Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat wrap on my V&H short shots question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 05:52 PM
eviltwin415
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat wrap on my V&H short shots question

I took my heat shields of to put the quiet baffles in about 2 weeks ago. They were a little scratched from the previous owner so I thought about wrapping them. I bought the wrap and and the guy I didn't need anything else. Then I got home and saw on the box it needs hi heat coating and snap straps. I used metal clamps instead of the snap straps, but do I really need the coating? I called and the guy even had the rep there at that moment and they said no and so did the mechanic.

Do I need it? can I just pick it up at kragen? it's not the ceramic coating is it? i thought that was for the inside of pipes. Another guy told me not to use the wrap at all because the pipes will crack. It's on their and looks cool, but I just want to know if I did it right

Old 05-09-2010, 09:17 PM
blackyck
Tourer

Originally Posted by eviltwin415
I took my heat shields of to put the quiet baffles in about 2 weeks ago. They were a little scratched from the previous owner so I thought about wrapping them. I bought the wrap and and the guy I didn't need anything else. Then I got home and saw on the box it needs hi heat coating and snap straps. I used metal clamps instead of the snap straps, but do I really need the coating? I called and the guy even had the rep there at that moment and they said no and so did the mechanic.

Do I need it? can I just pick it up at kragen? it's not the ceramic coating is it? i thought that was for the inside of pipes. Another guy told me not to use the wrap at all because the pipes will crack. It's on their and looks cool, but I just want to know if I did it right
I dont know too much about what it does to your pipes. There seems to be differance in opinons. I think it would take some time to mess them up. I used pipes clamps. I used clear coat on my wrap. Keeps them from fraying. I just got some short shots too and about to wrap them with titanium wrap and clear coat them. This is what I used....

VHT SP115 Clear Satin FLAMEPROOF Hi-Heat PAINT COATING

Old 05-09-2010, 09:25 PM
nickd23
Cruiser

i wrapped my vance and hines pipes without any ceramic coating. they have been on for around a month with no issues. just remember to put the pipe mounts in the pipes while your wrapping them.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:28 PM
nciron883
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I recall correctly the only time pipes will crack is if it is wrapped all the way up to the head? Pretty sure that's right.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:53 PM
madmax442
Tourer

I know RB Racing says not to rap theirs because they will crack and fail! I would call V&H if your really worried about how the wrap will affect them!

Last edited by madmax442; 05-11-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:58 PM
eviltwin415
Tourer

what's a pipe mount? I didn't go all the way up to the heads, I started just below the piece (maybe a sensor or something?) that comes out of the pipe about 2 or 3 inches below the head. I stopped the wrap where the pipes bolts on to the mounting plate (my terminology is probably ****) about 3 or 4 inches after they widen.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Dango
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know what kind of bike you have but N is low. I wrap my SShots and I have a problem when leaning hard on a right turn. The pipes scrape and rip up the wrap. I've since (after messing up two different wrap jobs) come up with this idea. Since putting it on, I've scraped it and it holds up. Now I'm going to put one on the top pipe to match and paint them both black.

Attached Thumbnails Heat wrap on my V&H short shots question-100_8584.jpg  
Old 05-09-2010, 10:23 PM
eviltwin415
Tourer

Dango that looks great, good idea. did you trim the extra ends of your hose clamps? I've never scraped my pipe, maybe i've been riding like a wuss.....

Old 05-10-2010, 01:54 AM
Tike71
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used DEI titanium wrap on my short shots. No silicon coating sprayed.
I also tried the stainless steel locking ties but those were crap. Go with metal clamps instead.

BTW there are certain types of pipes that are safe to wrap. The short shots have a good weight to them and won't crack easily, on the other hand the V&H competition 2:1 pipes are like 6 lbs in total weight and would crack easily if wrapped.

Name:  Daylightshot-03.jpg
Views: 10032
Size:  61.5 KB

Old 05-10-2010, 04:42 AM
hungoverdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iron71tike
I used DEI titanium wrap on my short shots. No silicon coating sprayed.
I also tried the stainless steel locking ties but those were crap. Go with metal clamps instead.

BTW there are certain types of pipes that are safe to wrap. The short shots have a good weight to them and won't crack easily, on the other hand the V&H competition 2:1 pipes are like 6 lbs in total weight and would crack easily if wrapped.

Hey, do you have any better pics of your wrapped pipes?

Quick Reply: Heat wrap on my V&H short shots question