Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sore Hands

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:18 AM
mikehoius
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sore Hands

I bought a used 2006 Sportster Roadster about a year ago and after 20 or so miles my hands start to hurt between the thumb and first finger. I changed the grips thinking that would correct the issue but it didn't. I road my dad's wife sprtster this weekend, an 883 Custom Low, this weekend and she has the same grips as my bike and I road for 3 hours and never had an issue.

I'm kind of at a loss at this point. I'm not using a death grip so I just don't know if it is road vibration I'm feeling. If anyone has any suggestions I am willing to listen at this point.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:45 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bars? & position of the bars?

Old 06-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Steeler
Road Captain
Default Hi there

I have the same issue,only the right hand,I've changed bars,gloves seating position.I have ridden bikes for years and never experienced it until I got the Nightster,I was starting to wonder if it was the diameter I inch bars 25,6 as compare to the 22mm bars,on jap bikes,but you say she has standard bars on hers with the same grips,That's my theory down.Then all it can be is the vibration.Its probably caused by the pressure on the nerve on the base of the thumb I get a similar ache when mountain biking for a couple of hours or more.H.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:47 AM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
Bars? & position of the bars?
+1 on this.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:48 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Were her bars higher/lower in relation to the seat height? or possibly turned back more/less at the grip? same peg location?

Old 06-01-2010, 03:12 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

has to be the heights of the bar or the angle of them on your bike.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:07 PM
citytrucker26
Road Master

I think its height and or angle of the bars.... Also rotate the bars to where they are comfortable. I took out the stock risers and put in 6" risers. 1" higher and I tilted the drag bars down about 15 degrees.... Did that this weekend and I put about 100 miles on it in comfort instead of misery... try rotating the bars. Doesnt cost anything.... Just loosen 4 bolts, sit on it and move em up or down to find a comfy spot. then tighten.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:08 PM
eviltwin415
Tourer

My hands hurt sometimes, but I think it's from white knuckling the bars at over 50 mph, or when I have to clutch and brake a lot. I actually lose blood flow to the fingertips that work the levers and take my gloves off and they are ghost white. It really makes me wonder if I could do a long haul. I was thinking raising the bars from 10"to 12" might help in case it's got something to do with my leaning on them. I'm also gonna go try out the quick release windshield I just picked up to see if it changes what I do at higher speeds.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:09 AM
mikehoius
Intermediate

Thanks for the replys. I'm going to move the bars back and see if that helps out.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Style aside, the riding position should allow a comfortable ride up to about 80 mph. Above that, vibration kicks in and you need to hold on tighter.

Any bike can be set up for a comfortable seating position so nothing is strained as you zip along at 70 mph without any windshields.

You should be able to have a very light grip on the handlebars at all speeds up to about 80 mph, without backrests, forward controls or windshields.
It can be done, although it might not look cool.

Harley makes it hard to do with the seats that lock you into a fixed position, older bikes had long flat seats you could move around on, a little taller, you just slide back an inch or two, shorter riders slid forward a bit.

I think Harley has thought this out and provides the low and locked in position seats with poor padding (on most), so you buy a mess o handlebars, forward controls, seats, risers, windshields, etc.

Same with the shocks, put the $5.00 shocks on and 5 weight fork oil and most people will surely spend bux at the dealers to fix the nasty ride.

On my old Triumphs, I could always ride all day long without problems, and speeds up to 120 mph were easy to deal with, no backrests, no windshields, no pain other than being stiff after all day rides.

The new triumph I had was not good, low hard seat, pegs too far back, bars too far forward resulted in much butt and wrist pain at the 50 mile mark.

On my new 1200L, lower bars help a lot, the mid peg location seems fine, the seat I am still working on, stock has what seems like 1/4 inch padding, the sundown seat slides me onto the gas tank, so I hacked the foam up to make more of a bucket, and its not too bad but a mustang is on order, and I will get hiway pegs (not forward controls) for long hiway rides.

I would love a long flat thick seat, even though it would look silly, as it would allow me and the wife to move around and have more room and choices.
I might try and have one custom made just to see how it would feel...

I think you can look really cool, or be very comfortable on a 12 hour ride, but not both.

Brett

Quick Reply: Sore Hands