Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine light stays on while riding 1200S

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:46 AM
harleytwodogs
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine light stays on while riding 1200S

Hi Everyone I am new to all this so please bear with me as I need some help please with a problem I am having...can anyone help with a problem that has just occurred after getting my 1200s out for the first time after the winter , the only thing that has changed is that I fitted a new screaming eagle coil and spark plugs. What is happening is that after switching on the ignition and turning the kill switch to run the red engine light comes on for about 5 seconds or so and then goes off like it is supposed to do I Think , but when I go out on the road the engine light comes on and goes off now and again but mostly it stays on, is there anyone who has had or come across this problem and knows how to cure it .

Regards Mo

Last edited by harleytwodogs; 04-07-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:42 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not familar with the 1200s model. However, I would suggest looking up the diagnostic code from the odometer. There are instructions on doing this as a sticky on the top of the page.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:26 AM
harleytwodogs
4th Gear

Thanks for that.... but I have just been and had a look at that but it said that it will only apply to 04` 05` bikes and I forgot to say That Mine is a 1999 1200 sportster sport any other idea`s are really welcome. cheers, Mo

Old 04-08-2010, 04:50 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytwodogs
Thanks for that.... but I have just been and had a look at that but it said that it will only apply to 04` 05` bikes and I forgot to say That Mine is a 1999 1200 sportster sport any other idea`s are really welcome. cheers, Mo

These codes should cover you..........

This is taken from the 2000 HD Factory manual.

The reset switch is used to change the odometer display between mileage and trip values and to reset the trip odometer. It can also be used to identify the speedometer calibration and to enter the diagnostic mode, clear diagnostic codes and exit diagnostic mode.

The Diagnostic Mode is entered by turning the ignition from OFF to ON while holding the reset switch in. The normal power-up sequence will occur before entering the diagnostic mode. Diagnostic codes set during this power-up sequence will be stored as well.

Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)
P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module [EFI] / Ignition Control Module [Carbureted)
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer
The PN XXXX-XX represents a part number and should not be confused with a code.

Be sure no diagnostic codes are indicated before reset is held in for more than 5 seconds or diagnostic information will be lost.
When in diagnostic mode the odometer will display the first diagnostic code. When the trip switch is pressed again the next code will be shown. If the trip switch is pressed for more than 5 seconds at any time while in the diagnostic mode, the diagnostic code displayed will be erased.

There are 7 different diagnostic codes available.
d01 - Speed sensor power output shorted low
d02 - Speed sensor power output shorted high or open
d03 - Not Used
d04 - Not Used
d05 - Speed sensor return shorted high
d06 - Speed sensor return shorted low
d07 - Not Used
d08 - Speedometer power over voltage
d09 - Speed output shorted high
d10 - Speed output shorted low or open
CAL XX - Speedometer application calibration number:
14 = Domestic
15 = HDI

When in the diagnostic mode, all codes are displayed in sequence from d01 to d10.
As a code appears in the display (for instance d02), it will read "d02Set" if set or "d02CLr" if clear.
The diagnostic mode is exited either by turning ignition from ON to OFF to ON again without depressing the reset switch or if a speed signal greater than 5 MPH is detected.

Diagnostics cannot be performed if system voltage is less than 9 VDC or greater than 16 VDC. The only exception is d08 which is set when system voltage is greater than 16 VDC.
After all the diagnostic codes are displayed, the speedometer calibration number is displayed (CAL 14 for example).

Old 04-08-2010, 01:56 PM
harleytwodogs
4th Gear

Cheers for that info, I have done that and I get this code do25E and what looks like an up-sidedown F after the last E so don`t know what that means, but I have cleared the codes, I have not yet been out on the bike yet but I will see if the red engine light comes back on when I do ..... if it comes on again I will check if that same code comes back, if it do I am still no further forward as don`t know what that code do25E + the up-sidedown F means, anyway I will try it out over the next few days and get back with the results, Thanks Again for the help. Mo

Old 04-09-2010, 07:45 AM
harleytwodogs
4th Gear

well just been out on the bike and yes the engine light keeps coming on so got back home and there is no fault codes they all are clear, so I am stuck do anyone know what puts the red light on as there seems to be no faults and the bike runs a treat went right up to 110 mph with loads to go and she did not miss a beat,

So I am lost now ;-(

Cheers, Mo

Old 04-09-2010, 07:53 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Cheap try would be to change the oil filter. I had that same problem last fall. It fixed the problem.

Make sure to put some oil in the new filter before putting it on.

Last edited by xFreebirdx; 04-09-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:29 AM
RacingJake
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just buy a new oil pressure switch and replace the worn out one.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Krakanator
Tourer

Originally Posted by RacingJake
Just buy a new oil pressure switch and replace the worn out one.
This is what I was thinking, low oil pressure causing the light to come on when you start it, oil pressure builds and it turns off, then as you ride it turns on and off as low oil or bad switch shows fluctuation in pressure.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:51 AM
harleytwodogs
4th Gear
Angry

Thanks for the input, I have an oil pressuere Gauge fitted and as I am ridding at about 60 mph the oil pressure stays a constant 25 psi and even when it sitting on idle it is about 15 psi but the Engine light is not on then it only seems to come on while I am ridding, so it is intermitent...... and very frustrating,

Cheers, Mo

Also I am going to take the speedo off and check for any loose wire etc middle of next week or so and see if I can find out anything there.... but please keep any idea`s coming as they have been most helpful

Quick Reply: engine light stays on while riding 1200S