Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stage one filter in a stock cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 10:22 AM
erikajane
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stage one filter in a stock cover

can anyone tell me what options I have for a stage one air filter that will fit into a stock air cleaner cover. it's for a 09 1200C sportster.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:29 AM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well you can go with a Screamin Eagle stage 1, the K&N filter kit, the NRHS Hurricane Flow, and I'm pretty sure the Arlen Ness Big Sucker can as well.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:30 AM
MechsHands
Road Captain

You can either use a kn filter inside it or go the route most of us have and put the NRHS hurricane flow in. http://www.nrhsperformance.com/partshurricaneflow.shtml

The hurricane flow is what I have installed. I did the 2 inch centered model. It is a great kit and the company provides a top notch product and AWESOME customer service. This is why I went with them and I could not be happier. Go with the breather kit and bracket and go to autozone and get and extra length of hose.

Hope it helps.

MH

Last edited by MechsHands; 03-25-2010 at 11:12 AM. Reason: saw the year of the bike nad edited some stuff
Old 03-25-2010, 10:35 AM
fox4
Road Master

Originally Posted by MechsHands
You can either use a kn filter inside it or go the route most of us have and put the NRHS hurricane flow in. http://www.nrhsperformance.com/partshurricaneflow.shtml

The hurricane flow is what I have installed. I did the 2 inch centered model. It is a great kit and the company provides a top notch product and AWESOME customer service. This is why I went with them and I could not be happier. Go with the breather kit and bracket and go to autozone and get and extra length of hose.

You will need to rejet and here is some info on that.

http://www.harley-performance.com/ha...arburetor.html

http://www.harley-performance.com/ha...r-jetting.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...rejetting.html

Hope it helps.

MH
Those links are worthless to the OP as he does not have a carburetor, he has an 09 which is fuel injected. You will need to get the ECM remaped or get a fuel management device such as the Power Commander, Fuelpak, or Screamin Eagle Super Tuner

Old 03-25-2010, 10:58 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by erikajane
can anyone tell me what options I have for a stage one air filter that will fit into a stock air cleaner cover. it's for a 09 1200C sportster.
Are you actually referring to it fitting under the stock cover, or putting it in the stock can assembly?

It it's just reusing the stock cover, then hands down, the NRHS Hurricane Flow.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:10 AM
erikajane
Stage IV

Thankyou for your replys!
l am new to this so l appreciate your advice.
Here's what lm doing.
V.H. Big Radius pipes, V.H. fuel pack and a new fuel filter, l know the V.H. fuel filter to match this set up for my bike but l dont like the round shape, l would really like to keep my stock chrome cover,
P.S.
female rider.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:10 AM
MechsHands
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fox4
Those links are worthless to the OP as he does not have a carburetor, he has an 09 which is fuel injected. You will need to get the ECM remaped or get a fuel management device such as the Power Commander, Fuelpak, or Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Good point. I was in a rush while at work and missed that he stated the year.

MH

Old 03-25-2010, 12:22 PM
erikajane
Stage IV

whats the difference between a stage 1 and any filter?

Old 03-25-2010, 01:13 PM
MechsHands
Road Captain

stage 1 refers to replacing the stock air filter with a free flowing air filter (choose one based on looks as the after market ones all function about the same), changing the pipes either with slip ons or a complete exhaust, and retuning or rejetting (depending on year of the bike) 07's and above require retuning/remapping with a fuel control management system like the power comander, and 06 and earlier requires rejetting.

When you replace the air cleaner changing the amount of air the engine gets, you will need to change the scheduling of the fuel via a PC3 etc because it leans out the mixture which causes it to run hotter and not as efficeintly and it will run roughly.

Hope this helps. There is alot of information about this int he forum. Search for stage 1, taxes paid, things like that.

MH

Old 03-25-2010, 01:21 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by MechsHands
stage 1 refers to replacing the stock air filter with a free flowing air filter (choose one based on looks as the after market ones all function about the same), changing the pipes either with slip ons or a complete exhaust, and retuning or rejetting (depending on year of the bike) 07's and above require retuning/remapping with a fuel control management system like the power comander, and 06 and earlier requires rejetting.

When you replace the air cleaner changing the amount of air the engine gets, you will need to change the scheduling of the fuel via a PC3 etc because it leans out the mixture which causes it to run hotter and not as efficeintly and it will run roughly.

Hope this helps. There is alot of information about this int he forum. Search for stage 1, taxes paid, things like that.

MH
To better clarify, Stage 1 involves replacing the the air filter can (housing) and the filter, with a high flow assembly.

A high flow (K&N) filter in the stock can isn't going to give you what's needed for Stage 1.

Quick Reply: stage one filter in a stock cover