Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 sportster touring seat recomendation please

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:09 AM
RE AND CHERYL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 09 sportster touring seat recomendation please

THe wife just got a 2009 883L with the 3.3 gallon tank and she needs a better seat ASAP. The crapy seat it came with won't keep you comfortable long enough to get out of the neighborhood. It's like sitting on a brick. SHe wants some sort of touring solo seat but I'm getting mixed reviews on everything I see online.

She is 5'7" and about 165lbs.

thanx

Re'

Old 04-11-2010, 09:26 AM
badger1984
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I think this is too subjective to give an accurate answer. I think the original seat on my 06 883R was great but to "appease" my better half I got a Sundowner deep bucket seat which she loves but now I don't like. So when I ride solo, I switch back to the OEM and when we go 2up it's her seat.

Take her to the dealership and have her sit on a few models instead of trying to get peoples opinions who don't really matter in how she feels.

JM2C

Old 04-11-2010, 10:12 AM
bmna2004
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a company that you can send your stock seat into and they will use memory foam. There is a picture thread somewhere. I also have the Sundowner and I prefer it over the stock. My wife hasnt rode on it yet but just from sitting she says it is a huge improvement.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:36 AM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Sundowner is great 126,000 kms on mine.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:29 AM
E Smitty
Advanced

I recently purchased an Air Hawk seat pad. I couldn’t make it 10 minutes into a ride before I found myself moving around on the seat to find relief. I had several options, a local guy who does custom seats that are great but $450.00+, after market seats that are a shot in the dark or, customizing it myself with unknown results.

I started reading up on seat pads and decided to go that route. The Air Hawk was $170.00 (you can get them cheaper online) but I have never been so comfortable on a motorcycle. Are they for everyone? Hell no. You have to accept the fact that you have a pad on your seat and you feel slightly less connected to your bike but the only reason I would need to stop now is for gas or food.

There are a lot of opinions on this forum and this is another one.

E

Old 04-11-2010, 02:09 PM
JoeFriday77
Cruiser

Mustang vintage wide touring. Some of the best money I have spent on upgrades. You can ride as long as you like or need gas.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:46 PM
RE AND CHERYL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoeFriday77
Mustang vintage wide touring. Some of the best money I have spent on upgrades. You can ride as long as you like or need gas.
Just got back from a jaunt to the Harley dealer and the parts guy recomended just that. Wife ordered it on the spot. I probably could have gotten it 20% cheaper on line, but she trusts him and felt bad buying what he recomended from someone else. Besides....If this seat is as good as he says it is and she can go 100+ miles without wanting to stop, it's worth what ever I paid.

Re'

Old 04-11-2010, 05:56 PM
SauerKraut
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sundowner is alright its what we use for two-up.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:28 PM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The stock seat on the Sportster Low models (XL883L / XL1200L) has the least amount of padding of all of the Harley seats for a reason and the reason is to help get the rider as close to the ground as possible. I actually had the dealer exchange the stock seat from a XL1200C Custom for the stock seat on the XL1200L Low that I bought or I wouldn’t do the deal. Even though I now had the stock seat from the XL1200C Custom, I still bought a HD Sundowner seat to use on it when I needed to carry a passenger with me somewhere. When I was at Sturgis last year I got a great deal on an Air Hawk seat pad. The pad is much cheaper than a new seat and I can use it on any of the other motorcycles that I own if I choose to. All of the people that I have taken for a ride on the Sundowner seat have enjoyed it and I have used the Air Hawk seat pad on a few of my motorcycles and it is a great option to have to use when needed. The debate between the HD Sundowner seat and the Mustang Vintage seat being the most comfortable goes on every time anyone asks about a more comfortable seat over the stock seat. The people that bought the Sundowner seat have their personal opinion and the people that bought the Mustang Vintage seat have their opinion too. I don’t know how many people have bought BOTH seats and have the point of reference to say what they like or dislike between both seats but in the end it is still just their opinion and YOU have to make the decision as to what seat you are going to buy in the long run. I hope that your other half enjoys her new seat but just about ANYTHING is better than the stock Low seat. Good luck and ride safe out there!

Old 04-13-2010, 01:11 AM
JoeFriday77
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
Just got back from a jaunt to the Harley dealer and the parts guy recomended just that. Wife ordered it on the spot. I probably could have gotten it 20% cheaper on line, but she trusts him and felt bad buying what he recomended from someone else. Besides....If this seat is as good as he says it is and she can go 100+ miles without wanting to stop, it's worth what ever I paid.
I think she will be real happy with it. I was skeptical because when you look at them, they look pretty flat. But they sure do know how to make a good seat. I think I paid $349 for mine about a year ago.

The problem now will be getting her off the bike. 100+ miles will be no sweat.

Quick Reply: 09 sportster touring seat recomendation please