Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine light stays on while riding 1200S

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:12 PM
harleytwodogs
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi Guys

Well have checked out the wireing and all is fine did fined that the oil switch is Knacked but it has been like that for ages thats why I fitted the oil Gauge so did not bother with the oil light and never had a problem with the engine red light till now... I cant see it is anything to do with the screaming Eagle coil I have put on over the winter but hay I will put the old one back on just to see do any one know if it can be a problem with the speedo meter and if there is a way of checking that out

Old 04-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytwodogs
Hi Everyone I am new to all this so please bear with me as I need some help please with a problem I am having...can anyone help with a problem that has just occurred after getting my 1200s out for the first time after the winter , the only thing that has changed is that I fitted a new screaming eagle coil and spark plugs. What is happening is that after switching on the ignition and turning the kill switch to run the red engine light comes on for about 5 seconds or so and then goes off like it is supposed to do I Think , but when I go out on the road the engine light comes on and goes off now and again but mostly it stays on, is there anyone who has had or come across this problem and knows how to cure it .

Regards Mo
You could try putting your old coil and plugs back on to see if this eliminates the problem.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:32 AM
harleytwodogs
4th Gear

Cheers for that it was my next try...... looking back over some of the replys that I got I have found some people have said about the oil pressure switch that might make the engine light come on........ don`t know but I might have some people barking up the wrong tree.... but here go`s ;-) on the 1200s built into the speedo is a red light which say engine...... and not to be confused with the red low oil pressure light that comes on when you turn on the ign and go`s out when the engine starts, my light in the speedo comes on when you switch on the run switch and go`s off after about 5 seconds or so, mine do that and as soon as I got out on the road in about 300 yards it comes back on then it mostly says on, but as soon as I stop and switch off the bike and then I go through the process it do the same thing again...... as i said it don`t effect the running of the bike at all... just cant stand to see that dam red engine light on ;-)

Old 04-29-2010, 04:43 AM
harleytwodogs
4th Gear

just an update I went to my harley dealer yesterday and got a new oil pressure switch and yes the old one had gone wrong as the new one do put on my oil light now but still has not done anything to the red engine light there was nothing that the harley dealer could surgest what it was all he wanted me to do was book it in for them to look at and the are not just 5 minutes down the road..... but as they want £71.50 an hour and I cant afford to pay that still waiting for my heart opp so no money coming in so not good. all so there might be a problem with the speedometer its self and if so thats about £150 part No 76025-99A. but on the way back from there I done a few tests, sitting on 70 mph the light was on went up to 85 and it went off came back to 70 it came on, went down to 60 it went off came back to 70 it came back on.... i think you get the jist.... anyway went up to 110 without trying ;-0 and my other half on the back the light did not come on anywhere between 80 and 110 until I got back to 70 ......... well as they say I will keep going bike and Heart wise. Mo