Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil question

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 02:13 AM
pom
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil question

I bought my 883R about a week ago. When I bought it, I asked the garage I bought it from to change the oil, which he did, but not the filter.

I was going over the bike last night and noticed that he's overfilled the oil tank. It's about 2mm below the top line when cold, and over it when hot.

So, I've booked it into a proper Harley garage to have a proper oil and filter change. It's only covered 35 miles in two journeys since the oil was overfilled; is it likely to have damaged anything in this time? I'm intending on syphoning some oil out before I ride it again...is there an easier way to do this? I don't have any tools so can't really take the oil filter off or anything.

Also, the bike was serviced at 1000 miles by a Harley garage, and is due another at 5000 miles. But, it's coming up to 3 years old...is there anything I should get done/get checked when it goes into the Harley garage to have it's oil change given that it's last service was about 18 months ago?

Thanks very much.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:43 AM
rodhotter
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

the bill you get from the stealer could buy lots of tools, unless you have lots of $$$ or just don't like to work on your bike its your choice. a service manual and a few tools will pay for themselves many-many times over. you can drain a little oil out, just undo the hose clamp on the hose hanging down under the frame pull the plug catch the oil put the plug back, filter is just as easy.

Last edited by rodhotter; 05-12-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Krakanator
Tourer

First off, that is a great bike you got there, enjoy it. Second, how do you know that he did not change the filter, because that is a pretty bonehead move for a legit tech. Third, changing the oil in a sportster is like changing your underwear. If you can't do it yourself someone is charging you a $hit ton of money to do it for you. I would get a manual and give it a go, it is very simple and you will feel good about doing it yourself (not to mention you will enjoy the extra hundred or so bucks in your wallet).

Also, overfilling the sportster oil bag is very common since the oil volume listed in the manual is for a dry motor. Your motor is anything but dry, and therefore if someone reads "3 quarts", that's what goes in. Unfortunatley in most instances that is too much oil. I always leave a little left in the third bottle.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:19 PM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could also easily change the filter yourself and put it on empty (manual recommends filling the filter then installing it). Then run the bike and check your oil level after that. It easily could drop the level to the proper level. If its still to high after that use a turkey baster to pull the excess out.

Be VERY careful that you know which plug is the correct one when changing engine oil. Many have drained their primary instead. The engine oil plug is a plastic plug held in with a hose clamp on the eng of a hose, centerline seen from the right side. The plug for the primary takes a wrench and is metal and threaded and is on the left side of the bike. Also a way to verify is to watch how much fluid drains. If its about a quart then you drained the primary which uses gear oil. If its about 3 qts then you drained the engine oil.

A service manual is a MUST for sure. Its money well invested. Just ask those that have made costly mistakes because they were to cheap to buy a manual.

MH

Old 05-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Bigdaddy1122
Cruiser

Use a Turkey baster and remove the extra oil ! Very simple

Old 05-12-2010, 01:27 PM
pom
Intermediate

If I change the filter why does the manual suggest half filling it? Does this really matter?

Also, if I drain a bit of oil out of the tube at the bottom, I'll know I did the right one because the oil in the oil tank with the dipstick will go down, right?

Just checking.

When I booked it in to the dealers (which I might cancel now and do it myself) they asked me if I want all of the oils changing...what else is there other than the standard oil you check with the dipstick, and how often should you change them? SHould I be checking these regularly as well?

Thanks sorry if this seems a bit stupid but I've never bothered with any home maintenance at all before but I'd really like to try some.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Tucson_Tim
Tourer

Originally Posted by pom
If I change the filter why does the manual suggest half filling it? Does this really matter?
It pre-soaks the element so there is less "low oil pressure" time when you fire up the engine. I can't remember the amount but it will completely disappear into the element.

Also, if I drain a bit of oil out of the tube at the bottom, I'll know I did the right one because the oil in the oil tank with the dipstick will go down, right?
There is no other "tube" hanging down like the engine oil drain tube. Yes - if you drain enough the level in the tank will go down.

When I booked it in to the dealers (which I might cancel now and do it myself) they asked me if I want all of the oils changing...what else is there other than the standard oil you check with the dipstick, and how often should you change them? SHould I be checking these regularly as well?

Thanks sorry if this seems a bit stupid but I've never bothered with any home maintenance at all before but I'd really like to try some.
Primary case oil -- exactly one quart (32 oz).

Service manual, parts manual and a minimum number of SAE tools (sockets, wrenches, hex keys, torx keys, etc.) will get you by pretty easily. Your tools don't have to be Snap-On -- just don't buy the cheapest tools you can find.

Service manual and parts manual (the exploded views are great) will set you back maybe $100 at the dealer. Try eBay for nearly-new manuals.

Last edited by Tucson_Tim; 05-12-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Tucson_Tim
Tourer

Like somebody already mentioned: Changing the engine oil and filter and changing the primary oil (which doesn't have to changed as often) is very easy -- takes me about 1 1/2 hours and I work very, very slowly.

I actually enjoy "tinkering" with my bikes as much as riding them but I have a full-electric small motorcycle garage out behind the house where I can get away for a while.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:42 PM
pom
Intermediate

Thanks; I think I can change the oil I'll have a go. As soon as I start building up the confidence to do something I read something along the lines of 'and be sure to avoid the tiny ultrasump switch which is very easy to catch as you unscrew the oil filter and will certainly blow up your bike if you catch it'...

So, am I right in thinking that until I get round to changing the oil, I can just drain about half a quart out of the oil drain tube, and leave everything else alone until I change the oil and filter? This would at least mean I'm not riding round with too much oil...people have recommended a turkey baster but I don't have one of those and it looks really easy to drain it out of the oil tube...is it OK to do this just for say half a quart when you're not changing all of the oil?

Also, I'm since it hasn't had a proper service for 2 years I'm thinking of taking it for it's 5000 mile service. I've read what's involved in this and it seems to be mainly checks...not something I could do because I don't know what I'm looking for. I'm up for tackling the specific jobs like oil changes but I'd sort of like to start with a clean bill of health if that makes sense...any advice as to whether this is a good idea or not?

Thanks very much

Old 05-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Tucson_Tim
Tourer

Originally Posted by pom
Thanks; I think I can change the oil I'll have a go. As soon as I start building up the confidence to do something I read something along the lines of 'and be sure to avoid the tiny ultrasump switch which is very easy to catch as you unscrew the oil filter and will certainly blow up your bike if you catch it'...
You can see the switch - just don't bang it with your oil filter wrench.

So, am I right in thinking that until I get round to changing the oil, I can just drain about half a quart out of the oil drain tube, and leave everything else alone until I change the oil and filter? This would at least mean I'm not riding round with too much oil...people have recommended a turkey baster but I don't have one of those and it looks really easy to drain it out of the oil tube...is it OK to do this just for say half a quart when you're not changing all of the oil?
Yes -- quite alright. Turkey baster is about $1.29 at the grocery store -- whole lot easier than draining from the bottom and a lot less messy.

Also, I'm since it hasn't had a proper service for 2 years I'm thinking of taking it for it's 5000 mile service. I've read what's involved in this and it seems to be mainly checks...not something I could do because I don't know what I'm looking for. I'm up for tackling the specific jobs like oil changes but I'd sort of like to start with a clean bill of health if that makes sense...any advice as to whether this is a good idea or not?
It won't hurt -- if you don't mind spending the bucks.

NOTE: As far as what oil to use: Do a search. There are plenty of oil threads. It pisses off the old-timers on the forum to see another oil thread. Just expect a difference of opinion on dino, blends, and full synthetics. Main thing is to change oil at the proper intervals -- or sooner.

Quick Reply: Oil question