Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing turn signals- headlight not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 12:24 PM
USMCNewdog
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Flashing turn signals- headlight not working

Folks,

My buddy tore his Sportster apart this winter, and we were starting to put it back together and ran into a snag immediately.

We put the headlight back in, but it didnt work. I noticed when the key was turned the front LED turn signals flashed (I believe it was twice), so we installed the tail light LED's which also flashed with the front ones! The right back LED will not turn on has a running light, but works has a brake light and turn signal? The license plate LED is also not working.

This was the first thing we tried to put back on, and didnt get any further. The front and back end are off the bike along with the tank and seat, I dont see how this would effect the lights, I am assuming there is a bulb out or a short, but the flashing seemed like that should tell us something!

Any ideas? He told me the year of the bike, but I forgot, it is like a 1994 or 2004? Either way it is not EFI!

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-06-2010, 02:07 PM
longblack1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LED's are polarity sensitive. You have to have the the correct ground and positive wires correctly installed in order for them to work properly. 90% off all Harley's have the wires reversed because the regular light bulb will still work even with the wires switched. Check your wiring one more time.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:56 PM
USMCNewdog
Cruiser

If the wiring is reversed wouldnt the headlight still work? the only thing that is LED on his bike is the front and back turn signals, which have been on the bike for years and working fine.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

It's a long shot, but check ground connections [of everything]. Weird things start happening when somewhere is a poor/missing ground. In particular if electronics are involved.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:17 AM
USMCNewdog
Cruiser

I will let him know to double check his grounds, and I confirmed it is an 2004.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:42 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by USMCNewdog
Folks,

My buddy tore his Sportster apart this winter, and we were starting to put it back together and ran into a snag immediately.

We put the headlight back in, but it didnt work. I noticed when the key was turned the front LED turn signals flashed (I believe it was twice), so we installed the tail light LED's which also flashed with the front ones! The right back LED will not turn on has a running light, but works has a brake light and turn signal? The license plate LED is also not working.

This was the first thing we tried to put back on, and didnt get any further. The front and back end are off the bike along with the tank and seat, I dont see how this would effect the lights, I am assuming there is a bulb out or a short, but the flashing seemed like that should tell us something!

Any ideas? He told me the year of the bike, but I forgot, it is like a 1994 or 2004? Either way it is not EFI!

Thanks in advance!
Do you have a volt meter and a Service Manual? The electrical schematics are in the back of the Service Manual. Forget the LED stuff which requires load equalizers and start with the most simple thing, the headlight. Only 3 wires, ground, hot for low beam and hot for high beam. When you get it working, then move on to the rest.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:42 AM
USMCNewdog
Cruiser

No service manual here, but I have considered getting one. Any ideas for a discounted source for one?

Also you mention the load equalizer, and chance something like that could be the problem?

thanks again!

Old 04-07-2010, 12:46 PM
cHarley
Club Member

No service manual here, but I have considered getting one. Any ideas for a discounted source for one?

Also you mention the load equalizer, and chance something like that could be the problem?

thanks again!

PM sent.

And Yes, load equalizers could be the problem with the signals, but not the headlight. Get it working first.

You can't tear down a bike and expect to put it back together again and have it work, if you don't have a Service Manual.

Last edited by cHarley; 04-07-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:48 PM
USMCNewdog
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cHarley
PM sent.

And Yes, load equalizers could be the problem with the signals, but not the headlight. Get it working first.

You can't tear down a bike and expect to put it back together again and have it work, if you don't have a Service Manual.

I personally wouldn't tear my bike down because I am not so mechanically inclined, but I already bought the manual at the link you gave for my bike!

He told me he took the bulb to a 12 volt battery with nothing, so we are thinking the headlight is bad after being removed from the bike. Once he gets that going I will give him the bad news about the LED'S!

Old 04-07-2010, 03:39 PM
cHarley
Club Member

I personally wouldn't tear my bike down because I am not so mechanically inclined, but I already bought the manual at the link you gave for my bike!

He told me he took the bulb to a 12 volt battery with nothing, so we are thinking the headlight is bad after being removed from the bike. Once he gets that going I will give him the bad news about the LED'S!
The LED's aren't necessarily bad news, it's just that with problems like this you have to take it one step at a time, starting with the easy (basic) stuff first.

Quick Reply: Flashing turn signals- headlight not working