Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious Oil Blow By w/ Big Sucker II

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:40 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wanabe
here ya go... open this and then click on the pic and it will blow up. then you will be able to see my blow by (the tube that looks like it comes outta my sucker- it takes the execss oil out, although i have not been noticing any lately)
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php...age&img=702397
nice setup dude and thanks for the pic. i may have to go to some type of breather kit and this helps so thank you.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
I used this kit that you can see in the picture just behind the air cleaner, it's a chrome "U" shaped tube with a hose fitting for the vent hose that goes out to the ground to vent any gases and blow by fluids, I used a braided stainless steel line to route it under the bike but I must admit that very little oil goes out thru it, maybe because I only have about 15K on mine and the motor is pretty tight yet.
where'd ya get that one hotlap?

Old 05-04-2010, 10:07 AM
blackyck
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same issue after my first 350 mile ride. i never had that problem before then after under 100 mile rides. It was not a ton of oil, just some small spraying. keep up posted. i might take mine apart and locktite and re-tourqe just to be sure.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:18 AM
madmax442
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iknow lots of people have the HD Heavy Breather but man I'm glad i went with it instead of the Big sucker!

Old 05-04-2010, 10:36 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I got mine from NRHS, it is sold seperatly and required for installation of the Hurricane Flow but will work with anything.
It's on this page, breather kit part # 66-2110-0316 $29.95 http://www.nrhsperformance.com/partshurricaneflow.shtml
It came with a rubber breather tube but I got a short length of braided stainless tubing from a local race shop, you can just see it running down by the rear jug in the attached pic.

Attached Thumbnails Serious Oil Blow By w/ Big Sucker II-hd-004.jpg  
Old 05-04-2010, 12:30 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

same thing happened w/ the heavy breather i had but not nearly as much. that kit is pretty sweet hotlap, i'm gonna look into that. anyone know if you can clean the big sucker with the K&N recharge kit? i imagine you could just wanted to be sure.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:18 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by cHarley
The Owners manual calls for the oil level to be checked when HOT. Running it for a minute isn't HOT.

Take your OL's turkey baster and suck out enough oil to get it to the ADD mark on the dipstick.

Now, go for a 15 mile ride and come back and check the level HOT.
took the ole turkey baster and sucked out a few ounces of oil and got it just above the low/add mark and took it for a spin. pulled over and checked the oil level after 10 or so miles and it was a little below half way between the marks.

seems ok, not leaking any oil from the filter at all. i also cranked down the banjo bolts as they were a bit loose so we'll see. i have to find my instructions for the right torque spec on those (does anyone know?). think i'm gonna invest in one of those breather kits too.

i guess i learned the hard way not to run too much oil in the sporty but i thought i was doing a good thing by adding when it looked a bit low, fuhk! THANKS everyone!

Old 05-05-2010, 05:20 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxatv
anyone know if you can clean the big sucker with the K&N recharge kit? i imagine you could just wanted to be sure.
took the ole turkey baster and sucked out a few ounces of oil and got it just above the low/add mark and took it for a spin. pulled over and checked the oil level after 10 or so miles and it was a little below half way between the marks.

seems ok, not leaking any oil from the filter at all. i also cranked down the banjo bolts as they were a bit loose so we'll see. i have to find my instructions for the right torque spec on those (does anyone know?). think i'm gonna invest in one of those breather kits too.

i guess i learned the hard way not to run too much oil in the sporty but i thought i was doing a good thing by adding when it looked a bit low, fuhk! THANKS everyone!

Yes you can clean it with the K&N recharge kit.

Glad you got it sorted.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:24 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

thanks freebird! any idea what the torq spec is on those banjo's?

Old 05-05-2010, 05:35 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

thanks freebird! any idea what the torq spec is on those banjo's?

No. I don't have the instructions anymore, I just wrench them till tight.

Quick Reply: Serious Oil Blow By w/ Big Sucker II