Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! My bike SHUTDOWN While at a light!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpitch
now is it 70-80 or 95-100?

Not trying to be a dick..but im not sure that speed has anything to do with it.....

it may be a bad tune but it sounds like theres a bigger issue here. just cuz it runs rich or lean doesnt mean its gonna shut down...at any speed.

if it was a bad map i think it'd run shitty all the time..not just when you take it past 70mph for a few minutes. i think it may be time to take MAXIMUS to a mechanic.
+++1 Exactly where my next response was going. Check to see if you have any fault codes logged.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:51 AM
blacknight85
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackcherry Low
+++1 Exactly where my next response was going. Check to see if you have any fault codes logged.
I was talking to my friend a few weeks ago and we were debating the speed that we were going I looked at my speedo once and I was at 80 but he reminded me of somthing that made me relized that we were infact doing at least 95-100. As for the the shutting down I am not a mechanic by any means which is why I took it to the dealer right after it happened....They ran all the electricals (In case it was a short) and did their standard check or whaever it was they did and couldn't find anything that was wrong and suggested that it could be a bad tune. As I stated I don't know for sure if the DYNO (Custom Map for MY set up) would help but I do think that it played a big role. Would overheating have somthing to do with the fule ratio?

Old 05-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Cpitch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who did your tune and mods? if the dealer did them or a certified harley mechanic your warranty is not voided and they need to fix it. as far as their "standard" check is concerned, i think they just got lazy and didnt run a full diagnostic on it. Id keep taking it back and bitching at them till they fixed the problem. Its a 2009...its under warranty

Old 05-05-2010, 12:12 PM
blacknight85
Cruiser

who did your tune and mods? if the dealer did them or a certified harley mechanic your warranty is not voided and they need to fix it. as far as their "standard" check is concerned, i think they just got lazy and didnt run a full diagnostic on it. Id keep taking it back and bitching at them till they fixed the problem. Its a 2009...its under warranty
I did the mods (Exhaust and breather and PCV) the tune I just used the one closest to my set up which is why I need to get a custom map. To be honest I really haven't rode it good since I got it back so once I get back from the dealer from another issue (Fuel light sensor was never installed) I will get on it again....And trust me they probaly hate me there as much as I am up there watching over there shoulder.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer

Originally Posted by blacknight85
I was talking to my friend a few weeks ago and we were debating the speed that we were going I looked at my speedo once and I was at 80 but he reminded me of somthing that made me relized that we were infact doing at least 95-100. As for the the shutting down I am not a mechanic by any means which is why I took it to the dealer right after it happened....They ran all the electricals (In case it was a short) and did their standard check or whaever it was they did and couldn't find anything that was wrong and suggested that it could be a bad tune. As I stated I don't know for sure if the DYNO (Custom Map for MY set up) would help but I do think that it played a big role. Would overheating have somthing to do with the fule ratio?
When you watch a bike that is in the burn out pit, with no fan for cooling and it is screaming away in 4th or 5th gear, pretty soon it starts popping and bucking, that's overheating. I doubt that you overheated your engine from riding it and like cpitch said if you had a really bad tune that was causing this problem of shutting down and alleged overheat, it would most likely be running like crap almost all the time.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:29 PM
blacknight85
Cruiser

For all I know it has been running like crap I only had this set up for about two months and the only ridding I did was a 100-150 mile ride at posted speeds and this one and few around town. But I will be getting the custom map for the fuel ratio and once I ride it for awhile again I will be taking it to the dealer to see if they can break it down look at it.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer

So does it run like crap almost all of the time?

Old 05-06-2010, 08:50 AM
blacknight85
Cruiser

I guess it depends on what running like crap intales....I mean i get from point a to b just fine but my gas millage sucks.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Cpitch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sputtering.."put putting"...back firing...hesitating during acceleration...abnormally slow?

all of this is indicative of a bad tune...if none of this is going on...i dont think its ur tune...but i'm no mechanic...just speaking on past experience

Old 05-06-2010, 04:31 PM
blacknight85
Cruiser

sputtering.."put putting"...back firing...hesitating during acceleration...abnormally slow?

all of this is indicative of a bad tune...if none of this is going on...i dont think its ur tune...but i'm no mechanic...just speaking on past experience
This is exactly what I have which is why I was saying that I needed a custom map/DYNO.