Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project bike recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Robicycle
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project bike recommendations?

Hey, I am considering buying a bike to work on and sort of make it my own. I was looing for recommendations from more experienced wrech guys as to what makes a great project bike. I am seriously leaning to a '74 ironhead. I have seen some amazing builds and their sound is just amazing! Are there better years that people would recommend?
..or would you suggest that if this is the year I want just go for it?

I don't mind putting in the time and the money for a basket case or even a rolling chassis that needs a bit of work. I am very mechanically inclined but have no experience working on motorcycles. So perhaps it is a better idea to get one that is put together but still needs work to get running.
I would really appreciate any experienced advice.

P.S. I am also from Canada do it would be nice to find some peopel aournd my area with similar interests.

Last edited by Robicycle; 06-12-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

build what you like best. the only real important part of a build is to keep doing it till the bike is finished. unfinished bikes are insulting to [whichever] god.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:53 PM
capitalist_slave
Road Warrior
Lightbulb

A triumph or a knucklehead...? That's what i want to base a build on some day.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Robicycle
Intermediate

Yes, I want to buy a project, either rolling or basket....however, I think with my lack of experience the rolling am be a better idea. After I have it, I want to take the time and make it my own... no rush. Work here, buy this or that , work on it gaain..etc.

I will wait until the bike is done though.... I have seen some awsome choppers using ironhead engines and would like that style. However, people have sugegsted that I avoid a hardtail if I am planning on talking the bike on long rides which I would like to sooner or later. I have also seen some nice boobers that I like.

I do like the Knuckles though also. Although, people keep telling me the Ironheads are the easiest to work on.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:50 PM
capitalist_slave
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Robicycle
Yes, I want to buy a project, either rolling or basket....however, I think with my lack of experience the rolling am be a better idea. After I have it, I want to take the time and make it my own... no rush. Work here, buy this or that , work on it gaain..etc.

I will wait until the bike is done though.... I have seen some awsome choppers using ironhead engines and would like that style. However, people have sugegsted that I avoid a hardtail if I am planning on talking the bike on long rides which I would like to sooner or later. I have also seen some nice boobers that I like.

I do like the Knuckles though also. Although, people keep telling me the Ironheads are the easiest to work on.

A good piece of advice to take into consideration, especially if you plan on taking it on rides far from the comfort of your own garage.

Either way, i respect you for undertaking the project and hope to be doing the same someday.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Robicycle
Intermediate

Sure, always a good point to consider!
I am hyped about this project. Now just a bunch of research and design considerations.
1974 Ironhead chopper with a blend of old school and modern stylings.
Seem like somthing I can get into! Just something to work on in my spare time.

Thanks for the help and advice so far.