport bikes I don't think you'll be unhappy on a Sportster vs. something bigger.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:10 PM
zombiehifi
Stage III

I am 5'8 and weigh 165. I have a 1200C. With the forward controls and the way the bars are raised, I am stretch when I ride. I rode ducati's before I got my Sporty. Love it and wouldn't get rid of it for anything. I did have to change to wide glide shocks on the rear though. When I am 2 up, I bottomed out. Not anymore, love the ride.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:48 PM
pochunk69
Cruiser

I love the name, switching from a crotch rocket to a sportster and then nameing yourself after one of the most famous traitors ever, nice. But if I remember from freshman history class, didn't he become a crossdresser to try to get out of the country? Good luck on that part! Anyways I'm alot bigger than you and drive a nightster. Also went on a ride with a friend that has a rocket and more people checked out my bike than his. I like how you can really customize a Harley to get a look that you like. You won't have the top speed like you might be used to but can do 100+ without a problem on any 1200.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:01 PM
eviltwin415
Tourer

Benedict Arnold was actually captured in my hometown, now called Sleepy Hollow (yes, the story). I'm 5'7" 150 and my Nightster is not too small at all. I like the mid controls though, whereas a lot of guys on here like the forwards. I can't say, I've never ridden with them. I'm running mini apes too. One thing I would advise, do not buy new!!! Get one that's already had at least a couple of the things you want already done, most important to me is stage 1, or at least new pipes. A new seat, then shocks would be my order of priorities, but with another model, the shocks might be ok. OTD harleys are expensive, then you just have to dump a bunch of cash into them to make them your own. even if you buy something used and stock, you're still saving thousands! Anything '04 and up can probably be had for between $4k-$8k, and '07 up is FI (i think), or if you want a dyna used, you'll still get it cheaper than a new sporty OTD.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:16 AM
Williams HK-WS
Advanced

5'9" 170 lbs and the 1200 is perfect to me size wise. You'll be surprised how heavy they feel because of the high center of gravity. Welcome to the forum from a fellow Tennessean!

Old 06-13-2010, 04:36 AM
Steeler
Road Captain
Default Howzit

If you prefer the DYNA go for the Dyna,the only time a sportster looks small is when its parked next to one of the larger Harleys.It's a lot bigger than most of the jap bikes that have large people ridding them.You want to have the power the look the manoverabilty of a decent sized bike the Sportsters for you.But at the end of the day its the look of the bike that pleases your (what I want,factor)good luck with your choice.

Quick Reply: Moved to the Dark side