Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Mount License plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:00 PM
PaulWall725
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Mount License plate

Been thinking about putting one on my sporty, but without a light. Anybody else do this and have any trouble with cops at night, or passing inspection?

Old 03-29-2010, 06:22 PM
oldschoolmedic
Cruiser

Taillight illuminates mine. No difficulty with the law even in this speed trap town I live in.

I have been told a vertical mount would cause them to be a little less lenient.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:24 PM
low_wgn
Cruiser

i am looking at doing this as well but run a light on mine, anyone know of a good place to get one with out breaking the bank?

Old 03-30-2010, 01:22 PM
jhowle6
Novice

Well i know what you guys should do. I did this myself. I have an 06 XL 1200c and I wanted the side mount plate and I was told it has to be horizontal and lighted in most states so here is what I did. I bought the side mount for an 08 nightster and the wire guide for the opposite side of the wheel. I removed from my rear fender the tail light and liscence plat bracket which left a really big square hole and 3 round holes in the shape of a tringle with the top point facing forward. I took my fender to a friend and he welded a plate in the fender to fill the square whole and welded shut the 2 back screws hole for liscence plate bracket. The top whole has to be left open because there is a steel fender support under the fender that attachs to that whole.

When i got my fender back from being fixed and painted i had to buy longer fender strut bolts from the 08 nightster as well as the bolts inside the rear turn signals to compensate for the added thickness of the liscence plate mount and the wire guide.

The nightster has a 3 wire system in the rear turn signals and mine only has 2 to fix that what I did was buy the RUN/STOP/TURN adapter for the rear lights and sperated pins from the plug on the out going end of the adpater. There were six wires to which i needed 4 of them. I needed the brown, the blue, the purple and the black. Brown for right, purple for left and the blue for the run light inside the tail light and the black obviously being the ground.

The turn signals and the liscence plate light all had the same male plug on them so I got 3 female plugs and I put the in pin 1 of each femal connector one of the colored wires and I took the black and inserted it into PIN 2 of the plug with the blue wire and made 2 black wires loops to jump to pin 2 of the other connectors. The remaining 2 wire i simply bent them backwards over the harness and heat shrunk them down out of place.

I did this so my rear lights were a simple plug in araingement and assembled the parts back onto the bike. When it was all said and done my rear turn signals function as RUN/STOP/TURN lights and the liscence plate light is powered by the what used to be the wire feeding the run light in the tail light. The end result is that my turn signals and head light are brighter.

If you decide to try this please note that a small modification will be required to the nightster side mount. Basically grinding out a small notch in the top pivot point to allow clearance for the rear fender but thats all. In that one whole I left open that was for the fender support, I attached it with a nice chrome acorn nut and screws. The whole mod outside of the new paint job cost less then 200 bucks and all the parts came from harley.

Last edited by jhowle6; 03-30-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:28 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

got the road6 customs on mine (without the light). i'm in philly and i guess it's different state by state. we are allowed to run vertical plates but they do need a light at night. thinking about taking the wiring and light off the one that came with my bike and fenagling something. even though most of my riding takes place in the day, i still need to come up with something. good luck.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:32 PM
jhowle6
Novice

do like i did. the nightster side mount has the light built in.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:05 PM
lbfam730
Cruiser

Originally Posted by low_wgn
i am looking at doing this as well but run a light on mine, anyone know of a good place to get one with out breaking the bank?
noschoolchoppers.com great quality, individually hand made in USA

i just used a pipe clamp from home depot that was covered with rubber. just sawed it to make it smaller and made some holes and bolted it on.

Last edited by lbfam730; 03-30-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:58 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jhowle6
do like i did. the nightster side mount has the light built in.
yeah it also has the gay fvckin plastic crap that fills in the space between the rear wheel and the fender which i've been wanting to do away with since i bought the bike. i'll figure something out.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:23 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I made my own side mount and then installed a high output LED spot light in the turn signal housing.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:53 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
I made my own side mount and then installed a high output LED spot light in the turn signal housing.

that's fvckin slick freebird. any more pics of that setup or can you offer a bit more insight as to where you got the light, how you mounted it, holes to be drilled etc.....

Quick Reply: Side Mount License plate