Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rides From The MoCo Demo Truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 01:02 PM
SHTFIT
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rides From The MoCo Demo Truck

My local dealer had the Demo Truck this weekend so I took the opportunity to try out some other models. Some thoughts.....

1st up Road King Classic: Worlds apart from the Nightster. Very heavy, comfy and smooth. Definitely could pile the miles on the King. I'm 5'7" w/ 30' inseam so stock setup wasn't so great for me: slightly on my toes and leaning forward. I would definitely need a lower seat and some pullback bars to feel comfortable but no doubt possible. If my life ever allows me to take serious road trips, I would definitely consider the RKC with a new seat and bars. Vivid Black w/ no chrome please!

2nd up V-Rod Muscle: So different than anything else in the lineup. The motor has a real sophisticated feel and the bike is very fast. Revs like crazy. Never got out of 3rd! I really like this bike but not a fan of the forward controls. It's just a real awkward position with a really far reach to the bars. I'm short but taller guys that took the bike out said the same thing. Maybe an acquired taste. Handling is not as sharp as you'd expect due to the long wheelbase and wide tires, but still fun. I come away thinking that the V-Rod is sorely under appreciated and that with some seat time, I could really come to enjoy this bike

Last but not least, The Forty-Eight. I had to try this one out as I'm 3 years on the Nightster and I wanted to see what kind of Mojo the Forty-Eight had. Cool bike that somehow feels much smaller than the Nightster because of the ol' school tank. It was VERY sharp looking in orange with the 2.1 gal peanut tank, fat front tire, new speedo mount and headlamp. Not surprisingly, loads more fun than the other two.

After 11,000 on the Nightster that has been dyno tuned with a PCIII, A/C and slip ons, I'd forgotten what the stock 1200 configuration felt like. Not nearly as nice as the motor tuned up, but I know the potential so no big deal.

The bars felt real narrow, I like the stock Nightster bars better. I like the stock Nightster seat better too (I know, I know, UNBELIEVABLE, cuz it sucks!). It's just that the Forty-Eight seat is real little. Look great but no room to move around. That fat front tire, although it looks cool, takes way some of the sharpness of the handling.

I ride with the stock mid-controls on the Nightster. The Forty-Eight has forwards. I like 'em both. Roads are real crappy in my area so I tend to stand on the mids a lot, using my legs as suspension, because these bikes don't take bad roads well. The forwards on Sporty's are not that far forward and I find them comfortable even with my short a** legs! I could go either way.

All in all, riding the other bikes makes me appreciate how much fun Sportsters are in general. They are just so much more nimble and for me, just the right size for the back roads and urban riding that I do. Although I enjoyed riding all of the bikes, I was glad to be back on the Nightster. So much for getting bored with theSportster after 6 months!

Old 04-11-2010, 02:48 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I go to those whenever I get a chance and as you say they are all great bikes, but the one I enjoy the most is riding mine back home.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:44 PM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with HOTLAP 100%. I check out the HD web site to keep track of the HD demo fleet and I go anytime they are near enough to take a ride on their bikes for free! It really is GREAT that HD allows the demo bike rides so you can get an idea what it is like to ride on another model. At the end of the day though, I still get a smile on my face when I throw a leg over MY motorcycle as I head back home. If the demo fleet shows up at your local HD dealer, go check it out and have some fun and ride something different. It might suprize you just how nice a ride a different model might be when compared to the ride you already have. In any case, ride safe out there.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:53 AM
chidrock
Advanced

I didn't see the demo truck over the weekend, but I did test drive a Fat Bob. I couldn't believe how big a difference it was driving a bike with a suspension. I just figured that the difference would be a softer ride, but it was like night and day. Not only was the ride smoother, but it was weird sitting lower and "in the bike". I'm not saying one is better than the other, but I now really understand why people have more than one bike. In the end I drove my Iron home because it felt more fun for what I use it for.

I was surprised because even though the Fat Bob was more powerful, the Iron feels more "peppier", like it could take off without me if I don't hold on. The sad thing is that since I drove the Fat Bob, I really would like to add a bigger bike to my stable - but not at the cost of my sportster.

Anyone have experience coming from a sportster and trying a FB and a Road King? My father-in-law has been telling me to go for one of those, but he's a bit biased. (he owns 2 RKs) I think the FB might be better for my aggressive riding style, but I was wondering what some other sportster guys thought about the two.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:34 PM
MEGALifted
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The demo truck helped me pick the two models I own. I've riden them all and feel I have the best of both; touring & sport.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:30 PM
NYSportster
Cruiser

New Roc HD? I was there first thing in the morning but didn't have time for demo. Had to pick up some parts to get the bike running again.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:17 PM
TRacer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The demo truck was at OC HD in Irvine, CA on Saturday...I thought it interesting that the XR1200 only got taken out on the 30 minute circuit rides maybe twice while I was there, and I was the second one! Most of the guys were drooling over the orange CVO 'Glide. According to the one cute girl working the demo, they took the 48 out of the "fleet" at 2:30 PM as it was accumulating too much mileage!

I for one found the XR1200 to be a blast. I learned just how good the brakes were at the very first traffic light when the rear wheel came up ever so briefly (<Homer Simpson Voice> "DOH!! Not a 'normal' Sporty!") and once I toed the shifter downward without the clutch (klikBWAHHH!!) when I had a brainfart and lapsed into "foot clutch mode." My only gripes were that the XR's riding position put just a bit too much pressure on the base of my hands which could probably be addressed with some padded gloves (mine are cheap $10 gloves from Target), and that the bike sounds like a sewing machine with the stock mufflers, which I imagine the aftermarket has already taken care of. Incredibly, the XR's itty bitty seat is very comfortable!

Old 04-13-2010, 09:27 PM
SHTFIT
Road Captain

Originally Posted by NYSportster
New Roc HD? I was there first thing in the morning but didn't have time for demo. Had to pick up some parts to get the bike running again.
Yeah, New Roc. I'm only a few miles from there.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:47 PM
DMo
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Anyone know where I can find the demo truck schedule online?

Thanks.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:38 PM
SHTFIT
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DMo
Anyone know where I can find the demo truck schedule online?

Thanks.
Not sure there is a general schedule. Usually, the local dealers will advertise it online and/or with in-store flyers. At least that is the way I have always found out about them.

Quick Reply: Rides From The MoCo Demo Truck