Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Motorcycle, First Motorcycle Accident

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:42 AM
valacech
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Motorcycle, First Motorcycle Accident

So the weather here in NJ was perfect last night. Low 80's, no humidity and sunny with a gentle breeze. I was meeting some friends for a BBQ in a town about 8 miles from my house and followed a friend there. The plan was, since I would not be drinking, if he were too intoxicated I would leave my bike there and then drive us home in his car. A perfect, short ride with some highway cruising and some local roads without much traffic on them. I exited Route 17 and continued on my merry way towards my destination. As always when slowing, I pulsated my brakes lightly so as to flash them and alert drivers behind me of my intention to stop. I stopped at a red light behind my friend.

While waiting at the light, I felt like I had been kicked by a mule, square in the ***. I honestly had no idea what happened though it didn't take long to figure out. I turned around, prepared to kill whomever the operator of that vehicle was. Crazy part was that my rear tire had been wedged underneath her bumper and was actually holding my bike up perfectly without my even being near it. Seriously, an 8 year old girl or Goliath could have dismounted that car and I would have wanted to strangle them.

A very young, very petite, and very cute 22 year old girl was standing by her car, speechless. It's a good thing she was speechless, because I had more than enough obscenities, accusations and insults to go around. After making her cry, the Police finally arrived and took the report. The tow truck took my baby away. And my friend got the girl's number. Unbelieveable, I know, but it is true.

I am lucky to be alive. Needless to say, I was the one that got drunk and my friend decided to be the DD.

After reporting the accident to my insurance company and sending my bike off to some garage owned by the tow truck company, we left the scene.

My 2009 Iron had the rear fender pretty much smashed and there was some noticeable wrinkling on the rear tire. The tail/brake/signal lights broke off. I am sure that the rear fork/suspension will need to be replaced. For some reason, even though the bike was in neutral, the engine stalled out and cut off. There was also some fuel that appeared to have leaked from the tank near the fuel tank cap. I don't know if there is any transmission/engine damage or any frame damage. You cannot know how pissed I am.

Does anyone have any advice?

Old 05-23-2010, 09:49 AM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

This why, when stopping at a light, I always have and escape route and watch my mirrors. Never stop so close to the car in front that you can't go around. Leave the bike in gear, never neutral, so that escape is just a quick clutch release away. Stop either more to the right or left of the car in front so that you can go around if need be. You got very lucky.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:05 AM
jeffc68
Tourer

Damn that sucks. Hope you get it fixed and back on the road real soon.

When I am stopped I am always taking peaks at my mirrors and in gear so I can get out of dodge is something doesn't look right(sometimes you have no where to go) but even if you did that I am not sure it would prevented your accident.

Lets us know how much damage was done.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:25 AM
dustycanadian
Cruiser

Sorry for your loss dude, I'd be heading off to the doc asap to check for damage. You took quite the wallop and even if you don't feel it right now, you could have some internal damage. If you're tender anywhere, tell the doc.

Just remember: the bike is your baby but it all can be replaced. You? you're it.....if you damaged a back muscle that's it. it will bother you for the rest of your life (speaking from experience).

Oh yeah, if you even THINK the frame is bent? Don't settle for anything less than a new bike. Even with today's technology once a frame is bent, it will never ride the same again. Make sure you take it to a harley dealer for a full assessment, not jimmy joe's car shop.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:28 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,422 Likes on 22,661 Posts

Let me guess, she was texting?

Old 05-23-2010, 10:36 AM
dustycanadian
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Let me guess, she was texting?
Oh F&ck, if she was? She should lose her licence...

anyone seen that video on youtube about the perils of texting? Every kid should be forced to see it......the most haunting image burned into my head is the one where the baby's eyes go grey......that still gives me shivers......

Old 05-23-2010, 10:48 AM
valacech
Advanced

That's exactly what I accused her of. I believe my verbal raping of her went something like this: "What the f*ck? Are you f*cking blind or something? Did you just get your license these week? Because you look like your f*cking 16!! Let me guess; texting while driving huh?" to which she replies "n-n-no I didn't realize how close you were." to which I replied "How close? I was right f*cking in front of you. When you move forward, things come towards you. I guess we know how God damn close I was now, don't we."

I can't remember exactly what I said but I have been reviewing it in my head and that's pretty much the jist of our interaction. After I had calmed down, I apologized while waiting for the officer and shared a smoke with her (though I don't really smoke), but I needed something to calm my nerves. In any case, I was livid.

The only reason I put the bike in neutral was because I had to take my hands off the bars to adjust my goggles. Otherwise, I always leave that sucker in gear ready to roll out. I took the MSF BRC and they taught us that. Good info. I also saw the vehicle approaching, and it appeared to be slowing down sufficiently so I didn't pay much attention to it... until it smacked into me.

As far as injuries, I was actually pretty relaxed when I got hit and as soon as I felt the impact my first instinct was to jump off the bike. I had no cuts, bruises or pain at all. This morning, I still feel perfecly fine. No headaches or soreness (teeny tiny hangover, but I drank a lot of water, ate a hearty breakfast and had some coffee). All in all, I am extremely lucky. Fortunately she was driving a Toyota and not an F-150.

Last edited by valacech; 05-23-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:56 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,422 Likes on 22,661 Posts

I still think that she was texting, but I'm sure she would not come out and admit it.
Sheit, at a stop or red light it's prime time for those who text to start texting.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:57 AM
dustycanadian
Cruiser

LOL at your tirade, that's some good sh$t there!!!

She must have been moving pretty good, she didn't just bump into you, her bumper climbed your fricken back wheel.

I bet you dollars to donuts she was texting dialing or something.....

Old 05-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the way to go.
Too many people texting while driving, I followed a girl for 20 miles while she texted looking up for 1 second every 15 seconds, or longer.
I even got next to her (in the van) and laid on the horn, nothing....

I almost followed her till she stopped, I was going to grab her phone and throw it as far as I could.

I always watch behind, leave space, and keep my left foot on the peg, even 2 up, so I can shift into 1st and bolt.

Its the sign of a GOOD rider to not have both feet down, and to have the right foot up on the peg before the clutch is all the way out.
I laugh at guys with both feet on the ground, who have to do about 40 mph before both feet go up. They might look like bad biker dudes but they don't fool me.

Glad you are ok, think about how much worse it could have been...

Brett

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
This why, when stopping at a light, I always have and escape route and watch my mirrors. Never stop so close to the car in front that you can't go around. Leave the bike in gear, never neutral, so that escape is just a quick clutch release away. Stop either more to the right or left of the car in front so that you can go around if need be. You got very lucky.

Quick Reply: First Motorcycle, First Motorcycle Accident