Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Motorcycle, First Motorcycle Accident

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 12:19 PM
mrmeanbean74
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad your still with us.sorry to hear about your bike.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:42 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Make sure the bike gets to the nearest HD dealer ASAP on Monday morning. Go ahead and talk to your insurance company. They will lay the pressure on the OTHER insurance company. Stay on them. Worry the shyte out of them. Their driver was in the wrong, and they need to fix things quickly. They are lucky you weren't seriously injured.

If you feel ANYTHING, see a dok asap. Sometimes it takes a day or two before all symptoms start showing up. I admire your honesty, but in a crash like that, where the other driver was CLEARLY at fault, I think I would still be laying on the pavement screaming. That was too close to death to you, for you to only get the bike repaired. That just ain't right man.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Notorious688
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about that happening to your baby but at least you're okay.

Did you get any pictures of that cute girl? Hey, never let an opportunity go to waste!

Old 05-24-2010, 10:09 AM
njluder
Advanced

Sorry to hear about your accident dude...but as long as your ok...its all good.. i live in nj too...people around us just drive like A-HOLES....did the police issuse her any summons...if they didnt ....take your butt to the town court and sign one against her....

Old 05-24-2010, 11:13 AM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brett001
This is the way to go.

I always watch behind, leave space, and keep my left foot on the peg, even 2 up, so I can shift into 1st and bolt.

Its the sign of a GOOD rider to not have both feet down, and to have the right foot up on the peg before the clutch is all the way out.
I laugh at guys with both feet on the ground, who have to do about 40 mph before both feet go up. They might look like bad biker dudes but they don't fool me.

Glad you are ok, think about how much worse it could have been...

Brett
1. I'd have to disagree with you about it being a sign of a good rider to have 2 feet down. A "GOOD" rider will always have it in gear unless they are adjusting something.

I do try to remain vigilant nad watch behind when at a light. For the most part I do it. I usually do it until at least the first car behind me gets stopped but usually the second.

To many people not seeing us out there sigh.

Glad you are ok and could walk away from it.

MH

Old 05-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never leave it in gear, car or bikes, bad for the clutch.
An old Triumph practice, they had no throwout bearing!

Brett

Old 05-24-2010, 12:41 PM
rscalzo
Road Warrior
Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

the engine stalled out and cut off
The vibration of the hit probably set off the tilt sensor.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Krakanator
Tourer

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Let me guess, she was texting?
They just made texting while driving illegal in Ohio. If a cop sees someone they can pull them over just b/c of the texting. I feel like every time I'm driving and I think to myself, "WTF is the person in the red honda doing??", I get around them and to my surprise, they are texting.

To the OP, glad to hear you are OK. The same thing nearly happened to me last year, I rolled up about two feet and barely was missed. People don't pay attention anymore.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:55 PM
883Persian
Cruiser

im glad ur ok bro nothing serious

i lost the tip of my pinky finger cuz of an accident it was my fault ..i popped the clutch 2 fast and i hit a car next min i see i dont have the tip of my pinky .... nothing else happened no broken bone nothing no scratches ...

my bike finder got damaged , forks got damaged and handle bar and the tank got dented ..all getting fixxed though ive been waiting for nearly 5 weeks now..i need 2 wait another 2 weeks ..then itll b done

Old 05-24-2010, 07:28 PM
WDHGS
Road Captain

I think all of us can relate to a situation where we've escaped with minimal damage from an accident, when in retrospect we could have been really hurt. Glad to hear you're OK--just keep spreading the story and hopefully we'll keep getting laws passed that will force people to actually pay attention to driving while driving....instead of texting or screwing around with the radio, phone, MP3 player, DVD, CD player, or nav device.

Quick Reply: First Motorcycle, First Motorcycle Accident