Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tank lift, wire tuck, coil relocation... i got myself into a mess!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 07:58 PM
sorensentyler
Road Captain
Received 121 Likes on 68 Posts
Default tank lift, wire tuck, coil relocation... i got myself into a mess!

the other day i finished fabbing my tank lift kit. got some stuff from tractor supply welded a few things and it was done. looked awesome! anyways, i am in the process of tucking the wires under the tank, and i didn't realize how complicated it was going to be! have to disconnect wires put them on which ever side you chose. well lets just say, i'm not good at this stuff, so i stopped for that night... on the brighter side of things the coil relocation looks pretty easy (i guess looks can be decieving though) i did manage to get the plastic siding off and call me crazy, but i think it actually made the bike louder! maybe better airflow getting to the engine. hopefully things go better tomorrow...

Old 04-30-2010, 08:25 AM
brainfrz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sorensentyler
the other day i finished fabbing my tank lift kit. got some stuff from tractor supply welded a few things and it was done. looked awesome! anyways, i am in the process of tucking the wires under the tank, and i didn't realize how complicated it was going to be! have to disconnect wires put them on which ever side you chose. well lets just say, i'm not good at this stuff, so i stopped for that night... on the brighter side of things the coil relocation looks pretty easy (i guess looks can be decieving though) i did manage to get the plastic siding off and call me crazy, but i think it actually made the bike louder! maybe better airflow getting to the engine. hopefully things go better tomorrow...
Keep us posted- I'm thinking of doing the same. It seems like this is borderline outa my scope. Got any Pics with the tank off and the wiring mess?

Old 04-30-2010, 08:35 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

so removing the plastic siding made the bike louder... man... I believe you have been inhaling plastic fumes!... :-)

it shouldn't be that difficult to relocate the cables if you removed the plastic cover... I removed all the cable ties and wrapping to make it easier to reroute the cables...

Old 06-08-2010, 11:55 AM
WDHGS
Road Captain

When you lift the tank 2", do you need to purchase a new fuel line or is the stock long enough? Thanx--

Old 06-08-2010, 12:03 PM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You shouldnt have to purchase a new fuel line for 2"
I can remember if mine was a 2" lift or a 1.5" lift.
The biggest pain was really just cutting all the factory plastic harnesses.
Tucking the wires were easy, you don't even need to remove the tank just prop it up. All the factory connectors are specially fit for one another so you can't really screw up connecting the wrong one. Just try not to get drunk and do it.
I didnt relocate the coil cuz I didnt have spark plug wires long enough and well a yr later and I still havent done it.
It is a process thats for sure but its a mod you will love.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:34 PM
pochunk69
Cruiser

I just finished mine last night, I have a 3" lift with coil and key relocated. Looks great but with having such a high lift I can see some of the wires between the frame and tank. I think I'm going to get some black rubber tape from my electrical wholesale house and wrap the wires to the frame so I don't see them. Also with the rubber tape it is self sticking only so if I need to get at it again my wires won't be covered in crap. Also the fuel line was fine. Good luck and post again if you need more answers.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Panasoffkee
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not do like I saw on TV. Take the tank off and wear it on your back like a back pack?

Old 06-08-2010, 06:25 PM
WDHGS
Road Captain

Thanks gang--I'm going to go with 2" unless the tank won't clear my handlebars when turned all the way left/right. I'll figure out some way to do it!!

Can someone explain the wire tuck, what's involved, and the best way to accomplish it?

Last edited by WDHGS; 06-08-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:42 PM
pochunk69
Cruiser

I took off my seat and loosened the bolt at the rear of the tank, just loose not off, and removed the front bolt of the tank and propped it up and out of the way. Then I just cut off all the zip ties on the plastic attached to the frame. Then undid the screws and move the wire harnesses one by one onto top of frame and then zip tied them tight, occasionaly checking to make sure the tank would cover them. Really simple just take your time to make sure it looks nice when your done. With you're mirrors flipped they might hit the tank a little bit, mine barely touch but I also put drag bars on. I haven't hit them while riding, only when I go to park it.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:04 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I should have for warned you about wrapping all the wires in electrical tape so the multi colors dont show. My Bad!

Quick Reply: tank lift, wire tuck, coil relocation... i got myself into a mess!