Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comfortable Seat

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005 | 10:48 AM
rpoteau
|
Cruiser
Default Comfortable Seat

Hello all, newbie here. Just wanted your input on what to have a comfortable ride on my 1200C. I have heard Corbin makes great seats but they are pricey $$. And I have seen those gel insert that you add to the top but those look pretty tacky I think. Any ideas?? I can usually ride a few hours by myself without much fatigue but when my girlfriend rides she can't take much longer than an hour or so. I saw in another forum something about modding a seat to have the gel inserts in place of the foam? Would it be feasible to swap out the foam for gel in the stock seat? Thanks guys for the welcome and advice.

Old 06-05-2005 | 11:03 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Default RE: Comfortable Seat

You as the rider will probably get used to the seat, especially if you get an engine guard and install highway pegs. This allows you to shift your butt position which reduces fatigue. Sportys are not very comfortable two up bikes though so if you plan on riding that way a lot, you should go ahead and just upgrade seats for your passenger's sake.

Old 06-05-2005 | 12:54 PM
Greywolf
Cruiser

I upgraded to a Corbin worth the extra buck. There are a bunch of good after market seat companys out there. I first bought a jell pad for the wife but she still had some issues with it, she loves her Corbin.

Old 06-05-2005 | 04:06 PM
rpoteau
|
Cruiser

Has anyone had experience with a Mustang Seat? Are they superior to Corbin???

Old 06-05-2005 | 06:56 PM
famousperson
Novice

I have a Mustang that I love. I actually got it for passenger comfort since the stock seat's passenger's pad on the '03 XL1200 really sucked. Now that I have it, I am glad I have it for my own sake, too. I got it used but in new condition on eBay for about $150. A real deal.

Pete

Old 06-06-2005 | 12:59 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

I have had Corbin and Mustang both, and both are good seats. I think the Corbin has better materials(Real leather seat, etc.) and will last longer.

10 years ago I put a Corbin on my bike and a friend put on a Mustang. My Corbin was near perfect when I sold the bike several months ago, and his Mustang had a lot of the covering cracked, seams cracked, and padding showing through. Can't say for sure wheather it was a care issue or quality issue.

Regards,

Bill

Old 06-07-2005 | 07:56 PM
AZFlyingDiver
Tourer

Don't forget LePera - folks at the Sporty-only xlforum.net seem to think it's the sh**...

Old 06-07-2005 | 08:53 PM
DWSPhotography
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: AZFlyingDiver

Don't forget LePera - folks at the Sporty-only xlforum.net seem to think it's the sh**...
I'll let you know in a couple of days. I just ordered a LePera Bare Bone LT with the Gel insert.... hell, a 2/4 would almost be better than the stock seat.

Old 06-09-2005 | 02:53 PM
rpoteau
|
Cruiser

DWS,

Let us know what you think. I'm currently trying to sell some parts and what not so I can get a new seat on my sporty. Do you normally ride solo, with a passenger or both?

Old 06-09-2005 | 07:50 PM
DWSPhotography
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: rpoteau

DWS,

Let us know what you think. I'm currently trying to sell some parts and what not so I can get a new seat on my sporty. Do you normally ride solo, with a passenger or both?
Strictly solo. What parts are you trying to sell?

Quick Reply: Comfortable Seat