Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust question - can I just remove the factory mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Krakanator
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
Your dealer is full of ****.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:23 PM
pochunk69
Cruiser

I'm in the same boat you're in, want new pipes now but can't swing the pipes, tuner, and air intake all at once. I'm going to save and do it all over winter. You should just wait till you can do it right just like all the kids need to wait till christmas for their presents.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:27 PM
pochunk69
Cruiser

Also, I know in WI theirs talk about needing emissions done on bikes possibly and the couple of people I know that drilled out their baffles or got rid of their stock exhaust are worried that if it goes through they'll need to get new stock pipes to pass emmissions then change them back. If that's the case by you I would atleast save the stock pipes just to be safe.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:37 PM
valacech
Advanced

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
Your dealer is full of ****.
Yes, the dealer is full of it. My dealer told me the same thing. I am not a mechanic, but I've spent my fair share of time under the hood. You will not blow up your bike. You will not melt a valve. You will not experience stalling or any of the other BS they are telling you, especially on a fuel injected motor. Trust me on this, when you put the pipes on it will start up just fine. It will still have lots of power and pull. Honestly, I put the Shorty's on my 883 and really didn't notice much of a change. It runs about the same. If you put just the pipes on, you'll be fine. Once you put the intake on, you will need the dyno tune or the computer upgrade or whatever. Trust me, I have been running it with just the pipes as an upgrade for a few hundred miles and haven't had an issue.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Healey2Harley
Road Master

My son had cycle shacks put on his Nightster at the dealer when he bought it without any other mods and it runs and sounds fine.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:51 AM
smartcommerce
Stage III

Hi,everyone.I am a new member and this is my first post.Last week I bought a 2010 iron 883.I want to know something,please share your experience with me.I want to put an exhaust.Which one do you suggest.And do I have to install any other thing except the exhaust like breather,or a kit.Is it a must of installing an exhaust.Because I just only want to install an exhaust.Here in my country the dealer told that I should install other components when I want to install an exhaust otherwise the engine spends more fuel and gets hotter more quickly.Is it a trick to sell more items.Or is it true.Thanks and kindest Regards...

Old 06-09-2010, 09:44 AM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

4t8...you can punch out the baffle plate in the center of your muffler w/o ill effects. will give to bike a nice rumble...louder than stock, but not obnoxiously loud. or buy some slip-on se or cycle shacks, the se's are a bit louder than stock and the cycle shacks a bit louder than that. as long as you dont mess with the a/c, you will not have to mess with the fuel management. so, for nothing, you can modify the stock mufflers. for a little cash, buy slip-ons. also for a cheaper alternative on fuel system, you can try the xied's. read about them on nightrider.com...pretty interesting and worth a few minutes of time to read. good luck. smartcommerce..your exhaust choice will be how loud and how much? again, slip-ons are a cheap upgrade, modify existing pipes even cheaper. you will not hurt your bike with changing mufflers only...when you additionally start changing a/c's along with the exhaust...fuel management upgrades will be necessary. hope this helps