Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't Start Once Warm HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 05:01 PM
BurpleHugger
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Won't Start Once Warm HELP!!!

So I'm riding to work today and about 15 miles into my commute my 98 hugger turns off. No warning, no hesitation, backfire, nothing, just shut off. I tried to restart while sitting at the light but it just tunred. So I pushed off the side of the road.

When I got this beauty the former owner told me that every now and again after a long ride that the bike would not start, and if it happened to me that I should let the bike sit for 20-30 minutes and would fire right back up. It happened a couple of times after some rides and sure enough it fired right up after letting it sit. This is the second time it's happened.

So I let it sit for about 30-45 minutes and she fired right back up for me (both times). What in the world could be causing this? Is the heat possibly causing something to expand and once it's cooled a little and contracts it's good? I recently changed the plug wires as they were pretty corroded. There was some carbon build up on the plugs but I have not replaced those. Other than a loose wire somewhere I don't know where to begin. Oh yeah, first bike, had it about two and half months.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:31 PM
jered
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not saying this is the answer but it'll get your post bumped at least...

I'd start with checking the vacuum lines to the petcock, if they are letting air leak out, the petcock is supposed to stop allowing fuel when it's not under vacuum. Just one place to start.

also check

wires on tight
plugs in secure
plugs good

Got fuel getting thru the carb?

Just a few items to check and see... Hopefully the simple vacuum issue is the problem, check vacuum hose and your rolling...

Old 04-27-2010, 10:58 AM
BurpleHugger
Cruiser

Jered - thx for the bump brotha! Checked the vac line to the pet **** and it is secured but a little too loosely fitting so I'll get that replaced ASAP. Also, found that the line from the bottom of my carb (clean air line?) is busted although I couldn't see where it is suppose to go. Gonna replace the plugs and these lines to night so I'll let you know what happens....it's raining through the week here so I may not get to test ride it 'til Friday evening. Cheers

Old 04-27-2010, 12:10 PM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

have you tried pulling the fuel cap off to see if its vapor locking
when this happens?

had and fj1200 a few years back and the pinhole in the cap
became clogged up, with out this being able to vent it
would create too strong of a vacuum ( vapor lock) and the fuel
wouldnt flow.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:12 PM
BurpleHugger
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 1HD1C
have you tried pulling the fuel cap off to see if its vapor locking
when this happens?

had and fj1200 a few years back and the pinhole in the cap
became clogged up, with out this being able to vent it
would create too strong of a vacuum ( vapor lock) and the fuel
wouldnt flow.
I have not tried that but will definitely make it a point to take a look at this as well. I did add a new tank and lined it, maybe of the liner clogged it up.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:37 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

+1 on the possibility of vapor lock. Make sure the tank is venting and also check that the fuel line isn't laying on the jugs.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:41 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by BurpleHugger
I have not tried that but will definitely make it a point to take a look at this as well. I did add a new tank and lined it, maybe of the liner clogged it up.
if it was happening with the previous owner then your replacement tank wouldn't do it.

did you keep the same fuel cap?

add new fuel lines? the reason i ask this is on another bike i had, once the engine heated up the rubber lines would get hot and since they were so old would collapse on themselves cutting off fuel flow once it cooled off a little they would pop back open.

hope this helps.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:50 PM
BurpleHugger
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 1HD1C
if it was happening with the previous owner then your replacement tank wouldn't do it.

did you keep the same fuel cap?

add new fuel lines? the reason i ask this is on another bike i had, once the engine heated up the rubber lines would get hot and since they were so old would collapse on themselves cutting off fuel flow once it cooled off a little they would pop back open.

hope this helps.

The former owner said it wouldn't start AFTER a long run. It never happened to him while riding. I did change caps with the new tank. I replaced the fuel line to the petcock but the vaccums lines I replaced last night. I also replaced the plugs, and ensured that the fuel line was not on the jugs (cHarley Thanks) and cleaned up the vent in the tank. I'm out of town until Friday so I won't be able to test ride 'til then but I'll be sure to give an update then....THANKS EVERYONE and wish me luck.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:40 AM
BurpleHugger
Cruiser

So in my paranoid state of “do it twice and check thrice” I noticed that the vent is completely plugged. It appears as though it came from the manufacturer like this. I found out when I stuck a 18 gauge electrical wire through the valve on the top of the tank and I couldn’t push it through and out the bottom. I took the hose off the bottom valve and found that it is plugged with what looks like brass. So follow up question, and it’s a dumb one! This potentially is causing Vapor Lock correct? Second question is, how the hell do I get it unplugged? I haven’t called Drag Specialties who makes the tank because I wanted to chime in first. Do I drill that out or is there some Jedi trick to it? I sold the old tank yesterday so that’s out. I didn’t ride in today because I really didn’t want to spend any time on the side of the road today. Some thumb nails for reference. One of the top vent and the other of the bottom valve.

Attached Thumbnails Won't Start Once Warm HELP!!!-fuel-tank-external-valve.jpg   Won't Start Once Warm HELP!!!-fuel-tank-internal-valve.jpg  
Old 05-24-2010, 10:31 AM
BurpleHugger
Cruiser

Alright, update. My last post was about the plugged vent. Turns out the "vent" i was looking at is the overflow. My tank is venting fine.

So I've eliminated vapor lock. Took it (FINALLY) on a ride yesterday and BAM 15 minutes into the ride it shut down again. THIS TIME I had my tools with me. I checked to make sure fuel was flowing to the carb by pulling the fuel line. Like Niagra Falls.

Pulled the plug wires one at a time and put an old plug in each and tested fire while cranking the bike. BUPKUS. No fire at the wires. The wires are new. Coil maybe? Almost there...

Last edited by BurpleHugger; 05-24-2010 at 10:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Won't Start Once Warm HELP!!!