Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a better Torx bit to use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 12:12 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Is there a better Torx bit to use?

I rounded out 3 T27 screws on the clutch inspection cover.
Are these a standard T27 or do they use the T27IP?

I had to drop my scooter off at the Indy's last night so they can work their magic.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Nonstop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually give the bit a tap with the hammer before trying to turn with the ratchet.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:21 PM
drum412
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replace them with stainless allen pan bolts, they won't strip nearly as easily. Don't feel bad, sooner or later everyone strips those damn torx screws on the cover. Just be smart and don't replace them torx heads again.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:08 PM
blackmopar
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont recall the T# - but bit size on torxbolts can be decieving - try going up one size with the bit - using the correct size bit Ive never had issue with torx bolts - but if youe not careful and use too small a size you can strip em

Old 04-14-2010, 01:28 PM
SpoilSport
Outstanding HDF Member

I removed mine using an ez-out ... hell of a lot cheaper than taking it in.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:42 PM
meepers
Tourer

Originally Posted by blackmopar
i dont recall the T# - but bit size on torxbolts can be decieving - try going up one size with the bit - using the correct size bit Ive never had issue with torx bolts - but if youe not careful and use too small a size you can strip em
+1 on this.. ALSO, make sure your using the pointy edge torx and not the round edge torx.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:41 PM
mumeral
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work on A-10's and they are covered in Torx screws. THey need atleast 80 pounds of pressure for extraction. I always use the torx that barly fits, while it is off, it looks to big, but fits it perfectly. Use a speed handle, or a J bar. Ratchets won't do it justice, u need pressure for the torx to grab and come out. When people don't know what they are doing, round it out or just call them stuck, I come out with their tools and remove them. With their tools, and I bet they feel like girlie men after I use their tools to remove what they can't. Thing is after that they round a few to try and get back at me. Some of these can be so hard, ur drilling for 30 mins for one screw. With ez outs, find a drill bit that is the right size for the ez out, drill in the center about 3/8 of an inch in, and use vice grips on the ez out and a hammer. Tap the ez out while turning it counter-clockwise and it weill eventually grab and come right out. Shouldn't take more then 4, 1/4 turn attempts.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:22 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Next time I'll try tapping the bit in first.
I tried an EZ Out but all it wanted to do is trim off the head.
Probably should have tried it with a ratchet.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:14 PM
drum412
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a cool little tip for removing those stripped torx bolts. Don't mess around with ez-outs, you'll be lucky if they work and they're still a pain in the butt to use in this case. Here's what you do........take a 5/16 or slightly larger bit, and drill just enough that the bolt head pops off, and repeat for any other stripped bolts, and then slip the cover off, then take a pliers to unscrew the leftover screw studs left in the case, you'll crap yourself when you see how easily they'll come out this way once you get the pressure of bolt head removed.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:22 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

HD uses Torx Plus sized bits, not regular Torx....Yeah, you can buy them, but they aren't east to find or cheap due to being patented.

Google up 'torx plus'. They fit VERY tightly into HD's fasteners and reduce possibility of stripping. http://www.wihatools.com/700seri/716serie.htm

Like the guy said, simply replace all fasteners when possible with stainless allen head stuff.

Quick Reply: Is there a better Torx bit to use?