Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trusting mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 10:04 PM
ggold
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trusting mechanic

I live in the south florida area, had a really bad experience with 1 of the local dealer, their service manager flat out lied to me the GM solved the issue but I just cannot trust them with my bike. I can do alot of work myself, but just for the sake of it, I would like to have a trusted mechanic give it a once over every now and then. If anyone knows somebody in my area please let me know either thru this forum or e-mail. Thanks alot in advance.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:10 PM
SportsterCraig
Cruiser
Default RE: trusting mechanic

If you were in Central Florida I could help you out.I know a good shop here but I dont know about southern Florida

Old 08-10-2006, 10:43 PM
XL OCD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're on the other coast (33909) American Cycles and Accessories is the best shop I've found. Ask for 'Hacksaw' to be your tech. Bike mechanics are like tattoo artists... I'm very selective.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:20 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a similar experience with a Harley dealer here in Nashville. After I complained to the owner.....the **** poor staff members were replaced. They are now a bunch of wonderful guys and one gal that really knows her stuff.....

Old 08-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Dave_E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The day after I picked up my 883R I had a serious time with the "motor clothes" gals on the showroom floor. Made sure the GM knew about it. Won't have to visit the service dept as I am my own mechanic, parts guys are great so far. Don't be discouraged by 1 bad experience, go see another dealership if one is reasonably close by or find an independant shop. This goes for everything, cars, trucks, boats, even lawnmowers! Get some manuals (if you don't already have them) and start to dabble yourself. The amount of satisfaction and fun you can have wrenching your own ride are rewarding! There is also a wealth of knowledge here on the forum to draw from. Good luck.

Old 08-11-2006, 05:37 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks but when it comes to dealership mechanics it's a crap shoot. You might get someone right out of school or the 20 year vet. Hopefully the GM took care of the Service Manager.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:47 PM
ggold
Advanced

Yes he did, I can do most of the work myself it just would be nice to know a reliable source for future, I hear the same stories about dealers i'm real particular about who touches my bike

Old 08-12-2006, 06:31 PM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too had some bad lets call it customer relations.It was the attitude of twp people in the parts dept.I talked to the GM after I asked to talk to my original salesman.He told me he was sorry.I went down to the dealer a few days later to buy oil and a filter.I got 5 quarts of syn 3 and a filter to change the engine and primary oil.The GM saw me there and footed the $53 bill.I told him I would pay I wasn't trying to get something for nothing.He insisted it gets billed to the sales dept.A week later the owner stopped me in the store and told me he was glad I brought it up as it has been a problem before but they didn't know how bad it was.I told him I wasn't out to cause a problem just felt buying a new bike should deserve some respect not a cold shoulder.The problem is now corrected at least for me.I am stand up guy and was pleased to send down enough pizza for the entire staff of the dealership.Problems can be worked out but only if you have the ***** to speak up.Initially I felt it was because I bought a sporty but saw a guy that ordered a set of $600 pipes go through the same thing.I brought that up with the owner also.I don't know if that guy did but he left with the pipes.It's not just what they do to you it's also what you see or hear that they do to other bikers.