Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spoked rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 08:10 AM
thor1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spoked rims

how does everyone clean their spoked rims

Old 08-14-2006, 08:25 AM
roadhawg
Cruiser
Default RE: spoked rims

I guess it just depends on how long you wanna take to do it. There are cleaners out there you can spray on and hose off. I use a cleaning mitt and a quality bike wash. It takes a while but I only clean the bike about once a month because I ride it everday. And If I'm feeling really good, I use never dull to take out the water spots. Wether never dull is good for the chrome or not, I dunno, we used the heck out of it in the Corps and it seems to work ok.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:45 AM
silverbullet2006
Cruiser

I been using a bottle brush for years just make sure it isnt toooooo stiff they have some good ones at the pet store

Old 08-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Flatlander
Road Warrior

Soap and water. Blow dry the bike with my leafblower before it dries and leaves water spots. If real stubborn spot or tar, windex works well and doesn't dull the finish.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:34 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Flatlander

Soap and water. Blow dry the bike with my leafblower before it dries and leaves water spots. If real stubborn spot or tar, windex works well and doesn't dull the finish.
I have the Profile Laced Wheels, front and rear, and that's pretty much what I do.

99% of my riding is on paved or chip-and-seat roads (seldom go on gravel/dirt roads) so the wheels don't get very dirty. I just wash time off like the rest of the chrome on the bike, blow dry everything, and then maybe wipe everything down to give it a nice polished look.

I've always had spoked wheels on all my Harley's. I like the look and they aren't that hard to keep in good shape.

Old 08-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Kanebanger
Road Captain

I've always used the cleaner, a hose, and a rag whenever my bike is looking dirty, and then take the time to use the never-dull at the start and end of every season with all of my bikes. I think that the occasional use of never-dull really helps to keep the chrome shining and helps to make the bike look like its brand new.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:57 PM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Luster Lace strips and it is VERY time consuming. I have chrome twisted spokes, next time I'll use stainless steel twisted spokes. Tim

Old 08-15-2006, 01:54 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just wipe them down with a rag that has cleaner on them. I stay on paved roads so they dont get that dirty. Also, I try to do this frequently so they clean easy and quick...

Old 08-15-2006, 02:30 AM
eggroll
Road Master

I use a soft nylon paintbrush and quality wash for around the spoke nipples and rim, then one-by-one the spokes with a soapy rag. Rinse it off, towel it dry, sit back with a Redhook and just look at that shine...

I might try WD-40 to protect it this winter; it works great on my truck wheels. Anybody else?

Old 08-15-2006, 03:04 AM
Crossbones
Road Master

a good car wash material, blow dry and then towel dry with clean cloth rag/towel. wax with maguires to keep it easy to clean and if it gets really bad i use the neverdull. stay on top of them cause they can be a pain if you let them go too long between cleans. rear wheels can be a knuckle bruiser!

Quick Reply: spoked rims