Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! My bike SHUTDOWN While at a light!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:27 AM
blacknight85
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP!! My bike SHUTDOWN While at a light!!

What’s up guys,

Well the title says it all. I went riding around town with some friends on Sat (restaurant, bar, parts store and a quick hard sprint on the freeway) and once we were rapping it up we ran it pretty hard on the freeway (like 70-80 mph)for like ten minutes to make it to the parts store before they closed. Here’s where my problem started, after exiting the freeway we were at a light for about 2 min. when Maximus (My Bike) shut down on me, my friend said he saw a little smoke come from the exhaust, also the heat from the rocker box, engine or whatever made my leg feel like it was on fire. So after a few min. of sitting on the side of the road to let him cool down we made it to our destination, picked up my parts then left, then it shut down again at the light (but it started right back) then on the freeway, I hit 50mph then it shut down, needless to say after we made it to a restaurant to stop and eat for about 45min to let him cool down some more I made it all the way home with no problem, didn’t go over 60 though. Can anyone give any advice on what it might have been???? Thanks in advance Guys your advice is greatly appreciated.

Here’s some info that might help
Bike: 09’ Nightster
Mods: SE Heavy Breather, SIK Pipes, PC V
Temp: 86 degrees

Old 04-05-2010, 10:29 AM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Did you check your oil level?

Old 04-05-2010, 10:34 AM
blacknight85
Cruiser

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
Did you check your oil level?
Yeah after the smoke stop coming out (it was hot) the oil level looked good. I just had it sevicede at the stealership on the 11th of march it taht makes any difference.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:36 AM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Contact the service dept. Give them all the details. Something is not right.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:05 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
Contact the service dept. Give them all the details. Something is not right.
What ^^^ he said....But I'd leave out the parts about "ran it pretty hard on the freeway (like 70-80 mph) for like ten minutes" and refering to your bike as a third party or "Maximus"......It's just my ....Do it if you feel like you want the Service people to look at you and think your .

Old 04-05-2010, 11:20 AM
blacknight85
Cruiser

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
What ^^^ he said....But I'd leave out the parts about "ran it pretty hard on the freeway (like 70-80 mph) for like ten minutes" and refering to your bike as a third party or "Maximus"......It's just my ....Do it if you feel like you want the Service people to look at you and think your .
Trust me never intended on letting them know the whole story...and as far as the name just did it on Sat. for kicks after the bike shutdown... my buddy was joking and said its bad karma if you don't name it...I really don't go around and talk t people refering to your bike as a third party or "Maximus"

Old 04-05-2010, 11:35 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

I WOULD tell them it happened after running it down the freeway at 80 mph for 10 minutes, that's an important piece of info. Cruising at 80mph is not abusing the bike, hell I do that for hours on end on road trips. Does your Owners Manual say you can't go over 70 mph?

Old 04-05-2010, 11:37 AM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad Tune!!

Old 04-05-2010, 11:39 AM
blacknight85
Cruiser

cHarley it doesn't say anything like that at all...

Do you guys think it overheated???

Old 04-05-2010, 11:42 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
I WOULD tell them it happened after running it down the freeway at 80 mph for 10 minutes, that's an important piece of info. Cruising at 80mph is not abusing the bike, hell I do that for hours on end on road trips. Does your Owners Manual say you can't go over 70 mph?
I wasn't trying to tell him to omit the 70-80 mph for ten minutes, but more of the "running it hard" part because that isn't running it hard at all.

Quick Reply: HELP!! My bike SHUTDOWN While at a light!!