Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's Snickerin now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:45 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Seems like everyone talks about those buying a Sportster do so because of the $$$. Well, I'm retired now and I sold some of my toys, a 65 Vette, etc., so money was not the object. I bought the Sporty because that was the bike I wanted. Period.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:16 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know last season there were a ton of Sportys around here and there seems to be this season as well. I mean they are HD's a good bike and you can do tons to them plus they do not cost more then a good car to buy. I love my Sporty. I was a Adventure HD in Dover Oh this past weekend and on display in the dealer was a XL50. I asked how many miles was on it and they said none-it's the owners and he will never sell it. So the ower of a huge HD dealer even has a soft spot for a sporty NICE!

Old 04-19-2010, 09:47 AM
ernofsteel007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by capitalist_slave
Seems like a lot of people get a big twin or another model of bike when they'd be more happy on a Sporty.
I think it has more to do with the stigma of riding a smaller bike more than anything else.
I've ridden Softails, Dyna's, and Sportsters... i like the Sportster best.
It's a shame if someone get's a bike they'll like less just cuz they want a "Big Boy Bike".
i agree, i had a BT a awhile back (sold it) my uncles gotta softail with a ultima "127ci which is cool but the tankish feel compared to the light n nimble sportster handling always turned me off and i like dinking 20 yr olds (they dig Sportster, Vrod, Buell) so i went with the sportster.
when i had a softail i noticed i attracted 30 to 55yr old women, which is cool some of them are still hot but i'll take the 20yr old fox given the choice, i love harleys and i love laying pipe to 20yr olds and sportster fills both my needs

Old 04-19-2010, 03:17 PM
BurpleHugger
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know if it's just because I'm a new owner (one of the guys that came to his senses) but I've noticed lots of Sportsters as well. Like roaches they are everywhere and hard to stomp out . I've gotten more jealous comments and compliments from big bike owners and spent a fraction. Got my 98 hugger on a trade and spent 2k on upgrades and little touches.......mines luder, faster, and shinier, SUCKAAAAAHS!!

Attached Thumbnails Who's Snickerin now?-img00110-20100415-1531.jpg  
Old 04-20-2010, 09:19 PM
WDHGS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by capitalist_slave
Seems like a lot of people get a big twin or another model of bike when they'd be more happy on a Sporty.
I think it has more to do with the stigma of riding a smaller bike more than anything else.
I've ridden Softails, Dyna's, and Sportsters... i like the Sportster best.
It's a shame if someone get's a bike they'll like less just cuz they want a "Big Boy Bike".
Right on. I had an 08 883C decked out (V&H shorties, tons of chrome, etc.) and traded her in for a Dyna Fat Bob, and ended up selling the Fat Bob last summer to return to a Sportster for this year. I kick myself because my Sportster was paid off and was a great ride. The Fat Bob was smooth and really showed some attitude, but I didn't enjoy riding it any more than my sportster. It just wasn't what I thought it would be. So onto the 2010 Iron--I drove over an hour to find one--and let the mods begin!!

Old 04-20-2010, 09:39 PM
rscalzo
Road Warrior
Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

because that was the bike I wanted
That's the point. It's your life and no one elses.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:55 PM
JuniorNasty
Road Captain

It's funny that I see this thread because I was debating on getting a Dyna or a Sportster. I always wanted a Sportster but almost changed my mind due to everybody saying I'm getting a chick's bike. I love the look and especially the potential a Sportster has. It will be my first Harley (always had crotch rockets) and they are so much more affordable than other models. Hoping to get it soon.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:11 PM
The Guardian
Road Warrior

I went with a bigger bike over a sporty because I did not feel comfortable riding a sporty. And I don't say that as in "my ***** were hurting"

That thing felt like I was riding a bicycle.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:53 PM
wharfrat1959
Advanced

Originally Posted by BadMoon
I would like to see a Sportster "only" get together in DF/W sometime this summer.
pm me if you ever that off the ground!

Old 04-21-2010, 05:52 PM
WDHGS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by XL50#674
I love my Sporty. I was a Adventure HD in Dover Oh this past weekend ...So the owner of a huge HD dealer even has a soft spot for a sporty NICE!
Yep, I grew up in that area-- Mike Davis, the owner, is a great guy and has built quite a dealership there right off of I-77. I think their bikes are overpriced, but everything else is very comparable and they have a great crew there and a HUGE dealership with a great set-up.

Quick Reply: Who's Snickerin now?