Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

amsoil oil (sportster)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Gbav1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amsoil oil (sportster)

Ok, let the games begin! I have a 2007 xl883c with 900 miles on it.
I want to do my 1st oil change when it hit 1000 miles. I am going to use Amsoil syn 20w -50w in the engine. The Question is should I use the same for the trans/primary or go with the Amsoil 75-90 sever gear in the trans/primary? I don't want to know about any other oils/lubes. I would like to hear only from bikers who use Amzoil in their sportsters 2004 and newer, and their results, good or bad. Or would either one work in the tranny/primary. Thanks, trying not to be a butthead, but I really don't care what somebodys 3rd couisin's brother-in-law puts in his Big V-Twin or snapper lawn mower. Just want to use what bikers know that works.
GO

Old 05-14-2010, 11:03 PM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbav1
Ok, let the games begin!

trying not to be a butthead, but I really don't care what somebodys 3rd couisin's brother-in-law puts in his Big V-Twin or snapper lawn mower. Just want to use what bikers know that works.
GO
OK, games have started........
1) Have you read your owners manual yet?
2) How many of the thousands and thousands of threads dealing with motor oils/gear lubes have you read here on this forum?

Not trying to be a butthead (), but I personally belive that in the tranny/gear case you should use the _____________, well maybe I shouldn't say, since you may not like the answer.

Good luck.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:07 PM
kahaone
Road Master
Talking

Read https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...imary-oil.html the answer you are looking for is in there.

Game over, I win.

Last edited by kahaone; 05-14-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:32 PM
Gbav1
Advanced

Just bought the cycle 3 weeks ago. 1st harley, didn't come with any manual. Just want straight answers, new to the forum, i don't have time for all the useless __________________,answers. Like i said, I want to hear from bikers who actually use Amsoil in their sportsters and if they had any problems or good results. Can't ask the H-D dealers, all they say is that will be $100. dollars, and no we can only give you a store credit.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:02 AM
drum412
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used amsoil and just simply found it to be overpriced and hard to find locally. That was when I first got the bike, then I went with Mobil 1 synth 20w50 v-twin oil, a tad bit cheaper and autozone caries it. Now I use mobil 1 synth 15w50, on sale for $20 5qt jug and almost everywhere I go carries it. For the primary, i've pretty much always been using the mobil 1 synth 75w90. Pretty much all the synth oils i've used have shown to lower average oil temp by 10-15 degrees, and as much as 20 degrees when running on hot day in rush hour traffic.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:07 AM
Gbav1
Advanced

I have plenty of Amsoil dealers around me, and I am not worried about cost. Just want to know if it's any good. Thanks buy the way how do you like that mustang vintage solo seat?

Old 05-15-2010, 12:27 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Nothing magical about Amsoil. It will work just as well as any other quality synthetic out there.

Nothing magical about "2004_ Sportster" engines either that require a specific type/brand of motor oil over any other of the Harley V-Twin engines. The 883 and 1200 Sportsters use an EVO based engine, and the engine oil requirement is no different than a Big Twin engine.

If you want to use Amsoil 20W-50 in the engine, and Amsoil 75W-90 gear lube in the primary/tranny go for it..

I've owned and ridden Harley's for over 40 years, and during those years I've run Amsoil fluids as well as many other sythetic fluids (and conventional oils as well). Put over 800,000 miles on Harley's (Panheads, Shovels, BT EVO's, Sportster EVO's, TC's) and never had an oil related issue with Amsoil or anything else I happened to be running. But for that matter, over the years I don't recall anyone I've ridden with to have any oil related issues.

If you use Amsoil 20W-50 and 75W-90, change your fluids and filter at reasonable intervals you aren't going to have any 'oil related issues'.. Doesn't matter if you are running Amsoil, or any other synthetic or conventional oil.

For what it's worth, when it comes to oil sometimes higher cost doesn't equate to how well it performs or it's 'so called' advantage over lower cost fluids. This has been documented and proven many time by UOA's.

High priced Group 5 Redline fluids, of medium priced fluids such as Amsoil or Mobil 1 V-Twin fluids don't perform any better in any of my Harley's than regular Mobil 1 15W50 that costs around $22 in the 5 quart containers.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:50 AM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bought the cycle 3 weeks ago. 1st harley, didn't come with any manual. Just want straight answers, new to the forum, i don't have time for all the useless __________________,answers. Like i said, I want to hear from bikers who actually use Amsoil in their sportsters and if they had any problems or good results. Can't ask the H-D dealers, all they say is that will be $100. dollars, and no we can only give you a store credit.
Welcome to the forum.

Being new to the forum the first reply was a serious answer given. The search feature works very well here. There are a TON of guys here that are very knowledgeable and experienced.

However alot of those same people get VERY tired of seeing threads with the same subject every other week IE: mileage, oil type things like that, when a simple search would have given many answers (again because using the search works)

It is especially irritating when people come here begging for answers and information, when its very clear that they havent bothered to read an owners manual or get a service manual. A good manual is only $60 and will pay for itself many times over. Just ask the guy that drained his primary oil also when changing his engine oil and didn't realize it and ran his primary dry. If I recall that was a $600 oops.

Honestly are you willing to trust people you don't know when its your bike, butt, and $$ on the line? What if we told you use plain vegetable or mineral oil in your bike? How would you know any different if you hadn't read the manual first? Now coming in asking for a clarification on what the manual says or preferences based on experience is a bit different.

As for oil brands its a toss up. It boils down to personal preference. Kinda like opinions on ford or chevys. Is amsoil a good product? Yes, from what I have read it is. However you won't go wrong with a quality synthetic oil of the proper weight, regardless of the brand name.

I personally run Mobile 1 of the proper weight. I do this based off what others have experienced here, and how I have seen mobile 1 products perform in aircraft. Plus I can get 5qts at walmart for $23 so for the price its hard to beat. As has been stated in many other threads the differences in the "V twin" oils are minimal and marketing gimmicks at best and it makes it more expensive.

MH

Old 05-15-2010, 06:08 AM
kahaone
Road Master

i don't have time for all the useless __________________,answers.

And some people don't have time for all the useless____________questions either. Especially when it is obvious the original poster hasn't done anything to figure it out themselves.

And truthfully, it doesn't look like you really want advice, it seems you would rather have someone agree with you on your oil choice.

This is directed to everyone, not just the OP:
The internet has turned this generation into a bunch of lazy people. So many people want answers to so many questions, but they aren't willing to try and find the answers themselves. They would rather just ask someone else, total strangers, to give them the answers. When I was growing up we didn't have this magical "internet" thing, we would go to the library to find the answers. But now days, people are too lazy to even read the internet, they just expect instant answers, so they don't have to expel any energy thinking.

So, if you are too busy, and don't have time for all the useless answers, you should expect to find people who don't have time for useless, redundant questions. Especially when those questions are answered over and over again, and are available right at your fingertips if you just look for them for a minute.

Hope I didn't hurt your feelings. Aw heck, what do I care, it is the internet anyway.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:34 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master

I use Amsoil 20w50 in the chaincase and oil tank as recommended. I think it works just fine. Yeah it is a little pricey, but if you become a preferred customer as I have for 20 dollars a year you can save quite a bit of money. I use Amsoil product in my car as well as my diesel truck and believe it is the best out there. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: amsoil oil (sportster)