Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mirror flipping question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 05:29 AM
jeffc68
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah before I make the switch I would like to hear what others have to say.

Originally Posted by btamburro
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I could not get my left side mirror adjusted right so that it would not hit the tank on my Iron when I turn the bars full lock to the left. The right side was easy, no problems. I even went to the length of readjusting my bars to give the left mirror more clearance, but no mater what I did, I need at least 1/8" more. I turned that stem and mirror every way possible.

I don't like the look of the stock mirrors anyway, so I ordered a set of Lick's 3" round mirrors, figuring they would look better, and I'd be able to mount them underneath the bars since they are smaller. Still no luck. But they do look much better than the stock ones, even mounted up top. Visibility of traffic behind me stayed about the same.

It looks to me like the right side works because the mirror stem mounts farther forward on the brake lever bracket, while the left side mounting hole is closer (if that makes any sense?); therefore the right side naturally has more room for clearance. I'm very mechanically inclined, so I'm a little frustrated that this simple flip is something that I can't get right. Am I missing something, or are you guys OK with the left mirror hitting the tank at full lock when you park it and have the kick-stand down?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Doctrey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my mirror flip this weekend on my Iron. It looks great (I have mini-apes), and I actually like the visibility with them on the bottom. I didn't have a problem seeing in them with the mini-apes, but I didn't want anyone to see me riding with them way up in the sky above my bars. I also did the signal relocation to the front fork mount, and it looks saweeeeeeeet! I have some before and after pics, I just have to find time to get the pics loaded.