Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide on which sportster!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:41 PM
mickgeee
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide on which sportster!!

Hey everyone.. new to the boards and basically new to Harley Davidson all together. I've ridden my girl's mom's Springer Softail and it's ok but I definitely want something blacked out and rockabilly looking.

In the meantime, I've been looking through the HD bike catalogue, the website, youtube, everywhere!

It's basically between the Nightster and the Forty-Eight. I'm 6'0"/220 lbs.

Most of the reviews on the forty-eight have been from guys that are 5'5" +/- 2". I looked at the specs between the two and they seemed almost the same.. an inch here, an inch there etc.. (or not even!)

And then I saw this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXc2SwoiaT4 geeeeeeez

The nightster does have a bigger tank. I'm looking for both in-town and cruising. What am I looking to spend on aftermarket exhaust (the stock sounds weak) and accent parts like forward controls or hand controls etc..

Sportbiker turned Cruiser fan.. damned knees getcha everytime!

Thanks for any tips!
- Rich

Old 04-16-2010, 11:47 PM
JoeFriday77
Cruiser

Between those two, I would go with the Nightster. While I think the 48 is cool, I don't know how practical it is for doing much than just short hops. If you will be riding for more than 1+ hours straight, you would probably want a more comfortable seat which would not go with the 48 looks. On the 48, I have read where people report that it turns slower due to the larger front wheel.

Just my opinion... I really like the looks of the 48, but I just don't know how practical it would be to ride for any length of time.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:55 PM
mickgeee
Novice

man.. I really do love that front tire..

Any word on how much changing that out would be?

Old 04-16-2010, 11:59 PM
RyanC
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Go with ur gut.

I have an 07 Nightster and love it. I just bought an 09 XR 1200 today. They are both a blast. The Nightster has old school look with a modern twist and technology. It's quck, nimble and fun. The XR is FN BLAST. Very forgiving and easy to ride. Sport bike esque with HD charm. Very quick, great brakes, really good stock shocks and that thing grooves corners VERY WELL. Wow factor well. I have two steeds for a various reasons. Old school, modern twist. Do your homework and see what fits you best for you style. To each his own. Good luck. I'm 5'8'. You can rock any Sporty with the right setup( controls, seat n bars). I have a buddy that's 6'4" and he owns 7 Sporty's with nothing but happiness.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:10 AM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Now that I just sent in my last payment on the Street Glide, I'm looking at adding a Sportster to the stable. I'm probably going to go with an Iron. I'm 6'0" and I'll definatley be adding forward controls and sending the seat to MCC to move the riding position back a couple inches. Sat on a 48 that came into the dealership today, even with the forwards that come stock on it, it was still a bit short for me. I'm going to bump it up to 1200 (maybe 1250) but keep the close gear ratio of the 883s. I like the 48 but the 2.1 gallon tank just seems too small for me.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:15 AM
mickgeee
Novice

what's MCC?

Old 04-17-2010, 12:25 AM
RyanC
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful and calcualted RKKY. Hot rodding those new sporty's is very exp and time consuming. Buy last months American Iron Mag. The Sportster sect forwarns against hot rodding a new sporty. Theres alot more than just puttin new heads, pistons, cams...in. Emperically make sure u know how to do it yourself or have a great mech to do the work. It was stated that there alot of other expensive components that need love when you do head work cuz a stock Nightster has weak or mediocre pushrods... I realize you much more seasoned than I and I mean no offense. I thought about doing head work on mine till I learned what else needed to be done.

Last edited by RyanC; 04-17-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:47 AM
mickgeee
Novice

Originally Posted by RyanC
It was stated that there alot of other expensive components that need love when you do head work cuz a stock Nightster has weak or mediocre pushrods...
Think he was still talking about the 883.. but then again, not sure if those are weak also

Old 04-17-2010, 11:21 PM
scarpetta
Tourer

I had the same trouble I was between the iron, nightster and the 48 personally. this is what got me on the 48, after making a list of what I wanted to do to the iron and the nightster the cost was near the 48 and the 48 just needs the exhaust really (V&H shortshots look sick on there) where the nightster and Iron needed forward controls, flip the bars, slam or re-locate spedo etc. after looking at the care the flat black paint on the iron needs (I detailed cars for years) I was less than thrilled with that.

after test driving all 3 I went with the 48 and have not regretted it for a second. I have done over an hour on it at a time and can say it is surprisingly comfortable (hands were going numb but moving the handlebars back fixed that). I will say the tank does make for alot of gas stops but to be honest when im riding I like to take my time anyhow and im a smoker so good opportunity to stretch grab a smoke fuel up check my directions etc. at the end of the day I think you would be happy with either model but for me the 48 was the only logical decision. as far as turning with the fatty front tire, I went from a sport bike to the 48 and I have no complaints on steering if anything I feel a little safer with that fat bastard up there being in illinois where the pot holes could swallow a sub compact! if you have any questions on the 48 feel free to ask me, I only got 640 miles on her since i picked her up but ill do my best to answer.

Last edited by scarpetta; 04-17-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:25 PM
The Guardian
Road Warrior

If you're going that route, go nightster. I will warn you that I myself an 6'2 at 220 and felt way too big when I rode those. But whatever you like is your own!

Quick Reply: Help me decide on which sportster!!