Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! My bike SHUTDOWN While at a light!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 11:47 AM
blacknight85
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arealinvestor
Bad Tune!!
The maps on the PC V don't really match my set up so I went with the closest one until I get it dyno'd...

Old 04-05-2010, 11:51 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by blacknight85
Trust me never intended on letting them know the whole story...and as far as the name just did it on Sat. for kicks after the bike shutdown... my buddy was joking and said its bad karma if you don't name it...I really don't go around and talk t people refering to your bike as a third party or "Maximus"
My bike has a name and she will bitch slap you if you call her something else. If that makes me crazy I don't care.
I like the name of your bike.
Good luck at the dealership.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:53 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

cHarley it doesn't say anything like that at all...

Do you guys think it overheated???
Yea, I know it doesn't, just making the point that running it at 80, isn't abusing it.

Only you can tell us if it overheated, we weren't there. If it did overheat, I'd want to find out why. It's just the beginning of Spring, if it's overheating now, what's going to happen come July & August?

If you think it may be a heat issue, buy the HD analog oil temperature dipstick, then you'll be able to put a number on what Hot is, it's about $45.00 at the stealer.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:58 AM
blacknight85
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lizdc
My bike has a name and she will bitch slap you if you call her something else. If that makes me crazy I don't care.
I like the name of your bike.
Good luck at the dealership.
Thanks lizdc,

I just thought it was funny when the first thing my buddy said after we pulled over was "Did you name the bike yet.." so after that I did lol...

Old 04-05-2010, 12:03 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might not be a bad idea to by one of those oil temp gages. I just put one in mine and found out after riding 5 hours on friday it was running a 175.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:06 PM
blacknight85
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cHarley
Yea, I know it doesn't, just making the point that running it at 80, isn't abusing it.

Only you can tell us if it overheated...

If you think it may be a heat issue, buy the HD analog oil temperature dipstick, then you'll be able to put a number on what Hot is, it's about $45.00 at the stealer.
All I know is that it felt like my pants caught fire for a second while at the light thats about it....I don't really know what to look for since this is the first bike I really started tampering with....use to ride sporbikes but i let the stealer do the work...

To be honest this was the first thing that came to mind when I poped the cap off the oil tank and it was smoking.....

Last edited by blacknight85; 04-05-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:09 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by crazytrain69
It might not be a bad idea to by one of those oil temp gages. I just put one in mine and found out after riding 5 hours on friday it was running a 175.
Do you know that that's on the LOW side on normal? But, yes in cooler weather below 180 happens. 180 - 220 is the ideal range with 240 being about tops. Temps above 180 are required to burn off moisture (condensation) that collects in the oil system, and water in the oil is not a good thing.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:08 PM
DocHoliday06
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks lizdc,

I just thought it was funny when the first thing my buddy said after we pulled over was "Did you name the bike yet.." so after that I did lol...
SEE I told you!!! After you named it, did you not have a nice ride home after? My bikes name is MONA b/c she moans her name used to be naomi but ol lady said that was stupid.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:56 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,635 Likes on 678 Posts

What was the shutdown like? Did the bike sputter at all? Or just shut down? If it sputtered a bit, then died, look at your fuel. Bad tune, low fuel etc.

If it just died like you shut it off, look at electrical. A short somewhere, bad kill switch, ignition, even coils and plug wires are all suspect.

Do newer HDs kill the engine if it gets too hot?

I also recommend getting an oil temp guage.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:59 PM
blacknight85
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cbrenthus
What was the shutdown like? Did the bike sputter at all? Or just shut down? If it sputtered a bit, then died, look at your fuel. Bad tune, low fuel etc.

If it just died like you shut it off, look at electrical. A short somewhere, bad kill switch, ignition, even coils and plug wires are all suspect.

Do newer HDs kill the engine if it gets too hot?

I also recommend getting an oil temp guage.
I be leive it sputtered then shut off the first time at the light....The other time on the freeway it made a weird noise then died....

I'm starting to thing that it probably has somthing to do with the PC V since there is no map specific to my set up??

Quick Reply: HELP!! My bike SHUTDOWN While at a light!!