Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low fuel light coming on within 20 miles of full tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 09:50 PM
haknslash
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Low fuel light coming on within 20 miles of full tank

Man I've had a hell of a day.

It all started off with going to work this morning. It was chilly so I grabbed my quick release windshield and threw it on my 07 Nightster. I had about 1/4 tank of fuel left and I have a long haul to work so I decided to go ahead and fill up after leaving the house. I top off the tank slowly and head on my way. Doing about 70 or so on the freeway and only 20 miles since i just filled up i noticed my low fuel light came on and stayed on for about 2 miles. Then it turned off for a bit and then came back on. I smelled no fuel leaking and figured my sending unit must be acting up or something. The bike only has 2,100 miles on it now. After a while of it coming on and off I decided to pull into the gas station off the next exit. I check the fuel and sure enough it looks to of used maybe half a gallon, if that. I topped it off again and headed on my way to work. A few miles down the road I heard this clank and dragging metal on pavement sound. Look down and see my shift linkage to the forward controls dragging on the ground doing 70 mph lol. I kept my foot under the shift lever in case it decided to jam into the pavement and catapult me off the bike. Pull over and see that my socket cap screw that cinches the linkage to the shaft spline has disappeared, probably due to vibes getting it loose over time.

I was about 10 miles from work so I had to use the inside of my ankle and boot to hold the linkage together on the shaft just to limp into work. Upon riding my fuel light starts acting up again. I take it to the local HD dealer and have them install a new bolt for the linkage and add some blue loctite. I had to rush back to work on my lunch so I didn't have time to have them look at my bike for the fuel light issue. I get back to work and pul into my parking spot. Get off the bike and notice some tar looking stuff on my drive belt. Upon closer inspection it appears a freaking rock has pierced thru the drive belt and made a mushroom on the outer side. I'm guessing my tire or something flung a rock into it. It could of been that way for who knows how long but I've only had the bike a week and this is the first time seeing it. New belt is $170 from HD and about an hour of labor to reinstall. Greeaaat.

Leaving work I fill up again. Head home and sure enough within 20 miles or so the damn low fuel light comes back on and starts acting up. I get home knowing I have plenty of gas and remvoe my windshield to go for a ride. The low fuel light NEVER came back on again or started acting up. Coincidence? Possibly. The only cables that the shield touch are my clutch and front brake lines. I'm at a loss and I'm wondering if my fuel sending unit is going haywire.

Anyone heard of this happening or have some ideas they'd like to share? I'm all ears and need some help pointing me in the right direction. I googled fuel sending unit issues and found some info for testing the unit for reading ohms but it was for a softail and I'm not sure if the same technique applies.

Thanks for reading my long winded hell of a day summary. Your help or advice is much appreciated!!

Kenny

Last edited by haknslash; 04-29-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:38 PM
Topdogg
Cruiser

Sucks to hear about your day, I've had days like that where I wonder why I even got up if nothing was going to go right. Once I lost a baffle out of my aftermarket exhaust while doing full speed on the freeway. I had a similar issue with the check engine light, turned out to be an unplugged sensor took it in to the dealer and they looked it over figured it out, fixed it and even washed it for me, no cost. When you finally get all the kinks worked out you're going to enjoy the heck out of your bike.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Nonstop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MY fuel light (not the other stuff lol) did this exact thing the other day. I know they have issues and it's acted up before but never like this. Thank fully i use reset my trip ever fill up, cause i know that stupid light is lying to me.

Too bad HD doesn't come good on things like this, and rocker box cover gaskets for the 07's.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:34 AM
chevy94ss
Road Captain

I know the fuel light is annoying but it is nowhere near accurate. I just use my trip and fill up around 100 miles or so(3.3 gallon tank)

Old 04-30-2010, 06:16 AM
wharfrat1959
Advanced

the dealer replaced the sensor in the fuel tank on mine when the same issue presented inside of 5k miles. 1,500 miles later, they replaced the entire speedometer when it was clear that didn't fix the problem. since then, no problem with it.
@ nonstop - the dealer also replaced the gasket and cover on the rear cylinder of my 07 under warranty (21k miles at the time). tech said the front was still within specs, so he couldn't get it done as well but he tried. so far, it's fine.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:46 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

my 09 fuel light acts strange also not at 20 miles but at about 50-60
it comes on, i have stopped to fill up and usually only get 1.5-1.8 gallons
in it.
so now i just reset the trip meter and fuel up between 90-100.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:24 AM
haknslash
Cruiser

I reset my trip as well but it's more of an annoyance thing with the fuel light than anything else. Does anyone know if the new fuel gauge you can buy that sits on top of the front brake master cylinder uses a new sensor? I'm thinking of maybe buying it and maybe it will be accurate to some degree.

Originally Posted by wharfrat1959
the dealer replaced the sensor in the fuel tank on mine when the same issue presented inside of 5k miles. 1,500 miles later, they replaced the entire speedometer when it was clear that didn't fix the problem. since then, no problem with it.
@ nonstop - the dealer also replaced the gasket and cover on the rear cylinder of my 07 under warranty (21k miles at the time). tech said the front was still within specs, so he couldn't get it done as well but he tried. so far, it's fine.
So you're saying the speedo ended up being the culprit? I've had mine act crazy and act like I told it to go into diagnostic mode just from washing it and having a good bit of water on it. I wonder if that is the same issue with mine.

How can you tell if a rocker gasket is going bad, just so I know what to look for?

Last edited by haknslash; 04-30-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:46 AM
Petesnot
Cruiser

I think replacing the belt might take a bit more than an hour, unless you're an accomplished mechanic. I'm pretty sure you'll need to pull the swing arm to replace the belt.
I'm pretty sure there are patch kits for belts - ok as long as the edge of your belt is sound.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:19 AM
sundevilgw
2nd Gear

Had same problem with low fuel light on 08 Nightster. Came on once first time then would not come on at all. and after a few attempts from the dealer to diagnose problem, it was stuck on! Tried replacing speedo, did not work. They finally put on a newer model fuel pump.... I think thats what they said.
It works every time now, just tends to come on early. I do the same as others with miles anyway and use light as a little reminder when riding hard.
I would think if the dealer called HD they would have told them how to fix... ?

Old 04-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Was riding a couple weeks ago, just out enjoying the day, running along about 45 or 50 mph, i look down and my speedo says 0..then it started working, it was just a few seconds but i was thinking great, new bike already broke...it has not acted up since then, but i expect it will sooner or later.

Quick Reply: Low fuel light coming on within 20 miles of full tank