Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you keep stock parts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 02:33 PM
ernofsteel007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brainfrz think it through, stock is better than no bike at all.
if you do part it out the only way your getting decent $$ is to sell the part out all at once.
i sell ebay alot, go check out a guy on ebay handle: mechanix1 he parts out entire sportsters in one shot ALL the time n the say he auctions gets him more $$ than guys who try sell a couple parts at a time.
i'd seriously just be happy stock rather than go the sell it whole or part out route.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:34 PM
brainfrz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Curt1953
I just kept my stock air cleaner and mufflers. Trust me if Obama and Al Gore gets their way on the cap and trade bill we all will be going back to stock for the clean air act of the bill.
my pops keeps telling me about that. is that a real threat? u think it really will be a problem soon? not to threadjack my own thread..

Old 04-29-2010, 02:35 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I do not have some of my stock parts since I bought the bike used, but the only parts I have kept that I have taken off is the seat-part of the XL50 package and the mirror and I ended up putting them back on.

I say sell them and get some money back

Old 04-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Doctrey
Tourer

I'm kinda in the same boat, with not being able to milk money away from other things to spend on my Iron. I try to sell all my stuff because A) I don't have the room for it, and B) I don't have a bunch of money lying around to spend unless I sell stuff. I tell people that selling a bike with aftermarket gear on it is like selling a house with a pool: you're not going to make any money off of the extras, but if someone else selling the same kind of house without a pool, you're more likely to entice the buyer. Just my outlook on it, and it has worked well for ME in the past.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:26 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

If you do sell your stock stuff try to have the buyer come to your workplace to look at it. There have been cases of "buyers" coming over to look at parts just to scope out your ride and the security of your garage, next day you come home from work and your bike is gone.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member

I keep some of the take offs and give some to buddies when they need it or want it. They do the same with me, the SE exhaust on my Sporty was take offs from my buds Softtail.

I may eventually sell some of the parts but I tend to hold onto them in case I or someone needs them.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:54 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I re-assembled the stock exhaust and hung it on my wall as "art". Now, my "take-off parts box" is smaller because of it. But yes, I throw all the take offs into a box up in my attic.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:04 AM
brainfrz
Cruiser

I'm going t opost all my parts in clasifieds on here. There is just to much I want to do to my bike and I don't have the $$. I got the title for the bike and don't plan on getting rid of the thing, maybe buying another bike down the road. So if anyone is looking for parts keep an eye out for my post.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:18 PM
Xenomorph
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
I re-assembled the stock exhaust and hung it on my wall as "art". Now, my "take-off parts box" is smaller because of it. But yes, I throw all the take offs into a box up in my attic.
Ha ha! That's great!

I've actually been brainstorming lately about different things to use my OEM stuff for in my garage that would make them practical. For instance, I'm gonna turn my OEM bars into a paper towel, extension cord holder. I'm gonna attach the risers right to the wall and have the bars come right em! May turn my ham can air cleaner into an artistic expression along with my mid controls. Haaaha!

I say, for the nickles and dimes I'd get for my OEM stuff on EvilBay, I'd rather have OEM Harley crap hanging off the walls of my garage!

Old 04-30-2010, 04:35 PM
tjae
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Begger here

If you have stock 1200 heads laying around, I need some. I'd be more than happy to clear up some of you attic space... (Not totally begging, I am willing to pay for them).

Quick Reply: Do you keep stock parts?