Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys help!!! Anyone had this issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 06:09 AM
2010IRON883
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys help!!! Anyone had this issue?

I have a 2009 Iron and i love it. I have had some troubles but overall its an awesome bike and i have never gotten as much attention as i get with it. I had a loud rattle aftewr my 1000 oil change so i took it back in after a few hundred miles to have a super tuner , bvance and hine short shots and heavy breather kit installed then they informed me that they heard the noise and were going to remove the front cylinder. It had not been oiled properly for whatever reason it had done some damage. They replaced the front cylinder and the rear cylinder was fine and getting oiled properly so they didnt bother it. They have been great about honoring the warranty. I was riding today on the way in after filling up and noticed my speedometer was sitting on 0 the engine light wasnt on yet but it did come on. I had about 1 mile to get to the house and just before i got to the driveway the speedometer started working and the light went out.. No issues with the way it runs but i can start the bike and i always wait on it to go out before i start up but the bike will run about 4 seconds then the light will come on for about 5 to 10 seconds and go back out. I cant see to get a code reading i know how to get into the diagnostic but all i see is the p s sp and so on the other list of letter s i really cant remember them but they doesnt seem to be a code but i may not be reading the thing right. I plan to take it in saturday or sunday for my second brake in oil change on the front cylinder so it will be fixed but i would like to get an idea of what it could be it worries the crap out of me!!!!!!1

Old 05-08-2010, 09:00 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

dude if the bike is that new take it back to your stealer and explain the issue. second break in oil change? do tell.......

Old 05-08-2010, 09:06 AM
jeffc68
Tourer

Damn that sucks let us know what the dealer says.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:50 AM
2010IRON883
Tourer
Default Second brake in here is why!

Yes the reason i say second brake in is because i went in for the 1000 mile change just as told to do. I had hd syn 3 put in and after it was done i rode home. Got to I77 and heard a loud rattle in the front cylinder head. I went back and the tch said it was pretty normal for these bikes to have valve train noise especially when using synthetic oil it thinner and you hear more engine noise. I rode the bike awhile and ended taking it back in and the tech changed the oil back to regular 20w50 hd. I still heard the noise and rode the bike around 500 miles and bought a set of v&h short shots , super tuner, and a heavy breather to the bike in to dealer to have the parts installed and was still telling them it was rattling awful loud. They pulled both rocker box tops and found there was no oil goin to the front cylinder but was goin to the rear. The kept my bike 36 days which could be considered a lemon in the state of virginia and i am calling customer service tommorrow but they replace the whole front head and sent the other to milwaukee. I have also had a shift shaft seal that leakd and was fixed and now i have the engine lite deal. Im thinking from what i have been told and read that they are going to make it right due to the state lemon laws. Now the engine light comes on when you turn the switch on just like normal but if you wait to start the bike and sit there a second it does 2 cycles. The light does the same as it does when you turn the switch but twice. I have always waited to start the bike until lite is done. The second brake in period for the front cylinder is almost up this bike only has like 2200 miles and i take care of my bikes. I had a 2008 R6 with 2000 miles that i traded the dealership for this one. Surely they are going to look at what they got out of the deal and make this crap right what do you guys think

Old 09-14-2012, 10:02 AM
BombedBlonde
Intermediate

Hey there. My bike is having the same thing with the speedometer and now the light what did you come up with please?

Old 09-14-2012, 10:30 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,831 Likes on 1,250 Posts

Wow, no oil to front cylinder? Sounds awfully strange. I doubt it would run far with no oil to the rockers. You need to have them explain what happened and why.

I'd be pretty bummed about the whole thing, especially if it's under warranty. I've heard a lot of these kinds of things lately, where they have to repair new engines or replace them.

What is going on at the factory???

John