Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy the 1200 custom

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:04 PM
WVleo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1200c

The 1200 C model was the only Sportster model I would ( and did ) purchase. Not a fan of the rest of the Sportsters tho a 1200L would fit the bill for Me but I wanted the front spoke wheel and all that chrome, 4.5 gal. tank and forwards. But that is why they make so many flavors. I think Harley Managment was hoping more Sportster riders would " move up " ( There wish not mine ) and the 1200C was causing more cruiser types not to make the BT purchase. Just Me pondering......WVleo

Old 06-01-2010, 09:43 PM
RokkinOut
6th Gear

Originally Posted by WVleo
The 1200 C model was the only Sportster model I would ( and did ) purchase. Not a fan of the rest of the Sportsters tho a 1200L would fit the bill for Me but I wanted the front spoke wheel and all that chrome, 4.5 gal. tank and forwards. But that is why they make so many flavors. I think Harley Managment was hoping more Sportster riders would " move up " ( There wish not mine ) and the 1200C was causing more cruiser types not to make the BT purchase. Just Me pondering......WVleo
That's an interesting theory. It makes a lot of sense.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:11 AM
RebelBugler
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RokkinOut
That's an interesting theory. It makes a lot of sense.
I wonder if Harley realized they were losing out on accessory revenue with the Custom, considering that the model comes standard with substantial chrome, larger tank, forward controls and spoked front wheel for essentially the same price as the comparable Sportster models.

If the Custom suits your appearance preferences and riding needs, I think it is the best value in the Sportster lineup.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:16 AM
stormer
Advanced

I bought a 07 1200c two weeks ago and do not regreat it.
But get what YOU want.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Notorious688
Road Master

I think if people can find parts for their panhead, shovelhead, and assorted Harleys from decades past, you will have no problems with a modern Harley. I mean, the Sportster has only been in production what... oh... 50+ years?

Old 06-02-2010, 11:48 AM
kal52
6th Gear

I got the custom after much thought on which model to get, what sold it for me was the options it had on it already.

Forwards already there, passenger pegs on it, Chrome instead of the grey on the nightster. tall spoked front wheel. and a "2 up" seat.

Just the money saved on those items allowed me to get a nice helmet, a windsheild, and sissy bar.

Ive looked at a lot of places and you can find just about any kind of do-dad, chrome, and pretty much anything else you can think of from tanks to tires that will be made for one.

After the fact Im glad I got the custom, the things I dont like, I can easily change, and im sure Ill change it often, until it feels right to me.

If the custom fits what you want, or like go for it, I really like mine.

Dave

Old 06-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Jersey_Sportster
6th Gear

Bought my first Harley just over a month ago. It's a 2009 1200 Custom, and it had 2,300 miles on it. I LOVE IT. It came with V/H exhaust, and it louder then my neighbors Fat Boy with S/E pipes.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:13 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior

another 1200c owner here-
i would not hesitate to buy it again and even now if i was buying it again...
have spent a whole lotta $$ modding the bike, and i can tell you that just about any part you want you can get- there are lotsa suppliers, so you arent stuck with the moco if they happened to not support parts any more (i dont see that happening either).
great bike, all around-

Last edited by wanabe; 06-02-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Maccam26
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Amen to this Quote!

Originally Posted by RebelBugler
I wonder if Harley realized they were losing out on accessory revenue with the Custom, considering that the model comes standard with substantial chrome, larger tank, forward controls and spoked front wheel for essentially the same price as the comparable Sportster models.

If the Custom suits your appearance preferences and riding needs, I think it is the best value in the Sportster lineup.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:22 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider83
I am wondering about buying my first HD, but I heard the rumors that for 2011 there will be no XL1200C Sportster® 1200 Custom, so I was wondering will it be a smart choice to buy it (parts, accessories, etc) or should I go for another model that wont be discontinued.

thanks for any advice
A. There aren't many parts that are only for the C model - actually none that only fit that model, but a few that are only original equipment on it - and they aren't going to quit making sportsters.

B. I have a 1997 and many of the parts for it only fit Sportsters made up until 2003 - I can still find anything I want for mine, new or used, very easily.

C. The C model comes with several things that put it ahead of other Sportsters in my book, starting with the riser/guage set-up, the bottom mount headlight and forward controls. My 1997 has been modified with all of those, including a C model handlebar riser(s). I basically made my own C model, which costs a lot, but my wife bought a C model and that's a lot better, cheaper and easier.

I'd grab one while you can, if you are looking for a new bike.

Quick Reply: Would you buy the 1200 custom