Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improving Safety and Visibility

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:49 PM
SHTFIT
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a good article on the improved visibility of white helmets http://www.motorcyclesafety.state.mn...?cid=5&mid=288.

Recently, I was driving behind a group of riders at night and all but one had black helmets. The only one I could really see was the one rider with the light helmet. The lights on bikes are generally so small, that regardless of brightness, they can really blend into the night. That said, brighter is always better!

Old 06-05-2010, 08:47 PM
valacech
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad this thread turned into crap. How about we get back to the subject of safety and stop arguing like school age children? I don't think there is a need to be calling each other jack *** and the like. This isn't a debate forum. Some people are just sharing their thoughts and perspectives. If you disagree, PM them because the rest of us don't care.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

If you look, you'll notice that there are a lot of almost invisible bikes out there: small single taillights, tiny turn signals, various shades of grey paint ("Hey, why don't I paint the bike the color of the road!") and so forth, so this thread is a very viable concern.
OTOH, I believe in freedom, design and such, but where form and function meet, I'd prefer to err on the side of function, and that includes safety.
Again, none of us want to see the gov't messing with those freedoms and delegating neon orange vests or flashing lights on top of helmets. Supporting any legal safety measures usually comes with a price.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:48 PM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by valacech
I'm glad this thread turned into crap. How about we get back to the subject of safety and stop arguing like school age children? I don't think there is a need to be calling each other jack *** and the like. This isn't a debate forum. Some people are just sharing their thoughts and perspectives. If you disagree, PM them because the rest of us don't care.
So, tell us....why did you post this? Why not just PM whomever you were referring to??

As to this not being a debate forum......does that mean we should always agree with whomever posts first? Every forum has it's "debates".

This whole thing IS about safety....one of the early responders said it is SAFER without reflectors. This is not just arguable, it is laughable!

As far as the "jackass" comment.....I was called a jackass because I disagreed.....so yea, I said it.....a jackass thinks it's actually SAFER without a reflector.

And yes, I am sharing my thoughts and perspectives. Whether you care or not, is of no concern to me.

If someone can prove to me that it is SAFER without the reflectors......bring it on. Then I can sue H-D for making my bike so unsafe from the beginning!

As I said before, I removed mine purely for cosmetic reasons. But I also know that by removing them, it makes my bike just a little bit more UNSAFE, not SAFER.

Last edited by kahaone; 06-05-2010 at 09:57 PM.