Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Front Brake!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:12 PM
BurpleHugger
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No Front Brake!!

So I’m a new Harley owner, 98hugger, with a 1200 kit. Got it in a trade and have done quite a bit to it in the two months I’ve had it. I’m mechanically inclined but not a mechanic so be gentle folks. I replaced the peanut with a Quickbob 3.9 with dash and relocated the ignition and coil, added a Hypercharger air cleaner, tombstone tail light, marker lights, Zbar Handlebars, chrome switches and levers, chrome clutch perch, fluted grips, and 4.5 inch risers. I’ll add pics later. I kept the stock front master cylinder but all the fluid came out when I removed from the original bars….which leads me to:

The front brake. I can’t build any pressure in it. I pumped the lever until my forearm exploded and no pressure (did this for an hour, multiple attempts). When I opened the bleeder valve, while holding the lever in, just a trickle of fluid came out. I called the local dealer looking for a new master cylinder thinking it went bad somehow and they explained that someone probably used Dot 3. The color of the fluid that trickled out was yellowish clear. They then explained that I would have to replace the entire braking system because it damaged the seals and other components in the braking system. Is there any way around this$$$????

The little guy I call common sense that lives in my brain says to try and completely drain and flush/clean out the system. I told him I read somewhere to use “unsatured alcohol.” He was like, “WTF is that?” I wouldn’t know where to buy it but if I were to do that and replenish with Dot 5, would that cure my problem? I didn’t have ANY BREAKING issues prior to my mods. Anyway, any advice would be great. Blessing of the Bikes is this Saturday.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Tike71
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If no braking issues before the mods it leads me to believe there is a lot of air in your brake line. Bleed the brakes (only use the brake fluid that is stated on your master cylinder). If you don't know how to bleed the brakes go on youtube and learn.

BTW did you call the Psychic Friends HD or something? It amazes me the things they come up with just to get your money.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:42 PM
BurpleHugger
Cruiser

Thank god for this forum because I would have take it down to the shop. What did folks like me do before this internet fad? Probably let their bikes rot in the barn....

So bleeding, like car brakes. I thought that's what I was doing. I don't have and never used a one man bleeder although I know they are cheap. Will the bleeder make much of a difference in getting the air out? 100,000 pumps of the leve wouldn't do it? I know these sound like stupid questions

Old 04-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Try pushing in all pistons, usually there is some fluid left in calipers, fluid will come up to master and remove all the air in it's way.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:56 PM
BurpleHugger
Cruiser

Von Zipper - So in your suggestion I would need to drain the master first? I'm concerned that there may be Dot3 or mayonnaise in there. The color is way off Dot5 I put in the master (which my manual calls for).

Old 04-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Tike71
Road Captain

100k pumps is useless if there's still a lot of air in your line. Bleeding the brakes will take a lot of air out, after that you'll get some brake pressure. That's when you can start the 100k lever pumps (or and hour or so of lever pumps)

Check out this brake bleeding video. Different bike, but essentially the same technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkxcQzhgJLU

Old 04-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Tike71
Road Captain

I wasn't aware that your bike takes dot 5 brake fluid. This may potentially be a big problem if your brake system was replaced with something other than dot 5. How long has the fluid been in your brake system that isn't dot 5?

Old 04-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

No need to drain master, once the air is out you can start pumping new DOT-5 thru until you are happy with the color coming out of bleeder. Alternative here is to disassemble calipers to make sure no old fluid is left in there, I'd probably go this route, this would be also a good opportunity to clean and grease pistons.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:18 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by BurpleHugger
Von Zipper - So in your suggestion I would need to drain the master first? I'm concerned that there may be Dot3 or mayonnaise in there. The color is way off Dot5 I put in the master (which my manual calls for).
First, brake fluid changes color over time, you can't look at old fluid and tell for certain what it is.

Second, the correct fluid type for your bike is printed on the MC cap.

Dot 5 cannot be mixed with DOT 3 or 4.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:18 PM
BurpleHugger
Cruiser

uh oh, I have no idea how long the other fluid was in there. I got the bike two months ago so at least that long. How can I verify whether or not it has something other than Dot5? Was the Phsychic at the dealer on to something?

Quick Reply: No Front Brake!!