Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is all my gas going?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:04 AM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by oldschoolmedic
You're probably going to get around 40 mpg.

Take a gallon of gas for a ride. Fill your tank full, and ride until she quits. Then you'll know how far you can go off of a tank.
Are you serious? Why suck all the crap in the bottom of the tank into the fuel filter?

How about this instead. Fill to the brim. Take a hunderd mile or so ride. Fill to the brim again. Divide how many gallons you put in the second time into how many miles you rode and figure out how many miles per gallon you get?

How about this crazy idea. Do it every time you fill up so you can monitor your MPG to see if there's any change in performance....CRAZY!!!!!

You know. If you routinely get 50 MPG and you have a 3.3 gallon tank, you can rest assured that soon after travelling 150 miles, you will be stranded...CRAZY Calculus/Trigonometry/Algerbra

Old 04-08-2010, 10:16 AM
HDSprtstr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rdam
Are you serious? Why suck all the crap in the bottom of the tank into the fuel filter?

How about this instead. Fill to the brim. Take a hunderd mile or so ride. Fill to the brim again. Divide how many gallons you put in the second time into how many miles you rode and figure out how many miles per gallon you get?

How about this crazy idea. Do it every time you fill up so you can monitor your MPG to see if there's any change in performance....CRAZY!!!!!

You know. If you routinely get 50 MPG and you have a 3.3 gallon tank, you can rest assured that soon after travelling 150 miles, you will be stranded...CRAZY Calculus/Trigonometry/Algerbra
+1

Also, the fuel pump uses the fuel around to cool it down. Why would you want to run the tank completly out of gas??

Old 04-08-2010, 10:33 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gman.az
I'm also having trouble telling when the tank is full as I'm gassing up. The nozzle seems to trip off when there is still quite a bit of capacity left.
Yep, you're not filling completely up. You have to pull the nozzle up & out a little to fill the tank all the way up to to opening that you put the nozzle through.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:40 AM
DanD
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in order to get the mileage claimed,you'd have to have NO side or headwind,gas with no alcohol in it,and riding it that way would be as much fun as straight and level flight.and ofc,no revving.Plus,the surface has to be just right,and perfectly level.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:57 AM
evanstock
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would average around 44-47mpg when my bike was an 883, so far, since the conversion, I don't see any difference. Sure as hell beats 10mpg I've been getting in my truck.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:12 PM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanD
in order to get the mileage claimed,you'd have to have NO side or headwind,gas with no alcohol in it,and riding it that way would be as much fun as straight and level flight.and ofc,no revving.Plus,the surface has to be just right,and perfectly level.
Unless you are talking about the 60mpg claim then you are dead wrong. I read through people talking of getting 45-55mpg and that is totally reasonable.

I don't baby my bike. When I go off the line I am gone. Prolly 3/4 throttle most of the time. Freeway I am running 75-90. I commute to work each day that I can. Since i rejetted I ride 80 miles and every time it takes 1.6 gallans. 50MPG day in day out. If I am in mostly city traffic then it drops to 45.

I don't get whats so hard about leaving the trip odometer up all the time and getting to know your bike. Each time do the math (most cell phones have a calculator feature) I know watching the odometer that when it hits 90 I switch to reserve at a good time (instead of having it stall in heavy traffic or in a corner) and gas up at 120. That way I don't have to worry about pushing.

MH