Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet for a hog-rider?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 05:03 AM
azpsychobilly
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dp2826
I'm lookin for a bad *** lookin helmet. Just enough to be legal anyway. Any suggestions?
If you want the smallest legal options...
1/2 bucket-Bell Drifter
3/4 open face-Daytona 3/4

I just ordered a Daytona 3/4 to replace my generic bobble head 3/4 helmet...

Old 05-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Preto789
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've actually got a bell drifter I'll sell $60+ plus shipping size m

Old 06-27-2010, 06:08 AM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts
Default I've always worn

Have you ever watched motorcycle road racing, auto racing and seen some of the crashes especially the guys on motorcycles that go down at over 100mph and get right up after they are done sliding, rolling and tumbling? Most wouldn't be able to do that without safety gear which is what a helmet is.

I've always worn a helmet in much the same way i have worn a automobile safety belt since i was basically old enough to drive. I'm 48 now. Some people get in a big hissy fit when they are forced to wear a helmet. That's their problem not mine. It's not alot of protection nor is it guaranteed that helmet wearers will survive a accident but it increases the odds substantially and isn't that good enough reason.

I saw a lady yesterday who got T-boned on her HD Electra Glide by a mini van, face down on the pavement with a 3/4 helmet and no face shield. Her face was actually touching the asphalt helmet on. I hope she survived the accident and she was probably hit by a vehicle doing under 30mph i'm guessing.

There is really only one style of helmet to wear and thats a full face helmet. I have a modular style. Full face but can raise it up when i'm getting gas etc, It has a full face shield too so i can get some extra air if needed on hot days. Yesterday it was 92-95 here and i had the shield down and it was comfortable.

I wear it also because cars and trucks throw stones and they really hurt with they hit you in the body not to mention the face. I can take a shot from a big flying bug that would nearly knock most motorcycle riders off there ride lol. I don't have a windshield on my Sportster but even that is no replacement for a helmet. If your going to wear a half helmet then you can look at that as just fashionable as it will offer you basically no protection in a crash.

Most motorcycle accidents happen at less then 30mph. A guy just makes a mistake dumps it and hits his skull on the pavement and dies where as if he had his helmet on would of probably had a headache or maybe a concussion. That's better then not be able to ride ever again.

This really isn't a freedom to choose issue. It's a choice on how much you value your life and doing what you can do to protect it while still doing what you love to do.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:09 AM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

deleted

Old 06-27-2010, 02:32 PM
MokeyJoe
Cruiser

I once laid down my ninja when a lady in a Monte Carlo cut me off. I was doing about 15mph faster than her and my upper body was under her car. My head was bouncing like a basketball between her car and the road. Thankfully I was wearing a full faced hat. It may be a little hotter and less stylin' but the number one rule is be safe.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:05 PM
3skulls
Tourer

I go with a full face helmet. I don't think I have seen another Harley rider with one around here. To each their own.
My bike is my only way from one point to another, I'm on the highway a lot and get caught in the rain. I have had bugs, rocks, acorns, and who knows what else, hit my face shield. If I want to feel the wind in my face, I can throw some sunglasses on and flip up the visor.
Good luck on your search.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:51 PM
johnnyo883
Advanced

I wear a Z1R Viper full face helmet. I like the protection of a full face helmet and the Z!R brand was affordable. I very rarely go without a helmet.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:54 PM
eneyege
Advanced

Full (and in your) face...i like the wind in my face but not all that other crap on fwys & hwys.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:28 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
Have you ever watched motorcycle road racing, auto racing and seen some of the crashes especially the guys on motorcycles that go down at over 100mph and get right up after they are done sliding, rolling and tumbling? Most wouldn't be able to do that without safety gear which is what a helmet is.

I've always worn a helmet in much the same way i have worn a automobile safety belt since i was basically old enough to drive.
If you want to be safe why not wear a helmet in your automobile as well (even though it is illegal in most jurisdictions)..

This really isn't a freedom to choose issue.
It most certainly is a 'freedom to choose issue', and most bikers don't like to have others lecture to them about their freedom of choice when it comes to personal safety or any other issue..

My personal choice is to not wear a helmet, and I've been riding that way for almost 40 years. If you choose to wear a helmet or other type of safety gear that is perfectly fine with me, even if I might not agree. I'm perfectly fine wearing boots, jeans, a t-shirt, glasses and a headband. If others don't approve it's not my problem.

I don't try to justify or push my preferences on others, and I expect the same in return.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:13 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Arai helmets are awesome but expensive. You can pick up one with last years graphics being cleared out for 50% off on Ebay. Each model is custom made for a different head shape which is why they fit so well. As far as I know they are the only company to do this. Also you have your choice of 8 different thicknesses of cheek pads and 3 thickness of liners for an even more custom fit. Great ventilation, very light weight and nice features like a slot in the liner for the temples of your glasses and space for earphones. Aerodynamics are great too, there is no buffeting at 80-90MPH even when you turn your head sideways for a shoulder check.

Quick Reply: Helmet for a hog-rider?