Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Nightster

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 03:43 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah how cheap is REAL CHEAP?

Old 05-21-2010, 03:49 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I think it depends on how cheap "REAL cheap" is, if you talking about a grand...I'd buy it, if your talking 5 grand...I wouldn't bother with it.
Also might depend on the title, don't know how it works where you are but does she have a clear title for it or is it titled as salvage now?

Old 05-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Promethear
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about to go over and get down to brass tacks with the lady. I will ask about the title and ask to see the estimates given (if any).

Have a question though. What exactly IS a salvage title? (ok...i can deduce that it has to do with something being wrecked and rebuilt...but what does it MEAN...in terms of legalities and whatnot).

Old 05-21-2010, 07:02 PM
dustycanadian
Cruiser

Up here in Canada we can't import a bike or car under salvage title. I would assume that it means the vehicle cannot be made street legal without some major work?? or at all? Least the frame that is.

If you got a new frame, it'd have it's own serial number, when you move over all the parts you have yourself a "new" bike.

I'm not sure if it applies to bikes, but at the barrett-jackson auctions they sold a bunch of GM and Ford mules/test vehicles and possible vehicle concept cars under a salvage title. When they started auctioning off these vehicles they announced that it was a "salvage title only and cannot be ever licenced for the road".......

Old 05-21-2010, 08:26 PM
br401k
Cruiser

id just take its to a local shop and pay for them to take a look at it, frame could be bent somewhere and cost repairs could come out to more than you think

Old 05-21-2010, 08:40 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Around here it means that even if your selling parts off something you need to have a title (to prove you own it and are within the law to sell the parts) it's all intended to stop the auto thief rings from parting out stolen vehicles. If the insurance has written off a vehicle they require the title and have it switched to a salvage title and that means you can't sell it complete for use on public roads, you can only sell the parts. It's a huge pain in the *** to re register the title "clear" for a complete vehicle, you need at least one and most times two mechanical inspections to convert the title back to "active".

Old 05-22-2010, 01:09 AM
Promethear
5th Gear

Ok...The owner was not there. But I spoke to her girlfriend. (turns out the owner does not live where the bike is). I was told 'the primary problem is the frame is sprung'. I asked for clarification and didnt get it (she did not know specifics). The estimate that they got was $8k for repairs. I have asked for the printed estimate (to get a better idea of what really needs doing and how much of it was labor...I also do not trust that estimate because it comes from one of the local dealers that has the stickers on ALL their bikes $2000 above MSRP and also states the usual +tax, lic& fees). I am being told the title is clear (how do I check that?). The story I got does not quite compute for me. The insurance company paid for the tow to the shop for the estimate (and back to where it is). The owner and the other driver had a disagreement about cost. The other driver paid her the cost of the bike new (not the insurance company). I was also told that had the dealer repaired the bike it would have been titled as salvage (how the heck does that work??? If it is repaired to be driveable and safe how is it salvage??). The person I talked to said the owner would probably let go of it for the cost of the aftermarket parts. She said the parts were 2-3 K. However, the same person was trying to tell me that the H-D heated grips were $500 (and I wasnt looking, but I dont think the grips had a thermostat...I will check again later). The after market parts (as far as I can tell) are: Heated grips $219, Short Shots $460, Mustang Classic solo seat $300 (I rounded up some there because I was guessing at the seat based on what it looked like...it also has a backrest that I was unable to find on the mustang site), Screaming Eagle stage1 Air $140, Vance and Hines Fuel Pak $180 (this is a guess as it is what I would have done...if she used a power commander my math will be off), Forward Controls:black $400. If I decide to do this, I will offer $1200 (rounded to the nearest dollar and minus the forward controls...they need replacing due to the brake pedal being bent).

After I see the estimate, I will make a decision. If the estimate is $4000 in parts and $4000 labor (or less parts and more labor) It is a good deal. $5200 for a bike that has a $6200 trade in and a $8500 retail value (give or take) I like. If it is $6000 in parts...not so much.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:43 AM
dustycanadian
Cruiser

Sprung to me would mean it's bent. And they "could" straighten it but even with today's computer equipment would it be true as new? I doubt it. So you're talking new frame. I'd be calling up a stealer to see what they want for one.

If you can get the bike for $1200.00 and the parts on the estimate are $4000.00, that's not bad. I don't know what used Nightsters are going for in your area but I seem to recall seeing them for around $7000.00 +/- in the US before I bought mine.

If nothing else you've got a great project bike. As long as the engine is undamaged.

Just remember: the seller has already been compensated for the bike so even if they get $10.00 they're ahead of the game.