Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cigarette Lighter

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010 | 05:47 PM
oldncrzy
Road Master

huh, whazzat? sorry, I was lightin my smoke between cell calls while passing that 18 wheeler. Oh yeah and I had an itch in the weirdest place....

Old 04-06-2010 | 07:47 PM
midnight2005
Banned

Originally Posted by cHarley
Obviously you're just a bar hopper and/or an anti-smoker.

Try running a 10 hour day on the interstate stopping only for fuel every 180 miles, then you'll learn the tricks of having an energy bar within reach, a water bottle on the handlebars, and yes the ability to light a smoke.

None of which distracts the mind like a cell conversation.

Ok, I'm just a poser but i do believe I have logged a few miles on 2 wheels in my life. I do not smoke and do not agree with these anti-smoking laws. But it is things like that and smokers in the car with small children with no reguard with anybody else that make me realize that we need laws like that.

Old 04-06-2010 | 08:01 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by midnight2005
Ok, I'm just a poser but i do believe I have logged a few miles on 2 wheels in my life. I do not smoke and do not agree with these anti-smoking laws. But it is things like that and smokers in the car with small children with no reguard with anybody else that make me realize that we need laws like that.
That rational is a bit of a stretch when we're talking about being all by oneself in the open air on 2 wheels, isn't it?

Yep, let's legislate away yet another freedom.

Old 04-07-2010 | 07:42 AM
ecaldwell78
|
Tourer

Where I live and the places I ride mostly do not have gas stops (or any stops really) for maybe 150-190 miles and it just is not practical to try to find a place to stop just to have a smoke. And yes I have a small child and one on the way but I have never smoked around my child or wife or even in my own house for that matter. It just wouldn't be fair or safe for me to impose my second hand smoke on them just like it wouldn't be fair to make my riding buddies (none of them smoke) stop just so I can light a smoke. So really, I'm spending my own money so as not to inconvenience my riding buddies. I'm sure it would bother a group of non-smokers to have to make an unplanned stop so the ONE smoker in the group could light up.
I'm not really sure why I am even justifying this to anyone. If it's not your thing, then that's all good. It is my thing, so it's also all good.
Ride safe everyone!

Evan

Old 04-07-2010 | 07:53 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member

Hey man, installing a cig lighter on your bike is the easiest thing in the world. It took me about 5 minutes tops and that was running the lines and everything. I bought the whole kit and battery clips at Radio Shack for about $11.

I don't use mine as a lighter but plug my Garmin into it. You could also plug in your heating gloves and stuff into it as well.

Here's a pic before I zip tied everything up nice and neat:

Old 04-07-2010 | 08:02 AM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by ecaldwell78
Where I live and the places I ride mostly do not have gas stops (or any stops really) for maybe 150-190 miles and it just is not practical to try to find a place to stop just to have a smoke. And yes I have a small child and one on the way but I have never smoked around my child or wife or even in my own house for that matter. It just wouldn't be fair or safe for me to impose my second hand smoke on them just like it wouldn't be fair to make my riding buddies (none of them smoke) stop just so I can light a smoke. So really, I'm spending my own money so as not to inconvenience my riding buddies. I'm sure it would bother a group of non-smokers to have to make an unplanned stop so the ONE smoker in the group could light up.
I'm not really sure why I am even justifying this to anyone. If it's not your thing, then that's all good. It is my thing, so it's also all good.
Ride safe everyone!

Evan
Very well said and exactly my feelings.

Old 04-07-2010 | 08:27 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member

I smoke while rideing but I usually fire one up at a light or stop sign. Nobody else in my group smokes either and nobody gives me any grief about it. I'm installing a lighter on in my fairing when I finish the paint and finally get it installed, because sometimes, I just don't feel like stopping just to light up.
The thing that makes me wonder is, all the anti-smoking experts that will sit in traffic behind a bus, that puts out more pollution than any 20 smokers, and still gripe about one cigarette. Those "second hand" bus fumes must be really good for you because they aren't getting regulated away.

Old 04-07-2010 | 03:13 PM
Dragan
Tourer

Back to the original question...you can go cheap with an auto parts store variety, or expensive with a chromed up water resistant Kurryakyn. Both work, ones prettier

Old 04-07-2010 | 05:47 PM
Booey424
Grand HDF Member

why don't you just reach down and light it off the pipes?

Old 04-07-2010 | 06:08 PM
96black&blue
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ecaldwell78
I did a search first but cannot find any info on adding a cigarette lighter to my sporty. I think I remember someone doing it on here. Anyways, I don't want it to power anything, so a weatherproof 12V is out. I simply want it to light cigarettes as intended. Has anyone done this, and if so, then where did you find a weatherproof cig lighter and where/how did you install it?

Thanks,

Evan
not a sporty but i made this bracket and went to the motor mounts,run wire with an in line fuse under the tank straight to the battery.easy access,works like a charm,perfect for those backroad country cruising

Attached Thumbnails Cigarette Lighter-149.jpg   Cigarette Lighter-144.jpg  

Quick Reply: Cigarette Lighter