Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowered my roadster and had a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 11:11 AM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lowered my roadster and had a couple questions

Hey everyone,

My fiance just got her endorsement. So it was time to put the lowering brackets on my 06 roadster. They are the l shaped brackets with 3 positions for the lower shock bolt to attach to. We had to use the lowest position (furthest aft) and it effectively dropped the back 3 inches. I have 13.5 inch RK air shocks installed. I had a couple questions.

1. do I have to worry about the tire rubbing the inside of the fender when riding 2 up or going over bumps?

2. If it has a chance of bottoming inside the fender should I run a bit higher pressure in the shocks to keep the risk of it rubbing to a minimum?

3. I noticed on 1200L's that the front forks were at the top of the triple tree. Would I be ok not messing with the front and lowering it also? What drawbacks are there if I go that route. What advantages are there of lowering the front an inch.

Any other tips are appreciated. I want to make this bike totally safe and handle properly for her so she can get practicing and riding it to make it hers. The sooner I do that the sooner I get my Vrod

Thanks
MH

Old 05-30-2010, 11:32 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

I would bet YES, you will likely have a problem bottoming out when 2up. Your longer shocks (13.5") have a longer travel from fully compressed to fully extended, than shorter (10.5") shocks would and you've chopped your tire to fender clearance distance by almost 3" with the lowering blocks. This of course depends on the total weight of you and the OL.

Increasing the air pressure in the shock does not reduce the shocks travel distance, it controls rebound rate.

If you've lowered the rear of the bike, then lowering the front by sliding the forks up in the triple trees an inch or so is a good idea and will work fine.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:05 PM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charley,

Thanks for the reply. As always good info. I knew the air was for rebound in the air shock not travel just had a brain fart with because of my concern.

I rode the bike 2 up a short distance away to a parking lot for her to practice. When I got home sure enough there was a rub mark inside the fender on the wiring. This concerns me.

So a 10.5 inch shock has less overall travel than a 13.5 inch shock. So am I correct in thinking that if I used a 10.5 inch shock to lower the bike for her the shock would bottom out before the bike would bottom out in the fender keeping it from rubbing? Would it make for a rougher ride at times when a bottoming condition would occur, but would be safer having the shock bottom its travel than the tire bottoming int he fender and rubbing and potentially tearing the wiring, fender, or tire up?

I appreciate the advice and help so far. Since she passed her class and got her endorsement I am trying to fit this bike to her (she is only 5'3) and make it totally safe as its a great bike. I have a sundowner seat on it now but I may have try to sell it or trade for a reach seat. Right now I am trying to keep the costs to a minimum,

Thanks
MH