Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious Oil Blow By w/ Big Sucker II

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 08:14 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Serious Oil Blow By w/ Big Sucker II

Alright here's how it went down......

checked the oil (cold) and it was at the low line. started the bike to let it run for a minute before checking the oil (hot) and it read right around the same spot.
i figured, ok, slap a small amount in, check, maybe a little more, check and got it up around half way between the marks. went for a ride and oil is blowing all down the side of my bike. before you ask, yes i had the dipstick back in.
upon further investigation, it's blowin out of the bottom of the big sucker and seems to be seaping out of the banjo bolts a bit. now i know the banjo bolts were tight cause i checked them before i left the house. i've had nothing but problems with this fvckin air cleaner from the backplate cracking to oil spewing out of it, not pleased.
it seems like whatever oil i put in has already made it's way out by way of the air cleaner which can't be good. any of you guys out there having similar problems with the big sucker II or equivelant air cleaners? should i clean the element before firing the bike up again? should i take the air cleaner off completely and clean the throttle body out of any oil that may be in there? any suggestions?

thanks for those of you who are still reading and can offer any insight.
it's much appreciated.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:24 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxatv
Alright here's how it went down......

checked the oil (cold) and it was at the low line. started the bike to let it run for a minute before checking the oil (hot) and it read right around the same spot.
i figured, ok, slap a small amount in, check, maybe a little more, check and got it up around half way between the marks. went for a ride and oil is blowing all down the side of my bike. before you ask, yes i had the dipstick back in.
upon further investigation, it's blowin out of the bottom of the big sucker and seems to be seaping out of the banjo bolts a bit. now i know the banjo bolts were tight cause i checked them before i left the house. i've had nothing but problems with this fvckin air cleaner from the backplate cracking to oil spewing out of it, not pleased.
it seems like whatever oil i put in has already made it's way out by way of the air cleaner which can't be good. any of you guys out there having similar problems with the big sucker II or equivelant air cleaners? should i clean the element before firing the bike up again? should i take the air cleaner off completely and clean the throttle body out of any oil that may be in there? any suggestions?

thanks for those of you who are still reading and can offer any insight.
it's much appreciated.
The Owners manual calls for the oil level to be checked when HOT. Running it for a minute isn't HOT.

Take your OL's turkey baster and suck out enough oil to get it to the ADD mark on the dipstick.

Now, go for a 15 mile ride and come back and check the level HOT.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:38 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Yup, sounds too full to me.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:13 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blow by oil into the air cleaner is normal on our sportys... especially if you ever high rev at all (and it can happen without high revs, but high revs were the main culprit on my bike).
i solved mine (big sucker, v&h pipes) with a "blow by" device.
will see if i can find pics. the blow by device solved the problem (i was getting plenty of oil dripping down from the sucker). that and i never fill over 1/4 any more.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:16 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here ya go... open this and then click on the pic and it will blow up. then you will be able to see my blow by (the tube that looks like it comes outta my sucker- it takes the execss oil out, although i have not been noticing any lately)
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...age&img=702397

Old 05-03-2010, 09:30 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

What size sleeve did you put in your banjo bolts? (I had a choice with the kit I have it came with a small hole sleeve and a larger hole sleeve). Your year bike calls for the small diameter hole (sleeve) in the banjo bolts.

Since my head work and cams I also run the small hole sleeve.

Last edited by xFreebirdx; 05-04-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:31 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I used this kit that you can see in the picture just behind the air cleaner, it's a chrome "U" shaped tube with a hose fitting for the vent hose that goes out to the ground to vent any gases and blow by fluids, I used a braided stainless steel line to route it under the bike but I must admit that very little oil goes out thru it, maybe because I only have about 15K on mine and the motor is pretty tight yet.

Attached Thumbnails Serious Oil Blow By w/ Big Sucker II-91-03offsethurricaneflowshowinglegsmall.jpg  
Old 05-04-2010, 06:22 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I altered mine kind of the way Wanabe did. I plugged the holes inside the cleaner backing plate, and drilled/tapped in new breather sleeves. Then I routed some gas line from the new sleeves down to the ground like Wanabe.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:35 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by cHarley
The Owners manual calls for the oil level to be checked when HOT. Running it for a minute isn't HOT.

Take your OL's turkey baster and suck out enough oil to get it to the ADD mark on the dipstick.

Now, go for a 15 mile ride and come back and check the level HOT.
i'll try that. prolly isn't a bad idea to take the thing off and clean it I guess?

Old 05-04-2010, 09:38 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
What size sleeve did you put in your banjo bolts? (I had a choice with the kit I have it came with a small hole sleeve and a larger hole sleeve). Your year bike calls for the small diameter hole (sleeve) in the banjo bolts.

Since my head work and cams I also run the small hole sleeve.
noticed that too on the install instructions and i know i used the small ones. however, the instructions also had the wrong torque specs for the backing plate, hence mine cracking so i'm not to sold on their install instructions. maybe i didn't put enough locktite on the bolts? i don't know.

Quick Reply: Serious Oil Blow By w/ Big Sucker II