Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron Sportster Tyres

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Rustyj
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Iron Sportster Tyres

Hi Guys,

Im a first bike person with new Iron 883 and the tyres feel wrong to me. They have no grip or seem hard to me for UK roads. I am just a bad rider or does anyone else no anything that may help. The pressure is as per manual, and they are the Dunlop tyres. The bike is 09 model with 1200 miles?

Thanks

RustyJ

Old 05-03-2010, 09:43 AM
hungoverdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I'm a UK rider too. I think that's just how the bike feels, they aren't the best tires but they're def not the worst.
You gotta trust them though or you're gonna have accident mate.
Have fun.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:50 AM
marker
Intermediate

Hey Rusty

Mine's a Nightster but I agree on the rubber - hated the Dunlops in the wet and not much better in the dry. So, in December I swapped for Avon Venom X's - bike's transformed. Watch 'em for the first few miles though, the mould release is a bitch to shift. I resorted to scrubbing down with sandpaper and white spirit, BUT - now, they totally rock. White lines, tar snakes, drain covers, Avons just eat 'em all.
They changed the bike so much I could stop worrying about the grip, so then I realised what a lousy front end the Nightster still had, even after I put in Progressive springs - so now I have a fork brace. And now, she handles like a real bike

Does this help?

Marker

Old 05-03-2010, 10:54 AM
marker
Intermediate

Forgot to mention, I'm UK too up here in sunny Lancashire so I know about wet roads and crap surfaces!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:54 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by marker
Hey Rusty

Mine's a Nightster but I agree on the rubber - hated the Dunlops in the wet and not much better in the dry. So, in December I swapped for Avon Venom X's - bike's transformed. Watch 'em for the first few miles though, the mould release is a bitch to shift. I resorted to scrubbing down with sandpaper and white spirit, BUT - now, they totally rock. White lines, tar snakes, drain covers, Avons just eat 'em all.
They changed the bike so much I could stop worrying about the grip, so then I realised what a lousy front end the Nightster still had, even after I put in Progressive springs - so now I have a fork brace. And now, she handles like a real bike

Does this help?

Marker
Hey Marker... can you please tell us the size of the Avon Venom X you bought for both front and rear? thanks!

Old 05-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Cyclops
Advanced

Originally Posted by marker
Hey Rusty
White lines, tar snakes, drain covers, Avons just eat 'em all.
I would be interested to hear more about these as well. On the other side of the pond here in Texas, we have (at least in my area) lots of section of roads that have more tar snake on them then actual pavement particularly in the turns. Would be interested in anything that gives an advantage on them.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:26 PM
will227457
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustyj
Hi Guys,

Im a first bike person with new Iron 883 and the tyres feel wrong to me. They have no grip or seem hard to me for UK roads. I am just a bad rider or does anyone else no anything that may help. The pressure is as per manual, and they are the Dunlop tyres. The bike is 09 model with 1200 miles?

Thanks

RustyJ
While I am sure you really are talking about tires....not tyres....LOL I agree the factory dunlops while not bad are not great in the handeling department they are meant as an all arounder....avon, metzler and other companies make a sticker tire with good wear that will give you the confidance you need for your specific conditions....

Old 05-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Cyclops
Advanced

Originally Posted by will227457
While I am sure you really are talking about tires....not tyres....LOL
Nope, tires are used to drive on the right side of the road and tyres are used to drive on the left.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:26 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

IMO, Metzler ME880's and Avon Venom's are both significantly better handling tires than the stock Dunflops. The Avon's have a slight edge over the Metz in the traction area, but the Metz will give you the most mileage, close to 50% more than the Dunflops.

I've run several sets of the Metzler 880's and love them. I'll never put Dunlop 401's on a bike again.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Rustyj
3rd Gear

Thanks guys Im still wondering if its tyres or tires. I should have just said rubbery things. I really appreciate all the comments. After a light shower I took a very tight bend at Approx 15 after a drizzle (it was then sunny) and the front wanted to slide. Now I'm no tyre (or tire) expert but that is bad. I'm going to change them or else I will be off the bike soon. They are hard and offer very little grip in my oppinion. They may last 2 years but so what if I fall off as a result.
Better find some money. The Avon tyres sound good anyone else tried bridgestone or do they not make a tyre for Sporty

thanks

rustyj

Quick Reply: Iron Sportster Tyres