Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mirror flipping question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 06:17 AM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mirror flipping question

I really like the look of the flipped mirrors on the new Fourty-Eight. I think they would also look good on the Nightster. For anyone that has done it...is there anything else involved with flipping them? Are the stock turn signals in the way? I really don't want to relocate them onto the fork tubes. Thanks!

Old 04-18-2010, 06:31 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

You could of flipped them and checked them out in the time it took you to type that question.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:07 AM
Nonstop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Switch the right to the left, and the left to the right.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:54 AM
barrachuck
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Took me all of about 5 minutes to do it.....Shes always complained I was too fast.....but it was just too easy.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:10 AM
BadMoon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They work great flipped on my Nightster with 16 inch apes. Turn signals replaced with Leds in the headlight mount.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:37 PM
SauerKraut
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's easy just adjust them so the stem doesn't hit the front turn signals. Then check that they don't hit the tank when you turn the bars. Very easy just enough time to down a beer.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Nighty09
Cruiser

Need a wrench for the mirror and an allen wrench for the turn signals. the turn signals are on a ball joint, a twist of the allen wrench allows you to loosen em enough to reposition (if needed). Super simple job.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:53 PM
wraith883
Cruiser

i'm with these guys, took longer for me to dig the tools out then to swap the mirrors. The turn signals on my bike were easy enough to move out of the way by hand, no allen wrench needed, swapped em around, adjusted and test rode. Vast improvement on how the bike looks now and the mirrors are actually functional now.
J

Old 04-18-2010, 07:23 PM
BucksBike
Cruiser

It's easy with the smaller tank Sporsters. With the larger/wider tanks on the customs and lows only the one side works with the short stem mirrors (If I'm rermenbering correctly you can use the short stem on the right).

Old 04-18-2010, 08:11 PM
btamburro
Advanced

Originally Posted by wraith883
i'm with these guys, took longer for me to dig the tools out then to swap the mirrors. The turn signals on my bike were easy enough to move out of the way by hand, no allen wrench needed, swapped em around, adjusted and test rode. Vast improvement on how the bike looks now and the mirrors are actually functional now.
J
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I could not get my left side mirror adjusted right so that it would not hit the tank on my Iron when I turn the bars full lock to the left. The right side was easy, no problems. I even went to the length of readjusting my bars to give the left mirror more clearance, but no mater what I did, I need at least 1/8" more. I turned that stem and mirror every way possible.

I don't like the look of the stock mirrors anyway, so I ordered a set of Lick's 3" round mirrors, figuring they would look better, and I'd be able to mount them underneath the bars since they are smaller. Still no luck. But they do look much better than the stock ones, even mounted up top. Visibility of traffic behind me stayed about the same.

It looks to me like the right side works because the mirror stem mounts farther forward on the brake lever bracket, while the left side mounting hole is closer (if that makes any sense?); therefore the right side naturally has more room for clearance. I'm very mechanically inclined, so I'm a little frustrated that this simple flip is something that I can't get right. Am I missing something, or are you guys OK with the left mirror hitting the tank at full lock when you park it and have the kick-stand down?

Quick Reply: Mirror flipping question