Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seat and bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Good Time Gang
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seat and bars

i posted in the general chat yesterday about getting to know my bike. there were a few suggestions and i thought this would be the best place to follow up. I am 6'2" 220lb. riding my 94 xlh is only comfy for so long. it has the forward controls, but i cant stretch out unless i sit on the back/passenger pad. at that point the bars become even more uncomfortable. what type of mini apes and seat would move me back a few inches and help me stretch out. i am new to all of this, and this is my first bike, so feel free to speak very loud and slowly

Old 03-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Stefan
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Seats to move you back are over $200 if you can find a comfy one.
Do you have forward foot controls? If you just want to stretch now & again & don't need the controls then highway pegs may help.
Rotating your bars may help your position. Apes may require $$$ for brake, cluth & throtle cables along with $70 for the bars. You can find risers that will move your current bars back, if the width and hand angle of the current bars is not a problem, they may still need new control cables.
Spending $$$ for suspension can help the ride, if you are not more concerned about looks.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Good Time Gang
Tourer

has forward controls on it already. just feel like tight being all jammed up. test road a WG the other day, that felt much better. the bars were higher and there seemed to be more leg room.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:17 PM
Stefan
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Good Time Gang
has forward controls on it already. just feel like tight being all jammed up. test road a WG the other day, that felt much better. the bars were higher and there seemed to be more leg room.
At 5'9" I can rest my boots (tendons) on the foward controls. On the WG I'm resting my heels. I think it feels like a 2" difference in leg room. The sportster does have a short wheel base, good for turns, not so good for over 6' comfort.
I have not seen any kits to extend the foot controls out further. I have also not seen any seats that would sit the driver further back for a sportster, they have them for the big twins, I have not looked much tho.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:20 PM
Dragan
Tourer

There are a couple of ways of extending the forward controls; there are also several different engine guards or highway bars that give you much more legroom. I have a Kuryakyn adjustable highway bar on my sportster that lets me stretch out my legs completely, and I have a 34in. inseam.
There are also several different seats that will move you back; Saddleman, sundowner, Mustang all make them, as well as a few other companies.
Bars and risers can get expensive, but they don't have to be if you are able to do some pretty basic work yourself ( i.e. running cables)
I'm 6 ft. tall, with long legs. The factory bars are O.K. for me...they may get changed at some point. The highway bar gives me a stretched out position, and I have a Sundowner seat ( A lot of two-up riding) that moves me back and up about an inch each way. Shoot me a PM...I can give you some part #'s, costs and photos if you like