Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A quick question about rocker gaskets, am I missing a gasket here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:54 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A quick question about rocker gaskets, am I missing a gasket here?

Enclosed is the picture of one level of my rocker. I only see one seal, where two could go, one on each side. Only two came in my set, one for each head. So do I just replace the one I have, or does two go on each head? It seems like these would restrict the oil return flow, but is that their purpose?

Thanx, I am trying to button up one side tonight. Randy D.

Last edited by RandyDowdy; 08-15-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:20 PM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Randy, I hope you don't mind if I follow along here. I came home from a 65 mile ride yesterday and there was a thin coating of oil on the clutch housing. I thought the clutch cover gasket had started to leak. Then I discovered oil on the left battery cover tin and on the left side of the rear wheel. Its comming from the left side of the rear cylinder rocker box. Bummer. Seems to happen a lot on here.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:31 PM
garslayer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '08 Custom developed a rocker cover leak last Friday. This seems to be contagious.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:46 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1200Cdriver
Randy, I hope you don't mind if I follow along here. I came home from a 65 mile ride yesterday and there was a thin coating of oil on the clutch housing. I thought the clutch cover gasket had started to leak. Then I discovered oil on the left battery cover tin and on the left side of the rear wheel. Its comming from the left side of the rear cylinder rocker box. Bummer. Seems to happen a lot on here.
Mine was pouring, and I had to tear the bike down to paint it so this was the opportune time to fix all ills. When I tore it down, the lower paper rocker gasket had shrunk considerably, and it was POURING out the void.

The assembly is not complicated. I was intimidated to begin with, but just jumped in feet first. I was surprised the hex bolts, 1/2" were not very tight. The allen bolts WERE tight. There are 4 bolts on the top cover, 4 hold the rocker arms, then 3 hex and 2 allen on the lower cover.

I need to see if these are the "umbrella" seals that I read others talking about.
There is a place for 2 seals, but only one was on the first rocker setup, and only 2 in the whole kit, which should be one for each side. I just want to make sure I do this right, I don't like to go back.

Thanx for the help, Randy D.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:03 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

You only use one umbrella valve per a rocker. Make sure it goes in place of the one you take out.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:16 PM
drum412
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only one umbrella valve per rocker. The umbrella goes over the breather bolt/intake side of the head. Without it, or with it on the wrong side, you'll be puking out oil out of the breathers. I learned that the hard way after the first time I changed my lower rocker gaskets, as I didn't pay attention when I put them back on.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:58 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
You only use one umbrella valve per a rocker. Make sure it goes in place of the one you take out.
Originally Posted by drum412
Only one umbrella valve per rocker. The umbrella goes over the breather bolt/intake side of the head. Without it, or with it on the wrong side, you'll be puking out oil out of the breathers. I learned that the hard way after the first time I changed my lower rocker gaskets, as I didn't pay attention when I put them back on.
Thanx guyz, I really needed the confirmation. I thought so, but would rather take a break and do it right than have to go back. Now I have to find another painter, my tins have not been touched in 2 weeks, and I stripped them myself before they were delivered! I think my cousin the painter got married and eloped, dammit. But that's another story, lmao.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:25 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There should only be one umbrella valve, as stated, and one rubber gasket that's shaped like the groove that goes all the way around that rocker including the groove around on the right of the picture you posted for the umbrella.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:36 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

I needed some good news. Thanx very much, now I have to put it back together!

Old 06-03-2010, 12:08 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

The front cylinder was easy, but the rear is a nightmare. I was beginning to think the motor had to come out of the frame to get the covers off. You have to turn them 90* then go straight out. The rear center 11mm bolt is a real biatch. So if anyone is debating this, yes, it can be done with ordinary hand tools. But it will take a little while, and you must have patience.

Tools:
3/16 allen wrench, either cut down real short or the type with the ball on the end.
11mm socket
1/2" 6 corner socket, or metric equivalent (12mm or 12 mm maybe) 1/4" ratchet size.
1/4" swivel and extensions

Quick Reply: A quick question about rocker gaskets, am I missing a gasket here?