Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 48 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:53 AM
Moustache
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EHLTB66
You lucky SOB! I owed the gov. this year. I've gotten a lot of parts from JPcycles and have been happy with their service and tech. department, I'm sure others will chime in with more sources. Lots of good info on this forum. Black wrap for sure.
JPcycles does have a good service dept. they've answered a few questions for me.

Originally Posted by hogwash
Two things I did to mine. Lower the turn signals to the lower triple tree and just file off the centering tab on the signal mount. Also, peel the black plastic covers off the front L/R tank mounts. Mine is silver so it made a big difference.
Thanks for the heads up about the plastic covers, i peeled them off last night but never would have noticed them unless you said something, thanks!

Originally Posted by Wander
Congrats on your new bike! I saw my 1st 48 out on the road today and had to pull over and have a chat......the guy had just picked it up and had 21 miles on the speedo. I gave it to him a little bit that it was sitting instead of sailing down a hwy but it was all in fun.

BTW Dennis Kirk's website is also a good one,similar to J&P.
THanks man i'll have to check that site out.

Originally Posted by SauerKraut
Welcome from the Holy City. Congrats on the new bike, Sportsters rule!
Sportsters do rule!!

Originally Posted by Doc4545
more advice...pay very, very close attention during your Rider's Edge class. I've been riding for over 40 years and most problems I've seen over the years are from inexperienced riders getting in over their heads and experienced riders getting lax.

Take the time to learn how your bike handles, brakes, bounces over the road (HDs are notorious for having lousy shocks). Frankly if you do feel compelled to start throwing money at your new machine the suspension will probably be the best place to start. A better padded seat might also be soon on your list.

Now having said that, these things do sound a little anemic. There are tons of options in the exhaust arena, look around, try and find a set that fit the style you like. Be aware that the different types of exhaust will also give different performance, you can go a simple as a set of slip-on mufflers or to a complete system.

Of course these are my own free opinions and you get exactly what you paid for them.

Congrats, you bought what I think is one of the best looking Sportsters the MoCo has come out with in years. Enjoy & ride safe.
Thanks for the insight! I decided on V&H slip ons in black and i will be removing the stock chrome heat shields and wrapping the pipes in tan wrap. Hope it looks as good as i am imagining

Old 06-14-2010, 08:49 AM
ItsTomFromNorthJersey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love the fat front tire, will that fit on a iron front end? too wide?

Old 06-14-2010, 10:09 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome from Nawlins!!!