Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

48, drilled baffles, have it tuned?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 04:30 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dp2826
well according to the dealer you just voided your warranty so dont take it there.
Bullshit.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:53 AM
WildThang
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scarpetta
well I ordered an exhaust so I decided to drill the baffles outa the stockers till they arrived. then I heard it and um.... canceled the order for the new muffs, they sound great with almost no backfire. question is should I have it tuned to dial it in or what are my options? how much does the tune usually cost?
The stock Delphi ECM will adjust accordingly for most exhaust and intake mods...but will still be running somewhat lean as mandated by EPA Regs. However, the addition of X14IEDs from Nightrider.com will move the AFR (air/fuel ratio) to 14.0:1...very easy for user to install and rather inexpensive.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:55 AM
Twisted Noodle
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CapeSalyers
Ok, just to clarify, you removed the baffles completely? I am VERY interested in doing this. How many mile were on the bike? Mine has ~200, should I break it in first or does it matter?
Originally Posted by WildThang
The stock Delphi ECM will adjust accordingly for most exhaust and intake mods...but will still be running somewhat lean as mandated by EPA Regs. However, the addition of X14IEDs from Nightrider.com will move the AFR (air/fuel ratio) to 14.0:1...very easy for user to install and rather inexpensive.

I took my mufflers right off. I don't like the looks of it but I love the sound. This is my first Harley and the attention I get from having the mufflers off is gratifying. At intersections I just give it a little "burp" and drivers always look my way. I am going to purchase the X14IEDs to rich'n it up a bit. However I have not experienced ANY backfiring, irregular idle, missing of any kind. I am going to put some exhaust pipe to extend the exhaust past the pegs and then wrap 'em. prolly weld in some washers for some back pressure.. Sorry about the hijack.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:25 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Twisted Noodle
I took my mufflers right off. I don't like the looks of it but I love the sound. This is my first Harley and the attention I get from having the mufflers off is gratifying. At intersections I just give it a little "burp" and drivers always look my way. I am going to purchase the X14IEDs to rich'n it up a bit. However I have not experienced ANY backfiring, irregular idle, missing of any kind. I am going to put some exhaust pipe to extend the exhaust past the pegs and then wrap 'em. prolly weld in some washers for some back pressure.. Sorry about the hijack.

So do you think they look at you in admiration/envy or because they want to hit you with a stick?

Old 05-14-2010, 07:33 AM
Twisted Noodle
Cruiser

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
So do you think they look at you in admiration/envy or because they want to hit you with a stick?
Heh heh.. Well, it could be all 3. I get compliments on the look/ sound of the bike. I get a lot of "Man, I wish I had the cash to buy a bike" or "I am thinking of buying one", but my co-workers leaving the shipyard (which looks like a major football game just let out in the streets of Pascagoula,MS) as I am idling next to them would probably like to do more than just hit me with a stick...

Freebird, I always dig your dry sarcasm, and point blank, no BS delivery...

Old 05-14-2010, 07:50 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How does the bike feel? You might be loseing a bit of low end, but if the rest of the bike is stock then you should be ok. F the EPA i'll rock my pipes if i want.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:54 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Twisted Noodle
Heh heh.. Well, it could be all 3. I get compliments on the look/ sound of the bike. I get a lot of "Man, I wish I had the cash to buy a bike" or "I am thinking of buying one", but my co-workers leaving the shipyard (which looks like a major football game just let out in the streets of Pascagoula,MS) as I am idling next to them would probably like to do more than just hit me with a stick...

Freebird, I always dig your dry sarcasm, and point blank, no BS delivery...
Just being me.

Originally Posted by XL50#674
How does the bike feel? You might be loseing a bit of low end, but if the rest of the bike is stock then you should be ok. F the EPA i'll rock my pipes if i want.

Yea OK.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:19 AM
dp2826
Cruiser

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
Bullshit.
This is what the local dealers told me. Does anyone have any first hand experience.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:31 AM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Talking to dealers about warranties, whether it's about cars or bikes, I usually get the same response...As long as what you modified doesn't directly cause damage to another part, then it should be covered by the warranty. I imagine it's also at the dealers discretion to a point.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:04 AM
scarpetta
Tourer

Originally Posted by WildThang
the addition of X14IEDs from Nightrider.com will move the AFR (air/fuel ratio) to 14.0:1...very easy for user to install and rather inexpensive.
Thank you for the info!

Originally Posted by XL50#674
How does the bike feel?
Great, though I do in fact notice some low end torque loss but very very miner at worst and by about 5 mph I notice no change, if anything it seams more responsive past 5 mph.

I like it with ought the baffles for a few reasons
1. its no where near as loud as some of the more popular exhausts for the sporty's but sounds like a Harley now (neighbor friendly)
2. I liked the slash cut stock exhaust look of the 48 and was able to keep that look and get a sound I like.
3. I'm sure this is everywhere but I had a few close calls over the past month with cagers not seeing me and merging into my lane and now I notice I'm loud enough to be heard but not so loud im annoying anyone.

all in all I couldn't be happier with the outcome so far. My biggest concern was that it would be to loud or sound like crap and it is neither of those. I will post up the results of the addition of the X14IEDs and the long term effects of the baffle removal if there is any.

Quick Reply: 48, drilled baffles, have it tuned?