Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped primary where clutch cable goes

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 12:40 PM
blacknight85
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=fox4;6695094]Well I got it all figured out. I went and picked up a helicoil kit for 5/16-24 threads. Popped off the cover, put the helicoil in, and put it all back together. The cable now fits snug and secure in the hole! It was pretty quick and easy to do the helicoil, and I definitely recommend taking the entire cover off as it leaves behind a lot of metal shavings. The hardest part was finding the 5/16-24 kit. There were plenty of 5/16-18 kits at every store I went to. I ended up having to go to O'Reilly auto parts distribution warehouse, because I wanted it fixed today. For me it was much cheaper then a new cover. The dealer quoted me $270 for a new cover, and then $20 for the gasket. I spent $40 on the helicoil and $20 on the gasket. There are cheaper knock-off kits out there though.

So fox4 I never used the helicoil before so how will does this rate for a newb like me? Also you suggested to take the whole primary cover off so what gaskets did you replace and where did you get them from? (i.e dealer or somewhere else) Also what all tools did you need? Thanks in advance....Sorry for all the questions but i be D@MN if I pay the dealer $450 when I can fix it for $60! Thanks again.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:15 PM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=blacknight85;6697933]
Originally Posted by fox4
Well I got it all figured out. I went and picked up a helicoil kit for 5/16-24 threads. Popped off the cover, put the helicoil in, and put it all back together. The cable now fits snug and secure in the hole! It was pretty quick and easy to do the helicoil, and I definitely recommend taking the entire cover off as it leaves behind a lot of metal shavings. The hardest part was finding the 5/16-24 kit. There were plenty of 5/16-18 kits at every store I went to. I ended up having to go to O'Reilly auto parts distribution warehouse, because I wanted it fixed today. For me it was much cheaper then a new cover. The dealer quoted me $270 for a new cover, and then $20 for the gasket. I spent $40 on the helicoil and $20 on the gasket. There are cheaper knock-off kits out there though.

So fox4 I never used the helicoil before so how will does this rate for a newb like me? Also you suggested to take the whole primary cover off so what gaskets did you replace and where did you get them from? (i.e dealer or somewhere else) Also what all tools did you need? Thanks in advance....Sorry for all the questions but i be D@MN if I pay the dealer $450 when I can fix it for $60! Thanks again.
Hey blacknight85! I sent you a PM!

Old 01-09-2011, 12:59 AM
MXOldtimer
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You!!!

Had to replace my shift shaft. The little stop pin was damaged on the ratchet end. That would allow the ratchet to jump past the stop pin, I thought the little spring was the problem but it wasn't.

Anyway, finally got that figured out, shift shaft ordered, replace, and when I went to put the thing back together.... I threaded in my clutch cable and it would just turn and not tighten up. Was I ever frig'n PO'd!!!

Came on here, did a search and found your post.

Ordered the helicoil and my babies back together and running GREAT!

Thanks again...

Old 01-09-2011, 07:33 AM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fox4
Well I got it all figured out. I went and picked up a helicoil kit for 5/16-24 threads. Popped off the cover, put the helicoil in, and put it all back together. The cable now fits snug and secure in the hole! It was pretty quick and easy to do the helicoil, and I definitely recommend taking the entire cover off as it leaves behind a lot of metal shavings. The hardest part was finding the 5/16-24 kit. There were plenty of 5/16-18 kits at every store I went to. I ended up having to go to O'Reilly auto parts distribution warehouse, because I wanted it fixed today. For me it was much cheaper then a new cover. The dealer quoted me $270 for a new cover, and then $20 for the gasket. I spent $40 on the helicoil and $20 on the gasket. There are cheaper knock-off kits out there though.

Its raining out tonight, so I don't really feel like getting the bike out for a test run. Hopefully it dries up tomorrow so I can test my work.

And it is most definitely the primary cover... Don't know where that guy got that its not... Maybe its because he is a BT guy and their clutch cables go in at a different spot than the sportsters?
Good job FOX, that's using your head!!