Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! My bike SHUTDOWN While at a light!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 03:19 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,635 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by blacknight85
I be leive it sputtered then shut off the first time at the light....The other time on the freeway it made a weird noise then died....

I'm starting to thing that it probably has somthing to do with the PC V since there is no map specific to my set up??
Very likely. When you say you went with "the closest one" what exactly do you mean by that. Your AC and pipes will certainly open up the airflow significantly for you engine, therefore requiring more fuel to be dumped in there as well. If you don't, you will run very lean. That explains the heat, and very likely the stalling as well.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:31 PM
blacknight85
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrenthus
Very likely. When you say you went with "the closest one" what exactly do you mean by that. Your AC and pipes will certainly open up the airflow significantly for you engine, therefore requiring more fuel to be dumped in there as well. If you don't, you will run very lean. That explains the heat, and very likely the stalling as well.
I went with what the guy told me has been working for him and some of his customers ( the exhaust was made by a independent dealer, so his exhaust isn’t a well known name brand) so the map was not listed he suggested the map that he gave me because of what him and his customers have been using…..What confuses me though we went on a big ride two weeks ago and everything was fine????

Old 04-05-2010, 03:50 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

I went with what the guy told me has been working for him and some of his customers ( the exhaust was made by a independent dealer, so his exhaust isn’t a well known name brand) so the map was not listed he suggested the map that he gave me because of what him and his customers have been using…..What confuses me though we went on a big ride two weeks ago and everything was fine????
The short & sweet is, if you don't put it on a dyno and get an actual A/F measurement, you don't have a clue how rich or lean your running.

If you don't at least have an oil temp gauge, you don't know how hot you're running.

Your problem could be heat, electrical, fuel mixture, or a combination of the above. No one can solve that for you on a forum without some factual data.

You need to get some real numbers.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:04 PM
glis674
Stage III

Let me know how you make out , im riding a 07 duece , vance and hines pipes .. big sucker air cleaner and a PCIII ... had it dyno'd and bike runs sweet but riding into Conneticut i had the exact same thing happen to me minus the black smoke ..ive ridin the thing harder and on hotter days than yesterday so i dont think its a over heating issue and it started and ran just fine after but did stall on me 3 times at lights .Thnx for any help
blacknight85

Old 04-05-2010, 04:06 PM
blacknight85
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cHarley
The short & sweet is, if you don't put it on a dyno and get an actual A/F measurement, you don't have a clue how rich or lean your running.

If you don't at least have an oil temp gauge, you don't know how hot you're running.

Your problem could be heat, electrical, fuel mixture, or a combination of the above. No one can solve that for you on a forum without some factual data.

You need to get some real numbers.
This I know….I was just tryin to get ideas of what it could be or to see if anyone has had an issue similar in the past that hasn’t shared yet (Searched the forum). I do plan on taking it in to the shop but all of the places that I want to take it to are all closed until tomorrow….So basically I was just throwin it out there to get some feedback until I get the answers soon….

Old 04-05-2010, 04:40 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I WOULD tell them it happened after running it down the freeway at 80 mph for 10 minutes, that's an important piece of info. Cruising at 80mph is not abusing the bike, hell I do that for hours on end on road trips. Does your Owners Manual say you can't go over 70 mph?
EXACTLY!! I've ran my bike at 80 mph for 600 mile in a day. That was working the 883 engine pretty good, but it was more than ready for the task.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:02 PM
ranalli7777
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This same thing happened to me twice shortly after installing the pcv/autotune on my sportster... Riding down the freeway, exit and come to a stop and the bike sputtered then shut off. I'm not sure about the smoke thing since no one was riding with me. Anyway, I checked all of the connections of the pcv/autotune and made sure nothing was loose. I've never had a problem since. Hope you get this solved.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:13 PM
soup
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What’s up guys,

Well the title says it all. I went riding around town with some friends on Sat (restaurant, bar, parts store and a quick hard sprint on the freeway) and once we were rapping it up we ran it pretty hard on the freeway (like 70-80 mph)for like ten minutes to make it to the parts store before they closed. Here’s where my problem started, after exiting the freeway we were at a light for about 2 min. when Maximus (My Bike) shut down on me, my friend said he saw a little smoke come from the exhaust, also the heat from the rocker box, engine or whatever made my leg feel like it was on fire. So after a few min. of sitting on the side of the road to let him cool down we made it to our destination, picked up my parts then left, then it shut down again at the light (but it started right back) then on the freeway, I hit 50mph then it shut down, needless to say after we made it to a restaurant to stop and eat for about 45min to let him cool down some more I made it all the way home with no problem, didn’t go over 60 though. Can anyone give any advice on what it might have been???? Thanks in advance Guys your advice is greatly appreciated.

Here’s some info that might help
Bike: 09’ Nightster
Mods: SE Heavy Breather, SIK Pipes, PC V
Temp: 86 degrees
Man, Not for nothing, but this sounds almost excatly like my problems with Medusa. What you are going through is a pretty accurate description of the same problems I had. Get to a dealer sooner rather than later. After 6 months of being in the shop I finally got my ride back. Had to replace the entire bottom and plus the pistons and lifters, along with new jugs. The culprit???? Depends on who you are talking to. One of the issues? Collapsed oil lines.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:43 PM
blacknight85
Cruiser

Thanks guys for all the feedback.....this is what i was lookin for to see if anyon has had the problem before....

glis674 once I get the problem solved i'll post what it was and what the solution was...

Soup, Thanks for the input, I hope its not that serious....but if it is i'll get to the bottom of it one way or another...I don't want to blow it off then it comes back and bites me in the A$$...

Old 04-05-2010, 07:45 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know that that's on the LOW side on normal? But, yes in cooler weather below 180 happens. 180 - 220 is the ideal range with 240 being about tops. Temps above 180 are required to burn off moisture (condensation) that collects in the oil system, and water in the oil is not a good thing.
Yea I did Know this. it was a very cool day and oil was just changed. Don't really think that would really have any thing to do with it. after i got home i checked the oil again. wasn't cloudy like it had water in it. I'm also running the 20/50 syn from mobile1.

Quick Reply: HELP!! My bike SHUTDOWN While at a light!!