Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag Bars cost and installation price?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 06:43 AM
Darkaeon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag Bars cost and installation price?

Hey all, new to the forums, been looking at getting switched over to drag bars here shortly for one of my first mods to the bike and I was curious about how much can I expect to be paying. I had went to an HD store to try and get some prices, and the bars are looking to cost around 180 and then the guy at the store told me with labor and new cable cost I'd be looking at close to $1000.

Like I said tho, I'm really new to bikes so I have no clue if this is about right or if they are way over priced, or anything. Looking for advice on what would be my best course of action to get what I want done to my bike without getting taken to the bank. Any advice would be appreciated.

Matt

Old 05-17-2010, 06:51 AM
Terp84Alum
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bars should cost about $50-$75 and honestly, this is something you can do yourself. I replaced my bars and it was pretty darn easy. You shouldn't need any new cables or lines goint to drag bars unless you have like 12" apes or something on your bike. Even if you had a shop do it, they should only charge you like 2 hours max. $1000 is nuts.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Marchallk
Advanced

$25 on ebay plus shipping the bars are very easy to install no additional parts needed. here is the link if you want to check them out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
these are the cheapest I have found but they are very good quality I love them!
Also don't buy anything from the stealer if you can avoid it, check out ebay and there are alot of parts on here as well

Old 05-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Steeler
Road Captain
Default Hi there

If you are dropping from standard rise bars to drag bars the acc cables are going to be a bit longer than they could be but not worth spending good money on replacements,So D.I.Y and all you'll pay for is the price of the bars,Someone enquired on the difficulty of doing the job yourself a couple of weeks back so scan the past posts.A lot a good tips were given.Enjoy the ride.H.

Attached Thumbnails Drag Bars cost and installation price?-headlight-lift-inst-8jpg.jpg  
Old 05-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Rollo
Cruiser

Sounds like they were quoting you for internal wiring. External would be at least half that. I think cable adjusting could be avoided with 2" risers.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Cpitch
Road Master

i put the drags on my bike. i got them from drag specialties..they were like $40. i did the install myself with a hex...you'll have some extra cabling but no biggie. a couple of zip ties can take care of that.
dude for $1000 i hope that includes a happy ending...thats just CRAZY!

Old 05-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Darkaeon
6th Gear

Yea I think that was a big part of the cost was he kept saying it would be internal wiring, and telling me I had to go internal wiring because thats what the nightster has already. But I was looking at my bike and see all our wires run on the outside of the handlebars and held together with zipties so I think he might have been mistaken.

That and the bars he had in the Harley catalog were all close to 170 or higher. Don't know why they are so much higher priced.

As for doing them myself, I'm a bit skeptical on that part. This is my first bike ever, I'm not the most mechanicaly inclined when it comes to vehicles, and everyone I know here in San Antonio rides a crotch rocket and wouldn't have the first clue about anything else. I would really like to learn how to do my own work to make things easier for me in the long run, I'm just kinda at a lost on where to start. Any advice would def help.

Matt

Old 05-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Cyclops
Advanced

Originally Posted by Darkaeon
As for doing them myself, I'm a bit skeptical on that part. This is my first bike ever, I'm not the most mechanicaly inclined when it comes to vehicles, and everyone I know here in San Antonio rides a crotch rocket and wouldn't have the first clue about anything else. I would really like to learn how to do my own work to make things easier for me in the long run, I'm just kinda at a lost on where to start. Any advice would def help.

Matt
Ride your bike about an hour and a half north (I am just on the north side of Austin) and you can do it in my garage. Very easy to do... Remove the torx screws from each control cluster and remove the clusters and controls, remove the four hex bolts from the riser clamp, the bar is now free. Place new bar on the riser and complete in reverse.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Cpitch
Road Master

i'm positive there is an indy shop in sa that will do it for way way WAY less money. thats seriously crazy. and the nightster doesnt have internal wiring. i think hes just triying to get as much cash as he can.

here's a couple of shops up there
http://www.cyclegear.com/city_location.cfm?Store=41
http://themotorcycleshopsa.com/

Old 05-17-2010, 12:20 PM
XsjadoNightster
Road Captain

my drag bars were $40 and i put them on myself too. its easyier then you think. but for 1K ill ride over and do it for ya

Quick Reply: Drag Bars cost and installation price?